My first deer!

I don't know, but I DO LOVE those videos of, say, a guy sparring with a moose type critter!

I almost became one of those guys lol , but no video involved . Not even a picture as I had both hands on my rifle…..I had a 15 min 20 yard standoff with a mature bull moose in the middle of nowhere in northern Maine . They’re huge, unpredictable very dangerous and can kill you in seconds .

If I had a moose permit ( lottery for it) , I can, with my luck, safely say I’d never have even seen a moose that year lol 😂

Last edited:

felonious69

Gold Member
I almost became one of those guys lol , but no video involved . Not even a picture as I had both hands on my rifle…..I had a 15 min 20 yard standoff with a mature bull moose in the middle of nowhere in northern Maine . They’re huge, unpredictable very dangerous and can kill you in seconds .

If I had a moose permit ( lottery for it) , I can, with my luck, safely say I’d never have even seen a moose that year lol 😂
If that thing had charged you and you shot it would it have been ok/legal?
After the guy vs moose vid I saw, tag or not, I'm shootin' that sucker!

If that thing had charged you and you shot it would it have been ok/legal?
After the guy vs moose vid I saw, tag or not, I'm shootin' that sucker!

More than likely.
There’d be an investigation of the scene and your explanation of it , but as long as you can articulate fear for your life and they don’t find evidence to the contrary, you’d be ok . But I’m with you ! Not that there’d be a trial by jury, but the saying “Id rather be tried by 12 than carried by six “ is the way I’m leaning if I believe my life is on the line 😉

Stroman

Platinum Member
A word to those who have reservations about hunting: I understand, to a degree. However, my grandfather taught me to hunt, and he felt it was important for people to be in touch with the fact that your life has a cost to the world. Life comes from life. Even if you are vegetarian, the food you eat comes at the expense of habitat. So, I was taught that hunting was a way to learn to respect the relationship between all forms of life.

I know many don't understand, and many disagree, but that's true of every endeavor, isn't it? I would just say, respect and humility has a bigger role than pride for some who hunt.

felonious69

Gold Member
Hunting helps control the natural order of things.
It gets screwed up because of, among other things, encroachment.
I don't know all the math, but...stop killing deer and then their predators (wolves and such) thrive AND the deer also eat all the food. Then there's too many deer predators, so they have to eat something else...Like I said, I never studied the math, but I respect he conclusions of those who do and I do know that poaching upsets that math!

I have nothing against hunting...everything against poaching.
Get caught stealing more than once, you get called a thief.
Get caught poaching more than once, you get called a poacher.
Ted Nugget is a poacher.

Reactions: A J

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..I’m genuinely interested and curious where your coming from with this if in fact you’re a meat eater..

Well, i removed that reply allready about an hours ago, because on second thought i was not really interested to get involved in a discussion regarding guns, hunting, hunting ethics, etc…

I eat meat, yes….no vegetarian….no vegan…and no, never spoke with a hunter in my life….

I am not against hunting either, if hunting is actually needed to keep wildlife in balance in certain areas…

What i have 0 understanding for is the “pride” that someone takes for shooting an animal from 40-50 meter with a gun….as if thats some sort of major accomplishment….like, an animal stands there…harms nothing or no one…you aim……bam…dead….jeej…..food on the table….

I mean, to run after a deer without a gun and try to catch them, would be much more difficult, no..?

And yes, unless someone lives in the wilderness and has to survive, in my view there has to be some sort of “i like killing”-factor too…

I mean, the thread-title is not saying..: “..oh my god i had to kill a deer, because out of principal i only eat meat that lived a natural life and that i kill myself..”

There is a lot wrong with the current mass-meat-industry, i would completely agree on that….which, in a way, makes everyone who contributes to that hypocrite…

My ‘resistance’ of the whole thread is in the way how the first post (and many replies) is written…which could be my interpretation…but…also how the story builds up…..i read a lot of “pride” and “excitement” there…

And, “pride” or “excitement” or “accomplishment” in regards to killing animals…i just have nothing with that…

Like, 0, nada, nothing at all…..that is…..

Hewitt2

As someone who is deeply involved in sustainability, animal welfare, animal rescue organizations, and environmental advocacy groups I always cringe when I see these types of threads come up. Against my better judgment, I ultimately always decide to contribute because this is an issue I feel so passionate about even though I know I am outnumbered.

In prior years, I worked with meat and poultry packaging plants, and have seen the full gamut of commercial and small-scale “ethical” processing of meat. These experiences ultimately caused me to go vegan several years ago and leave the industry.

People need to open their eyes and better understand where their food comes from and the choices they are making. And accept the fact that no animal willingly offers itself up to be consumed, whether it is being farmed or hunted. Are we ok terminating the life of an animal when many of us would lead equally healthy lives with a more plant-based diet?

felonious69

Gold Member
What I have run into a few times is when people (Like Ted) assume I am vegan or some sort of "Non-man" or whatever else their ammo-sexual proclivities lead them to believe, because I don't hunt.
I don't like cold and for a LONG time I believe I was far too angry of an individual to own firearms. For a long time that was a very good choice!

A J

Good for you and the Mrs 🙌🏼. As an ethical hunter poachers piss me off to no end ! 10 years ago in northern Maine my hunting group found a group of drunken idiots jacking moose . It was a wild and dangerous scene , and a long story , but in the end they were all caught and did time . A lot of it ! 2 on parole and one just got out 2 days prior after doing 10 years . All three were serious felons with long criminal histories involving firearms and violent crimes and meth !
Good work, Sir.

One of the reasons I rat out poachers is to protect my own property. I catch them in the adjacent public lands before they even get to my place.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Even if no one ate deer you still have to go in and harvest deer to keep a healthy population of deer. We have healthy pops of deer on our barrier islands because they allow permits to kill so many each year. Really wildlife is very dependent on conservation and human intervention and deer 🦌 is a species that it’s population size always linked to human activities . Really because mammalian wildlife numbers are lower than domesticated mammals on earth the domesticated has replaced the biomass of wildlife so oddly part of carbon cycle as wild ones were. We lost megafauna thousands of years ago and just never stopped mucking with things and domesticating so wild species lost . There has been winners and losers. I’m not sure eliminating domesticated mammals is a good idea unless replace an equal biomass of wildlife. The carbon sequestered by plants needs to go up food chain to life other than just humans-so i diverse functional ecosystem. Like just look how the wolf impacts an ecosystem in the article earlier in thread. Seems we keep making an artificial system purely focused on us and rest of life be damned. Really banning growing rice globally would do more to address climate concerns than limiting domesticated birds and mammals for consumption but that would be insane and cruel since feeds large part of planet.

Last edited:

A J

As someone who is deeply involved in sustainability, animal welfare, animal rescue organizations, and environmental advocacy groups I always cringe when I see these types of threads come up. Against my better judgment, I ultimately always decide to contribute because this is an issue I feel so passionate about even though I know I am outnumbered.

In prior years, I worked with meat and poultry packaging plants, and have seen the full gamut of commercial and small-scale “ethical” processing of meat. These experiences ultimately caused me to go vegan several years ago and leave the industry.

People need to open their eyes and better understand where their food comes from and the choices they are making. And accept the fact that no animal willingly offers itself up to be consumed, whether it is being farmed or hunted. Are we ok terminating the life of an animal when many of us would lead equally healthy lives with a more plant-based diet?
Though you and I might seem polar opposites when it comes to hunting, we're much closer than you think. My entire property is protected by a legal agreement with the Land Conservancy of West Michigan. Every year, professional foresters and experts from Trout Unlimited survey our land and stream. My white pines are some of the largest in the entire county. For all intents and purposes we live on a nature preserve.

A J

Well, i removed that reply allready about an hours ago, because on second thought i was not really interested to get involved in a discussion regarding guns, hunting, hunting ethics, etc…

I eat meat, yes….no vegetarian….no vegan…and no, never spoke with a hunter in my life….

I am not against hunting either, if hunting is actually needed to keep wildlife in balance in certain areas…

What i have 0 understanding for is the “pride” that someone takes for shooting an animal from 40-50 meter with a gun….as if thats some sort of major accomplishment….like, an animal stands there…harms nothing or no one…you aim……bam…dead….jeej…..food on the table….

I mean, to run after a deer without a gun and try to catch them, would be much more difficult, no..?

And yes, unless someone lives in the wilderness and has to survive, in my view there has to be some sort of “i like killing”-factor too…

I mean, the thread-title is not saying..: “..oh my god i had to kill a deer, because out of principal i only eat meat that lived a natural life and that i kill myself..”

There is a lot wrong with the current mass-meat-industry, i would completely agree on that….which, in a way, makes everyone who contributes to that hypocrite…

My ‘resistance’ of the whole thread is in the way how the first post (and many replies) is written…which could be my interpretation…but…also how the story builds up…..i read a lot of “pride” and “excitement” there…

And, “pride” or “excitement” or “accomplishment” in regards to killing animals…i just have nothing with that…

Like, 0, nada, nothing at all…..that is…..

Hunting isn't for everyone and I fully respect your decision not to hunt. For me, it's a great way to enjoy the outdoors and fill the freezer with delicious venison.

Hewitt2

Though you and I might seem polar opposites when it comes to hunting, we're much closer than you think. My entire property is protected by a legal agreement with the Land Conservancy of West Michigan. Every year, professional foresters and experts from Trout Unlimited survey our land and stream. My white pines are some of the largest in the entire county. For all intents and purposes we live on a nature preserve.

That’s wonderful - kudos to you and for sure we have plenty we agree on.

My hope is that maybe one day you will come to see the animals that live on the land as equally deserving protection. 👍

A J

That’s wonderful - kudos to you and for sure we have plenty we agree on.

My hope is that maybe one day you will come to see the animals that live on the land as equally deserving protection. 👍

I don't think you'll ever get me to go that far, but in the meantime we can agree to disagree and still be friends.

madjack956

No offense but you go ahead and eat the bushes, and I'll eat the creatures that eat your bushes.