My kit got a makeover.

My first "pro-level" kit was a 7-piece, so that was sort of a baseline starting point for me. I kept removing pieces one-by-one, mostly to make gigging/transport easier. But I also like the changes. Just as you modify and redefine your playing when you add a piece, you have to do the same when you remove a piece. It can lead to interesting ideas and different ways of playing that you hadn't considered before. I recommend giving it a try for a while in a practice context. It might just give you some new ideas, and of course, there is no commitment. You can always go back to your preferred setup and apply the ideas you came up with in the stripped-down setup.

I'm like 25 minutes from Oakland. What band/s you play with?

Hi Watso. At the moment, I am "in between projects." I was with a cover band for a while, then moved on to an originals band. The last band dissolved after a couple of members moved out of town, and then I took a few years off. Now I want to get something going again, which was the inspiration for the kit makeover. Before getting back out there, I wanted to get the kit back in shape and address all those issues that I used to just deal with in the past. I also have some ideas for integrating some electronics into the kit, but that is momentarily on hold until I get the funds together. All the while, I've been looking for new people to collaborate with, but that has been a slow process.

Yea dude, I know how that goes. Good news is, Oaktown is full of bands looking for drummers according to Craigslist, I was just perusing for a new project too! Get back out!

Hey, if you ever find yourself near Livermore on a Wednesday, hit me up. We got a cool jam thing going on Wednesdays at a bar right downtown, I help run it, and serve as house drum slave. Come play a few songs!

That sounds like fun, and I will totally go if I get a chance. I get out to Livermore once in a while, usually to float on inner tubes at Del Valle on hot days. Thanks for the invite, and good luck with your project search!

Back