My first music video with Gloryhammer!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Do please excuse me from posting this here rather than in the 'your playing' bit but this is a big deal for me and I really want to share it with my friends here! Honourable moderators, feel free to move it should you deem its presence here inappropriate.

Gloryhammer - Angus McFife

This is the first video and single from the album 'Tales from the Kingdom of Fife' which I played on, and it represents a big step up for me in terms of the professionalism of my drumming activities!

(...) posting this here rather than in the 'your playing' bit (...)
How did you guess my first thought? ;-)

That video is made absolutely professionally in my book, both in terms of visuals and sound. Personally the music doesn't floor me - it is organic and everything makes sense but when the intro started I first thought: Wait - is this Luca Turilli, Rhapsody or one of those many many Italian and non-Italian melodic symphonic epic Hollywood etc etc bands? You know what I mean... The band does a pretty good job though - you have a great singer, the other musos are fine, too. It's just that the style has been done for long enough - if not too long - to be interesting. It was ok to listen to it but never floored me. I think I've already listened to another Gloryhammer track that was more unique.

The video is fine overall. I think there's a bit too much activity going on, if I could set my hand on the 'fancy setting' of the video I'd lower it by, say, 15-20%. Would still be enough to be entertaining but without the tendency/impression to try to 'attract' the viewer by effects, colouration or hastiness of scene/perspective changes.

Overall - congrats, absolutely!

Hi Arky,

I don't think you will have heard any other tracks yet as this is the first one that's been made publically available. Your appraisal is spot on, in fact this whole thing is more or less intended as a sort of pastiche or even a parody of that exact style of music, right down to the broken english of the lyrics! But we're being incredibly deadpan about it. Seriously though, the story that's being told is so silly I'm amazed so few people have noticed yet.

Oh, and hi Tom! Our messages must have crossed in the ether. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ben,
now this is really interesting... Because there are bands for sure that do this thing dead serious... but tend to come across in a ridiculous way. I couldn't detect this tendency in your video - either I'm doo tumb or it's not too obvious ;-) Now if it's really meant as a kind of parody I wonder what audience might appreciate this, and even why.

I forgot to mention that the only video by Rhapsody I saw came across really weak/ridiculous - and those belong to the 'serious' band - while your video was ZERO annoying (it just didn't hit full score in my eyes/ears, but that's subjective of course). Which is a huge achievement.

Well you did post a link to some other band you're in then, I must have confused this. It was a heavier style overall.

Ben, is this the stuff you recorded in Germany last year (was it Germany?)

Anyhow - I just loved it! As someone who doesn't listen to this kind of material, I found it very easy to access. TBH, I'm not sure if you'll find that to be an insult - a boring old fart like me really liking it ;)

Your playing was right on the money for me. Punchy, tight, & driving in all the right places. Other players are all good too. I especially liked the vocals, & the vocal treatment, plus the overall Gallic vibe. No complaints whatsoever about the audio - top notch stuff. I got the video - lyric - story link too. I'm not so sure an international audience will quite pick up on the slightly "tongue in cheek" aspect of this. I got it - big time - but then I am a Python fan :)

Overall, professionalism right up there, & a great song too IMO. I really look forward to seeing/hearing more. Congratulations!!!!

Ben,
now this is really interesting... Because there are bands for sure that do this thing dead serious... but tend to come across in a ridiculous way. I couldn't detect this tendency in your video - either I'm doo tumb or it's not too obvious ;-) Now if it's really meant as a kind of parody I wonder what audience might appreciate this, and even why.

I forgot to mention that the only video by Rhapsody I saw came across really weak/ridiculous - and those belong to the 'serious' band - while your video was ZERO annoying (it just didn't hit full score in my eyes/ears, but that's subjective of course). Which is a huge achievement.

Well you did post a link to some other band you're in then, I must have confused this. It was a heavier style overall.

Maybe this is an example of british humour...in fact, part of the fun of it was that we thought that the principle audience (germans!) would probably not notice the joke and just take it at face value! We're totally serious about making the music as good as we can, but we're not serious about the whole fantasy thing.

Ben, is this the stuff you recorded in Germany last year (was it Germany?)

Anyhow - I just loved it! As someone who doesn't listen to this kind of material, I found it very easy to access. TBH, I'm not sure if you'll find that to be an insult - a boring old fart like me really liking it ;)

Your playing was right on the money for me. Punchy, tight, & driving in all the right places. Other players are all good too. I especially liked the vocals, & the vocal treatment, plus the overall Gallic vibe. No complaints whatsoever about the audio - top notch stuff. I got the video - lyric - story link too. I'm not so sure an international audience will quite pick up on the slightly "tongue in cheek" aspect of this. I got it - big time - but then I am a Python fan :)

Overall, professionalism right up there, & a great song too IMO. I really look forward to seeing/hearing more. Congratulations!!!!

Yeah, this is the stuff from last year! I'm very glad you enjoyed it, I think we'd like to reach as many people with this as possible.

I actually enjoyed that.Your playing was solid,and everything you did served the music.In fact the whole band seemed to be,and working the music and holding back just enough.

Love the David Coverdale/James LaBrie style vocals.It all conjured the whole middle ages sorcerers and superhero knight with sidekick thing..Nice work.

Steve B

in fact this whole thing is more or less intended as a sort of pastiche or even a parody of that exact style of music, right down to the broken english of the lyrics! But we're being incredibly deadpan about it.

Good thing I read this, because while the music is good, the video and lyrics come off as a Monty Python sketch.

I keep expecting a one arm Knight nights to come on screen and saw "it's only a flesh wound!" LOL.

Good thing I read this, because while the music is good, the video and lyrics come off as a Monty Python sketch.

I keep expecting a one arm Knight nights to come on screen and saw "it's only a flesh wound!" LOL.

Excellent! And as the Pythons themselves knew only too well, you have to present something seriously in order to make it as hilarious as possible.

Excellent! And as the Pythons themselves knew only too well, you have to present something seriously in order to make it as hilarious as possible.
Exactly! The very essence of Python is they're outwardly taking it all very seriously.

Great music Ben. BTW, who was the young boy actor? Might have been good to have the police come in C/W modern vehicles, etc & arrest you all at the end :)

The Poe's law is strong in this one!

Is that a bit like Cole's Law?

Exactly! The very essence of Python is they're outwardly taking it all very seriously.

Great music Ben. BTW, who was the young boy actor? Might have been good to have the police come in C/W modern vehicles, etc & arrest you all at the end :)

Ha! It all turned out more medieval than I expected, I thought there would be more anachronisms. The young boy actor is a young boy actor! His name is Anton. We weren't really involved in that side of things, we just let the video company get on with it. It was nice not to have to arrange anything for once!

I'm very relieved to hear that this is intended to be funny, because I laughed a lot.

Back