My first deer!

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Did you see how deer are now infected with Covid - as a bunch of other species. I think 1/3 of deer tested in Ohio carry the virus. No evidence of transmission from deer to humans. Dogs and cats carry COVID too and similarly no evidence of transmission back to humans. However once a virus is endemic in an ecosystem it's just a matter of time. The prion wasting disease is bad in many states and is a growing problem in US.
There's not any difference between killing an animal or plant-both living, reproducing, have mitochondria and respiration (plants also have chloroplast for photosynthesis) some plants are meat eaters, some produce heat, they don't feel pain (no nervous system) but they do respond to chemically to wounds producing glutamate that acts like neurotransmitter in plants and have an innate immunity that recognizes microbes and viruses. Killing life is killing life-size, shape, or kingdom it comes from doesn't matter. All are important part of food chains, ecosystems and our biome . A fungus is a eukaryote just like us- making treating fungi a huge problem. Humans have 20-25k genes the simple yeast has about 6.3k. Plants have the lead in largest genomes-the Australian lungfish has largest of any animal. Having a nervous system doesn't equate to life.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I could take deer right from my back deck with a bow. I never have and probably never will because I like that they come around and aren't scared by me. My long term goal is to hand feed them. I couldn't bring myself to kill one unless I was starving.

Stroman

Platinum Member
That's great! Congrats on your first deer.

I haven't been in a few years, but growing up, my passions were music and hunting. I even got into building traditional bows.

I miss it! Maybe I'll get the chance again before I croak.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I could take deer right from my back deck with a bow. I never have and probably never will because I like that they come around and aren't scared by me. My long term goal is to hand feed them. I couldn't bring myself to kill one unless I was starving.
My brother has them coming up to him while he's playing his guitar in our childhood home backyard. He's divorced and after Mom passed he moved in. No deer in the area till 80s and now they are everywhere in our neighborhood. I could get up in morning and shoot them from my bedroom window but that's called killing not hunting. I remember having to travel to Ga Coast or North GA to see a deer-now South Ga is covered up with them-because a few farmers bought some and released them in 70s (it wasn't a State effort). Now farmers get permits to hire hunters to slaughter them if eating too much of their crops which is so common-I'd rather they be harvested by hunters and managed rather than just kill everything. Near Lake Oconee in GA they had a huge deer boom with some famine, disease, and lots of auto accidents. The State did come in and slaughter them-I think they have a healthy population now. It's sad to me we just can't leave nature to fend for itself but human interference for thousands of years has eliminated that option. We've driven so many species into extinction-hunters for years were part of problem but now hunting=conservation and continued survival of a species. When europeans discovered North America there weren't a lot of deer-but as we entered and cleared land for homes and farming it created habitat that deer thrived-which became food for a thriving population. Then in 1900s deer populations dwindled in US. Now deer populations larger than ever-Texas having the most I think.

Last edited:

Ransan

Yep agree with you Uncle Larry

I may not live in ‘Beautiful Bucks County’ but we have a lot of doe to buck ratio in my NEIGHBORHOOD!

It’d be like shooting fish in a barrel.
I feel sorry for the deer they’ve seemingly no place to go, I’ve been in my house for almost 5 years and we always, always see packs like this.

Really drives our dogs crazy as you can see neighbors fence is open and brings deer closer in.

71F495F4-7ADF-4013-A3C6-B854F0F79879.jpeg5859CFBC-E411-4EDE-BBC5-072A55BAD708.jpeg
But also we (Colorado couple years back) released wolves back into the wild for conservation measure, hopefully they don’t, but wolves are apex and wouldn’t surprise me.
That’s when guns are needed lol.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Wow looks like got too many does-you want a good ratio of bucks to does-1:1 would be optimal. Course this time of year bucks are off fighting and looking for does in estrus. We don't have wolves but when Florida bought Colorado cougars (in 70s) and let them loose in Everglades they followed the food to larger deer populations and larger deer in Georgia. The only problem is the rare Florida cougar is now more endangered because those cats genetically tested have been found to be hybrids of Fla-Mountain lions. I've got some pics of 4 cougars walking by my deer cam. I think having the big cats in Ga is a great thing for the deer population-having a natural predator that isn't a human. This year I saw a badger which I had no idea existed in Ga. Then we've seen glimpses of another animal we have yet to identify???

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Yep agree with you Uncle Larry

I may not live in ‘Beautiful Bucks County’ but we have a lot of doe to buck ratio in my NEIGHBORHOOD!

It’d be like shooting fish in a barrel.
I feel sorry for the deer they’ve seemingly no place to go, I’ve been in my house for almost 5 years and we always, always see packs like this.

Really drives our dogs crazy as you can see neighbors fence is open and brings deer closer in.

View attachment 112232View attachment 112233
But also we (Colorado couple years back) released wolves back into the wild for conservation measure, hopefully they don’t, but wolves are apex and wouldn’t surprise me.
That’s when guns are needed lol.
Does Petco have any blue wilderness deer food?. Can you see if they like brownies or glaze doughnuts?. Do something!..they're hungry!.

felonious69

Silver Member
For one...I don't wanna sit in a tree when it's 20 below and wait for deer to come by. Born and raised in WI and I HATE cold!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Does Petco have any blue wilderness deer food?. Can you see if they like brownies or glaze doughnuts?. Do something!..they're hungry!.
Tractor Supply sells wilderness food. You can draw the deer in with Deer Cane. Apparently they love that stuff. Everyone I know that hunts swears by it.

Ransan

Well, the thing of it is they are kind of a nuisance, and most likely they are already fed.
Not only that, they graze on my trees so that’s enough.

You can tell deer that are used to being game.
These deer aren’t skiddish nor stand-off and have no fear of us people around.

Humans mucking about with guns (in my book) are of far more concern than wolves.
No doubt, but with already bears around who mostly dig through, and tear up trash bins, and occasional coyotes taking small pets.

A walk and happening upon a wolf or two in the neighborhood and you’d not want to be viewed in the same bucket as the deer.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Yep Felonius sitting in a tree period is getting old for me. I've giving up hunting birds, squirrels, everything but deer, and I don't care about fishing anymore either. I really enjoy everything up to sitting in a tree or stalking a deer now I'm observing this year. This year I am also using a portable blind -because I'm tired of carrying a big heavy two-man ladder stand half a mile through the woods and putting it up by myself. I've never had an issue with cold but sitting on cold metal will suck the heat out of a volcano. But I've always like getting into their habitat and figuring out where they bed, travel, feed, and water. A young deer is pretty naive but if and after they make it to three years or four years of age-they have the advantage-sight and smell-and brains. I can legally kill 12 deer a season-so the last 5 years I should have killed 60 deer-but I've only killed 5. I guess I'm not a good hunter and doing my part-but I so enjoy getting in the woods. I've got some great pics of deer from my stand though-so I've got those shots LOL. A "trophy deer" has always been a relative thing comparative to other deer in area and how hard you worked to get it-now I can pay big bucks to go to Illinois and bag a monster buck for monster bucks LOL.

People with guns scare me more than any other predator. I've never carried a gun when scouting or checking out land my whole life, but since I've had people pull guns on me, poachers threaten me, etc. I now carry a pistol when I enter the woods- WTF??? Growing up hunting was centered on good behaviors (always assume a gun is loaded and never point at anything that you don't know what it is and you plan to shoot it, and make sure you leave offspring to hunt next season), but the big deer hunting boom of 80s all the crazies grabbed a gun and headed to the woods to shoot anything and everything-actually shot a friend of mines fiancee as he and she walked through woods with their orange. I've had one fella walk through the woods with his climber then set up and was fixing to climb the very tree I had just climbed-they never even looked up till I whistled. I think I'm just getting too old for this crap.

Introducing natural predators (like the wolf) is usually beneficial-like the turn around of the Yellowstone park ecosystem since wolves re-introduced.
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 3.47.29 PM.png
Here's a good image of changing deer population just in my lifetime of hunting.

Last edited:

Sonar Dave

My first Buck: 1989
My Biggest Buck: 1990

I've hunted all my life in the Uinta-Wasatch Mountain ranges of Utah. After I got my big buck, I lost interest. I don't really like the meat.

Attachments

• 2010-12-13 FirstBuck.jpg
    2010-12-13 FirstBuck.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2010-12-13 BigBuck.jpg
    2010-12-13 BigBuck.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 3
Hm…well…i am no vegetarian….i understand perfectly that an animal is killed for any meat in the supermarket…i also dislike large amounts of animals being transported for hours and hours alive in trucks before getting slaughtered…etc..

But still, i have 0 understanding for the “pride” that someone can have for shooting a deer from 40-50 meters…

If someone would have been able to chase a deer, without a gun, and then be able to actually catch the deer, my respect would be much bigger…

As you may notice….i have nothing with guns, nothing with “ethical” hunting, nothing with needing a gun “to protect my privacy”, nothing, 0, nada, with all of that…

And if all “ethical” hunters call me a hypocrite (since i am no vegetarian), i have even less with that…🙂

I absolutely mean no disrespect and want to understand where you are coming from . And I get some of your points in you post but am confused as it relates to some things .

First I wouldn’t say you’re a hypocrite . Many non vegetarians are conflicted about the manner in which our commercially available food is killed or treated before it arrives on our plate . I’ve got some of my own issues and thoughts there.

Are you thinking that “pride”that comes from taking the life of an animal for food lies solely in the killing of it or ending the life of that animal for killings sake by a hunter . Or seemingly to me , maybe it’s the method that there’s a problem with for you ?

You say chase and catch the animal . Chase how ? On foot? Catch how ? A lasso? Tackle it ? In what manner should the animal be killed when, ….caught ? Strangulation? A knife to the throat? A spear to the heart ?

You say you’re not a vegetarian. Maybe you’re vegan ? By your post , it sounds to me like you do eat meat ? So I’m wondering in what acceptable manner you’d like it to get to your plate if in fact you do eat meat.
I don’t know if I’d necessarily call it “pride” as you say, but there are many reasons to feel good about the harvesting of an animal cleanly, efficiently, and as fast as you can . If that is from 100 yards away with a well placed bullet, so be it . Or should i hide behind and jump out from behind a tree and “catch” him ( it IS possible) and how then should it be dispatched 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I’m genuinely interested and curious where your coming from with this if in fact you’re a meat eater .

Has a hunter told you or can you read the mind of one to know he’s “proud” of simply killing one and or proud of the manner in which it was killed ?
I’m honestly somewhat perplexed by your post but will listen to you with an open mind if you care to respond .

Again , my curiosity is all predicted on the fact that you DO eat meat ?

Last edited:

felonious69

Silver Member
You can draw the deer in with Deer Cane
See...THAT's where I went wrong! Turns out I read the package wrong and put out Crow Cane.
Drew them flying rats right in!

felonious69

Silver Member
In what manner should the animal be killed when, ….caught ? Strangulation? A knife to the throat? A spear to the heart ?
I don't know, but I DO LOVE those videos of, say, a guy sparring with a moose type critter!

felonious69

Silver Member
Man! GetAgrippa's got maps of before Wisconsin was even born!

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I've tried minerals, deer cane, etc. and really the best thing is make a food plot-deer love the open space (just turn the soil and deer smell it and come check it out) and may not even eat much of anything you plant-the same with corn. You'll find raccoons, turkey, birds and squirrel eat more corn than the deer most times. Deer forage so will eat the weeds around the corn pile and turn their nose to the corn-other times you can watch 3 eat 20 lbs of corn in just a couple of days. Early season they prefer wild acorns to corn, then too if the deer aren't use to eating corn agriculturally then corn is a bad food source to bait them with so scientist say.

I have tried chasing and catching a deer when I was young buck. I was running deer with dogs-it was raining and I was soaked in freezing weather. We jumped a big buck in thick of briars-that deer never stood up just ran inches off the ground like a blur-all I could see was antlers. I dumped my boot and took off barefoot with the dogs in hot pursuit. Never came close to catching it. But I did find a young deer with spots caught in fence and was going to take it home as pet. Maybe feed it to my pet gator-that's a joke LOL. Shoot that lil deer about beat me to death-I was a afraid to let go-finally it set itself free leaving me hanging in the fence all beat to hell. Bucks in rut have attacked and killed people but a dang baby I was expecting as much.