My first REAL drumming video

joshvibert

Very nice playing and great sounds. How was it recorded?
Thank you! Recorded in my living room into Protools. A buddy of mine is a sound engineering grad from MTSU and helped me with that part. I'm working on getting my own setup, but just not there yet.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Nice playing, and I agree with the poster before me who said it sounded really nice.

I have two questions for you. What is the stand that you have next to your hats? How do you mount it?

Thanks!

joshvibert

Nice playing, and I agree with the poster before me who said it sounded really nice.

I have two questions for you. What is the stand that you have next to your hats? How do you mount it?

Thanks!
Thanks man! Here's a writeup I did on that little table when I built it:

I've been thinking I could use a little table in my setup to hold a metronome, ipod, shakers, whatever within easy reach. I know Gibraltar, Meinl, and some other folks make clamp-on units, but I have better things to sped $50+ on. Besides, I enjoy making things. So, after some planning in my head while at work yesterday, I stopped by Home Depot on my way home yesterday and grabbed some thin carpet and trim; then headed home to see what I could do. I already had some 1/4" Luan plywood at home and I thought that was perfect for the base to keep it lightweight. I decided that 12" x 12" would be a good size and Home Depot had 4" carpet sample squares I was able to get for free, so that worked out. However, in order to leave room for the 3/4" stop molding on the outside of the carpet, I cut the plywood square 13-3/8" x 13-3/8". Awhile back I drilled my Session floor toms for legs, so I had a couple Optimounts sitting around. I disassembled one and used the top part with the tom arm clamp to attach the table to a stand. The 1/4" plywood was really thin and I was concerned about how much engagement I would get from the screws holding the top of the Optimount to the plywood, so I used a small piece of 1 x 6 I had laying around as a backer between the Optimount and the plywood. I used wood glue and some 5/8" brads to attach the 1 x 6 to the bottom of the plywood. I cut the 3/4" stop molding and attached that to the outside edges of the top of the plywood, also with wood glue and brads. Then, I used 3M spray adhesive to attach the carpet squares to the top of the plywood inside the trim. The trim sticks up above the carpet enough to prevent a shaker from rolling off, but not so much that you have to reach "into" it to get the shaker. I taped off the carpet with blue painters tape and then sprayed all the wood black with Krylon spray paint. Finally, once it was dry, I used 2 screws with large plastic washers on each side of the Optimount to attach it to the underside of the 1 x 6. I'm pretty stoked about it! I've got rehearsal tonight for a gig this weekend where I'll be using it for shakers and I expect it will perform well. In the pics i have it sitting in the bottom of a Pearl snare stand, but I could also clamp it to my hi-hat stand or something else if I need to.

Chunky

Silver Member
I really enjoyed this.
By the way, I love that trick you did with the shaker, moving it over the different panned mics. I've never seen that done before but, I'll remember it!

Just realised there's another Chunky on these forums. I am not alone! Found my own kind, I knew they existed! Greetings Chunkaway!

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Loving the hi hat control you've got going on there. Your mixing is absolutely appropriate for this kind of material, too. I also like the minor variations on snare tone.

This is not what I expected, I'll be honest. I'm impressed though!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Wonderful!!! I liked the intro especially. Shakers are so under used by kit players. I've started to introduce some shaker into our live shows :)

Really impressive playing - I liked everything about the video. Nice job!!!

joshvibert

Wow, thanks so much you guys! Way kinder feedback than I could have hoped for. I agree about the shaker and aux percussion in general being under-utilized on the kit. I totally dig it, but like anything else...tastefully and in its turn.

hyruleherojoe

That snare sound.... Just wow... What is it? A Black Beauty? Tuned to perfection??? Amazing playing. Just groooove. I can just doze and bop to this. Love it.

joshvibert

That snare sound.... Just wow... What is it? A Black Beauty? Tuned to perfection??? Amazing playing. Just groooove. I can just doze and bop to this. Love it.
Thanks a bunch, man! That snare is actually one of the best-kept secrets of the drum gear world (in my humble opinion). It's a 6.5 x 14 Pork Pie BOB. However, the real key to the sound is in the setup. Die Cast hoops, Remo CS batter head, Puresound 30 strand wires. I got here by trying to replicate some of the early Carter Beauford snare sounds I heard and someone switched me on to the Paradise Drums "Hitmaker" snare as being what was on those records. I just duplicated that setup (though my drum is tuned lower than Carter's).

joshvibert

I was reviewing this again and realized I dropped a stick. I had completely forgotten about that. Did any of you catch it? (Nobody mentioned it).

Max Brodin

I absolutely enjoyed that, man!!

Make more videos! :)

I agree with others about how nice your snare sounds and the stereo shakers thing!

radeq

Gold Member
great playing and technique :) I didnt notice the stick drop, but a minor tempo issues, they;re really minor, but they can infulence the whole vibe.....it's hard to master it...I'm noticinf these issues also at my playing... thanks for sharing the video, great job

joshvibert

great playing and technique :) I didnt notice the stick drop, but a minor tempo issues, they;re really minor, but they can infulence the whole vibe.....it's hard to master it...I'm noticinf these issues also at my playing... thanks for sharing the video, great job
Thanks man, and yeah about the timing issues...the problem is the track I'm playing to was recorded live, so the band is following Chad. There's no way to put it to a click and it's hard to anticipate when he'll speed up or slow down. So, you know, you're just grooving along and then all of a sudden, the next hit comes and, "oops, they sped up or slowed down a little while there was space in the music."

Oh well.

radeq

Gold Member
Thanks man, and yeah about the timing issues...the problem is the track I'm playing to was recorded live, so the band is following Chad. There's no way to put it to a click and it's hard to anticipate when he'll speed up or slow down. So, you know, you're just grooving along and then all of a sudden, the next hit comes and, "oops, they sped up or slowed down a little while there was space in the music."

Oh well.

aaah yes, I understand that, and I totally agree, when it's live recording with some tempo issues it is hard to repeat even your self, nor a stranger...So thumbs up that you could do it