My Last Drum Set?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Who am I kidding? :ROFLMAO: This should probably be my last set, but you never know.

Since getting back into drumming, I've tried a variety of configurations,
and am most comfortable with a 5 pc. with a 20" bass drum (18" bop kits are cool too though).

I wanted Ludwig Classic Maples for sure,
but the closest they come is the Downbeat set 12/14/20 - no 10" tom, no bass drum mount, and no double tom mount.
I checked new prices, and decided it would be a bit much, seeing as how I don't gig, and have a few sets already.

So, I decided to play the waiting game for a used set. I thought one would never turn up, but they did, and here they are:

(one pic in case the link gets messed up)

Attachments

• 3_birdfront - Copy.JPG
    3_birdfront - Copy.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Who am I kidding? :ROFLMAO: This should probably be my last set, but you never know.

Since getting back into drumming, I've tried a variety of configurations,
and am most comfortable with a 5 pc. with a 20" bass drum (18" bop kits are cool too though).

I wanted Ludwig Classic Maples for sure,
but the closest they come is the Downbeat set 12/14/20 - no 10" tom, no bass drum mount, and no double tom mount.
I checked new prices, and decided it would be a bit much, seeing as how I don't gig, and have a few sets already.

So, I decided to play the waiting game for a used set. I thought one would never turn up, but they did, and here they are:
Excellent! Love that finish and the rock sizes! The classic maples are amazing all around...I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Love them!! Good luck!!

Killer !!! You now have "your last set":ROFLMAO: !!!!

I had my last set for 15-16 years before I didnt. Thanks not-so-great recession.

I dont think I have my last kit yet. I would like a couple more pieces first. Then I should be done. Since drums arent my #1 priority in life anymore, I may never finish. So I guess I have my last kit.

I may have actually got my last drum set now . At least I am trying to ensure it is . I cannot justify having more than the three drum sets I have now .I may even pare that down to two if the Big Band I play with doesn’t continue on . I still play in my Rock/Pop trio and I am trying to assemble a small Acoustic jazz trio as well . Regardless I really don’t need anymore kits . I love what I have now and I love the sizes . I have realized as well that I don’t need the flagship model of some drum maker anymore . I just need good shells with reliable well thought out hardware . No more Yamaha PHX, Craviotto, Sonor SQ2 ; Tama Star level kits for me .

Excellent! Love that finish and the rock sizes! The classic maples are amazing all around...I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Thanks, but I think they're more what's called 'fusion' sizes. Rock would be bigger - like a 22 or 24" bass drum.
But I'm loving them just the way they are.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I think they're more what's called 'fusion' sizes. Rock would be bigger - like a 22 or 24" bass drum.
But I'm loving them just the way they are.
Yeah, I misread the post and thought you moved up to the big sizes, but you went the other way. How do you like the sound and feel of the 20” kick? I had a 20” super classic kick once and it sounded a lot bigger.

I'm used to the size, I've had a half dozen sets or so with a 20" bass drum.
The bass drum sounds very good, but not spectacular, but I haven't messed with it too much yet.
All the toms, on the other hand, sound fantastic. Really easy to dial in the tuning too.
The snare is going to take some getting used to for me. I'm really used to using a 13" snare now.
I wish Ludwig would make more 13" snares.

Last edited:
Congrats! I too am the proud owner of a Ludwig Classic Maple set in Oyster Black Pearl with 14×20 bass drum. I really like the rendition of OBP on your kit...not the bowling ball variety, LOL. Mine are stamped 1999 with the flat keystone badges. Bought used as well in 2007, the rest of the set is: 8×12, 9×13, 14×14, and 16×16. I really dig the cast badges yours have. They look to be from no earlier than 2012(?). Have fun with them Wild Bill, I think you will enjoy the warmth and tuning range of those versatile beauties!

Which direction are you heading? I see you've got your Classic Maples up for sale.
East....... Rochester NY from my home in Pittsburgh. You should have bought my CMs!! Beautiful kit in like new condition for cheap! Sizes are a bit bigger than your new ones. Congrats on your new kit!

Congrats! I too am the proud owner of a Ludwig Classic Maple set in Oyster Black Pearl with 14×20 bass drum. I really like the rendition of OBP on your kit...not the bowling ball variety, LOL. Mine are stamped 1999 with the flat keystone badges. Bought used as well in 2007, the rest of the set is: 8×12, 9×13, 14×14, and 16×16. I really dig the cast badges yours have. They look to be from no earlier than 2012(?). Have fun with them Wild Bill, I think you will enjoy the warmth and tuning range of those versatile beauties!
Yes - I've seen a lot of variations of black/oyster/pearl, but I like the current Vintage Black Oyster best.
The cast badges really set it off right.
I've only had this set a short time, but I'm fully bonded with it already.

I thought they looked fairly new, but I just ran across a chart that decodes the current stickers inside the drums.
Mine were made in July of 2018.

Last edited:
East....... Rochester NY from my home in Pittsburgh. You should have bought my CMs!! Beautiful kit in like new condition for cheap! Sizes are a bit bigger than your new ones. Congrats on your new kit!

A 5 pc. 20" bass drum set is how I roll.
But when I saw your set up for sale, I immediately started toying with the idea of picking it up to have a 10/12/13/14/16/20/22 shell bank.
You're heading in the wrong direction though. :ROFLMAO:

It's a good thing too, because if I don't cool it a bit, my wife could throw a hissy fit. :LOL:

It's all good. My Wife has basically run up the white flag when it comes to drum buying. She's really cool in that regard. She knows I don't get beat on deals and that it all comes out in the wash. If I don't sell them, oh well. :cool:

I'm used to the size, I've had a half dozen sets or so with a 20" bass drum.
The bass drum sounds good, but not spectacular, but I haven't messed with it too much yet.
All the toms, on the other hand, sound fantastic. Really easy to dial in the tuning too.
The snare is going to take some getting used to for me. I'm really used to using a 13" snare now.
I wish Ludwig would make more 13" snares.
I have a 2019 model clubdate kit with a 14 x 20 kick. I'm using an Evans EMAD 1 with a custom graphics 1ply reso 3" port and it sounds great. Sounded great with the stock Ludwig reso also. Glad you found a good kit.

Back