My Latest Jazz Recordings 50,s Gretsch kit

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice Bob. After the intro, the composition reminded me more of early Chicago / Pheonix horns stuff :)

I liked the drum capture overall - entirely appropriate to the music. If I was being picky, I'd suggest the hats were somewhat prominent & bright, + the bass drum lacked a touch of "weight".

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thanks all,
the BD was a bit light in some of the recordings. It works well in the lighter tunes but I should remix a few of the tunes where it should be louder.
When I get into Jazz mode I have a light right foot :)

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
nice stuff

but did you recognise: No 4 - Straight no chaser

just after counting in: you all slow down - or did you start too fast? was it too fast for the horns technically probably? (not the easiest one by the way...)

Bernhard

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
nice stuff

but did you recognise: No 4 - Straight no chaser

just after counting in: you all slow down - or did you start too fast? was it too fast for the horns technically probably? (not the easiest one by the way...)

Bernhard
Thank You Bernhard, and Yes, the horns are not able to play Straight No Chaser to my speed. This has been an ongoing issue. They are getting better at it though. I have a recording from last year where they came in even slower. I will continue to push them. :)
I like that tune when it is played fast. The Buddy Rich Band arrangement is my favorite.
Cottontail is another tune that they struggle with tempo.
The horn players encourage me to push them on the uptempo tunes.

We also struggle with slow ballads. None of us are as comfortable as we would like to be with playing slow and we are currently working on several slow tunes.