My first deer!

someguy01

Platinum Member
I had no idea they could climb.
I watched one run up a telephone pole when the neighbors dog saw it, the raccoon was so fat the pole wobbled when he ran up.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I had no idea they could climb.
They usually nest in tree hollows-they love trees. I was squirrel hunting years ago and right at the top was a Momma with three babies climbing like monkeys. I thought it was a cougar at first-looked like one animal. I always thought fox squirrels lived just on ground but they love trees too. Years ago I was deer hunting and as it was starting to get light I kept hearing what sounded like monkeys in my tree. Then I could see these big shadows moving all over-it was 7 big mature fox squirrels. Freaked me out. Oh man I was hunting one day and this fox squirrel goes bouncing through tall grass in a pine stand. Well I see this head moving above the tall grass. It took a bit but then I realized it was a huge diamondback in hunt mode after the fox squirrel. I know it was over 6 ft and had at least a 3 in wide head-it was huge. Had head up like a cobra gliding and flicking that tongue. It looked like an anaconda. It would be groin high to me with its head up when I walked over to grass stand-one big mother. Never seen one larger.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I bet mice, rats, and squirrels chew up some electrical lines -they sure chew everything else up. I bet they cause lots of fires.
My father-in-law has had a squirrel infestation. I set traps-no luck. He hired a service and they set traps-no luck. We did find a nest-and looks like it's second year of nesting. So the service closed up all entry ways they found-they'd been scurrying all over the place-scat everywhere. But the vermin chewed right through it and about halfway a 2x4. Closed it off again. Now the plan is if they return corn and my pellet gun LOL. They obviously had been trapped before cause they wouldn't come to peanuts, peanut butter, sunflower seeds or corn-the later two usually irresistible. The worse and most expensive to treat is a bat infestation-in my state all bat species are protected species . So the bats have the advantage-you might need to just move out LOL.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I bet mice, rats, and squirrels chew up some electrical lines -they sure chew everything else up. I bet they cause lots of fires.
When I bought my house a few circuits didnt work. The plan was to rewire anyhow, so no big deal. I found two wires in two different rooms that were completely chewed through. How a fire didnt start is beyond me.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Vermin. Reminds me when first introduced to idea of eating a squirrel. I was heck no it’s a big rat. But turns out I love rat. Lol

Even dang woodpeckers can be an issue too. My eldest brother had a big pileated woodpecker peck his farm house to bits.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The three deer were back again today. They were eating the unwanted crack corn the birds kicked out of the feeder. They spent probably 20-30 minutes in the back yard.
20220127_194736.jpg

Reactions: A J