My first deer!

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Your either a producer or consumer, the carbon cycle has a slow geochemical process and a large biological one. Most of the carbon dioxide in atmosphere is fixed by producers and so more consumer biomass more is sequestered in complex diverse ecosystems. We’ve been losing biomass for thousands of years , and domesticated most plants and animals so many wild type extinct- apparently cannabis has been domesticated so long it’s wild type lost. Plants alone don’t cut it - meat is not the enemy - though I agree too much of plant or animal can be problematic. It’s eating a balanced diet of veggie, fruits, nuts and animal protein. All animal protein contains all essential amino acid da needed for protein synthesis , whereas most plants, except busckwhest and quinoa I think are incomplete lacking certain amino acids. Generally it’s easier for humans digestion to absorb proteins , minerals and vitamins from animal sources ( although there is genetic variation in certain populations) . B vitamins especially rich in animal. So you have to really know your plant protein limitation to reach dietary needs eating the varieties needed. I’m sure it’s like lactose intolerance so adaptations to diets promote some genetic differences. I lose weight reducing carbs while my wife loses weight reducing her fat content. Just like genetic disposition to where you gain weight. I think people need to listen to their bodies.I remember one study in children where they gave them a table of options from junk to healthy. Initially they went for junk but over time they ended up eating a fairly balanced diet. There just isn’t one size fits all that just doesn’t fly with genetic diversity and polymorphisms. Really like the US jobbed off much of their carbon footprint to overseas industry we eliminated and limited wild life such the biomass replaced by domesticated ones. We need biomass to sequester more carbon with normal gigaton budgets in our food chains.

felonious69

Gold Member
There just isn’t one size fits all
Yup!
It's the people that get off on killing that irk me. And the ammosexuals.
If I go to my garden and hack off a stalk of broccoli at the ground, it is no longer alive and I will consume it. And I didn't have to wait in a tree when it's zero degrees to do it. Actually...it might still be alive and suffering for a while, but it's hard to tell.
Meanwhile, I just finished my Saturday morning ribeye and eggs with English muffins, and I am full!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yup!
It's the people that get off on killing that irk me. And the ammosexuals.
If I go to my garden and hack off a stalk of broccoli at the ground, it is no longer alive and I will consume it. And I didn't have to wait in a tree when it's zero degrees to do it. Actually...it might still be alive and suffering for a while, but it's hard to tell.
Meanwhile, I just finished my Saturday morning ribeye and eggs with English muffins, and I am full!

And you showed absolutely no concern for the bugs living on that broccoli either.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Because of Eskimo ancestry I have to eat whale blubber - just kidding. I think it’s genomics, proteomics, metabologenomics of the individual just like cancer treatments now.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Bugs are a great source of animal protein.

Hewitt2

As long as you're not hurting anyone, you can do exactly what you like.

If you don't enjoy growing and educating yourself, we have absolutely nothing in common.

I couldn’t agree more! Reducing harm is core to my values as a person.

I place my trust in the experts who have vastly more knowledge in these fields than I do. There is no need for me to question the science that has been settled for quite some time that a properly managed plant-based diet is healthy and creates a far lower carbon footprint than a meat-based one.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I couldn’t agree more! Reducing harm is core to my values as a person.

I place my trust in the experts who have vastly more knowledge in these fields than I do. There is no need for me to question the science that has been settled for quite some time that a properly managed plant-based diet is healthy and creates a far lower carbon footprint than a meat-based one.

Well, I'm sure there are more appropriate places to interrogate than in a thread where someone just wanted to share an experience that meant something to them.

If you truly believed what you're saying, you wouldn't feel the need.

You could always start your own thread about this and share your philosophy.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I would guess the Berkowitz, Dahmer, Gacy, Bundy types...
Just a guess.

I don't really think so. Some people just don't see other animals as living things, they're just "things". Targets.
I was like this myself until I was about 14.

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
I liked your comment, but on the other hand, that sort of detachment is what causes those types of psychos.

There are certainly extreme cases. But psychos are devoid of empathy. Studies suggest it's a deficiency of certain cells in the brain. That's not the same as never having been taught that animals aren't inanimate objects. There's a difference between being an idiot and being sick.

Last edited:
Update:

My brother and I grilled two big venison steaks. They tasted just like beef with zero gamey flavor. They were were leaner and tougher than a quality ribeye, but still utterly delicious!
Acidic type marinades ( minimum one hour) are your friend . And cook medium or med/rare. Many recipes on line. Many use the soda of their choice to tenderize venison steaks. I’ve not tried this yet .
Backstraps should need no tenderizing at all, just salt and pepper, maybe garlic and or onion powder and some melted butter .
Dressing out the animal quick and hanging to age works wonders . Quick kills go a long way also as adrenaline and endorphins coursing through their bloodstream can toughen the meat , so a clean and quick kill is imperative. Also depends on age of the animal and or what they’re eating .
Read all you can about , dressing, aging , and butchering . You’ll be glad you did .

Last edited:

A J

Acidic type marinades ( minimum one hour) are your friend . And cook medium or med/rare. Many recipes on line. Many use the soda of their choice to tenderize venison steaks. I’ve not tried this yet .
Backstraps should need no tenderizing at all, just salt and pepper, maybe garlic and or onion powder and some melted butter .
Dressing out the animal quick and hanging to age works wonders . Quick kills go a long way also as adrenaline and endorphins coursing through their bloodstream can toughen the meat , so a clean and quick kill is imperative. Also depends on age of the animal and or what they’re eating .
Read all you can about , dressing, aging , and butchering . You’ll be glad you did .

Thanks for the info. As you mentioned, I have much more to learn about the processing side of deer hunting.

Aging is something the butcher and I discussed. He prefers fresh over aged. He said some customers bring in deer that's aged to the point of being nasty. I will go "fresh" for future deer and will leave aging to more experienced hunters.

Hewitt2

I don't really think so. Some people just don't see other animals as living things, they're just "things". Targets.
I was like this myself until I was about 14.

Thank goodness you evolved. Reminds me of a famous quote:

What if a greater race of beings were to make flutes or buttons out of our bones? - Thoreau

Hunting is accepted because of our supposed place in the great chain of being and that we have implicit permission to kill "lesser advanced" species. But what if a more advanced species wanted to hunt us?

Lefty Phillips

Congratulations, @A J!

It's been over 2 years since I've been hunting, thanks Covid! Plus, I moved (temporarily!) from Washington to California, so I left my rifle with my hunting buddies, a pair of Lummi brothers who have taught me more about hunting in the past 6 years than I ever learned in my entire life.

Reactions: A J