My Gretsch New Classics are finally here!!

Cleforo

The deliveryman got scared when I shouted "YESSSS!!!" the moment I saw him.

So, as the title says, my Gretsch New Classic Bops are finally here! I also realised it was the first time I got completely new drums, as it was my first "unboxing" experience. The drums were boxed in a very, very secure and tidy manner. Already that was something I found awesome!

Today I've only done an exterior quality check, since I couldn't wait to try the kit out. After noticing that the exterior was flawless I started setting up the drums. This is my first kit with a virgin bass drum, and I had some trouble getting the 12" tom mounted off a cymbal stand. I managed though, but I'll have to find a more simple way to do this for all the gigs.

I had a Gretsch Full Range snare in a natural finish with wood hoops that matched the set (Satin Walnut), so I set it up with the rest of the kit. Then added my Gibraltar flat-based hardware (which I find great, even the Hi-Hat stand!) and Meinl Byzance Jazz cymbals.
The 12" tom tuned up very, very nicely. It certainly has that Great Gretsch Sound. The 14" tom I had to work with a bit more, but ultimately I got it to open up just like the 12". The bass drum is amazing - round, warm, "Gretschy" sounding with a lot of punch.

Anyway, here are some pictures!

I'll try to find a better camera to get some better quality pictures taken. I'll also try to post a video using my zoom q3 so you can hear the sonic attributes of the kit!

Tomorrow I'll start the interior quality check, lubricating the lugs and changing heads to my preference.

Very happy with the kit!

/Oskar

EDIT:

Here's the link to a video of me and my babies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qSMl000aQ

Last edited:

millerscapes

Wow! Beautiful kit!! Can't wait to hear some sound samples! Just something special about a brand new kit, huh?!

Congrats!!!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Those are nice! Congrats! Is this a new Gretsch line? I've never seen those lugs before. Where do these fall in the Gretsch hierarchy?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Very nice. Great photos. Now we must have a sound byte or two. I think you'll find the inside to look as good as the outside. Not too many quality control issues from my experience. Congrats on your first new set and the fun of unpacking. BO, the new Classics have been out for a while and there are a few companies that have similar styled lugs. They are between the Renown and the USA Customs.

Edit; I misspoke. The new Brooklyn Series is one step above these and one below the USA Custom.

FRom what I am finding they started this model in 2007

Last edited:

dmacc_2

At long last.... Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy them as much as the rest of us enjoy ours.

Not that you would want to, but I use a Yamaha double tom stand for my left side which nicely accommodates (1) the tube for the 12" tom and (2) tubes from a cymbal stand. It eliminated the need for the multi-clamp. Just wouldn't give you the same look you currently have. Makes setup on gigs a breeze.

A

audiotech

Nice looking kit. The lugs do look a bit alien to me too, unlike the New Classic lugs that I've seen before.

Dennis

wsabol

Gold Member
Those are nice! Congrats! Is this a new Gretsch line? I've never seen those lugs before. Where do these fall in the Gretsch hierarchy?
New Classics are up there with the Brooklyn series near the tippy top. The only difference between these are the USA Customs are the hardware (lugs and claws) and the shell thicknesses, which get gradually get thinner as the drums get smaller. Really awesome kit. Love it! Congrats!!

Last edited:

Shirai

Gretsch needs to start including complimentary microfiber towels with their high end kits so the owners have something to wipe up all the drool from people who see them.

That is gorgeous.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Lovely new kit! Congrats!

I have thought about this kit several times, but I'm not fond of the 22X18 kick drums. If they offered a 22X14, I'd probably own a set already.

edvia

New Classics are up there with the Brooklyn series near the tippy top. The only difference between these are the USA Customs are the hardware (lugs and claws) and the shell thicknesses, which get gradually get thinner as the drums get smaller. Really awesome kit. Love it! Congrats!!
Actually, there's no gumwood in the New Classics, they're 100% maple. So in essence they're more like the Renown Maple series, except for the lugs and proportionate shell thicknesses (they're even made in the same factory in Taiwan). And yes, I know their marketing copy says "Gretsch-formula maple shells", however I've been assured by a Gretsch rep that they're 100% maple. Not sure what the "formula" is referring to.

BTW, SUPER-nice kit! Gumwood or not, I bet those sound great. They certainly look great!

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Not sure what the "formula" is referring to.

The formula is the graduated shell thickness, along with the silver sealer, 5 lugs etc. I've drilled NEW CLASSIC shell's b/f, they're all maple like the badge on them says.

Attachments