My first deer!

A J

I'm 57. Retired Army combat veteran. Never been deer hunting. Always wanted to give it a try. The fact that my wife can't eat park or beef (due to allergies) gave me additional incentive.

A few months ago I bought a license and started tip toeing through my woods. No luck. On December 27th my luck changed.

As soon as I hit the woods I saw 4 deer. They saw me but weren't that impressed. Trotted just out of range. I decided to circle around the back of my property hoping to catch them upwind. It worked.

Just as I emerged from the branches,of some white pines, I saw a big doe standing atop a small hitt at a distance of only 50 meters. She was staring at me motionless; a perfect broadside. I braced my shotgun against a tree, aimed carefully and let loose a 12 gauge slug. The deer jumped and disappeared. I racked another round and walked up the hill.

The deer was laying only about 10-15 meters from initial impact. Stone cold dead. It was the cleanest of kills; exactly what I wanted. When I walked up to the animal I felt a tremendous sense of responsibility. I immediately texted all my experienced deer hunter buddies asking for their help in gutting it. No dice. I decided to do or myself, not really knowing what I'm doing and treating it like very big bluegill.

When I arrived at the butcher, he complimented me on the "excellent" job I did cleaning the animal. He was also very pleased that I brought it to him right away. The other big compliment I received was from my neighbor. When hearing that I stalked the deer, he said "you earned that."

It's all in the freezer. About half of it will be be gifts to close friends. The rest will be special meals.

Neal Pert

I'm 57. Retired Army combat veteran. Never been deer hunting. Always wanted to give it a try. The fact that my wife can't eat park or beef (due to allergies) gave me additional incentive.

A few months ago I bought a license and started tip toeing through my woods. No luck. On December 27th my luck changed.

As soon as I hit the woods I saw 4 deer. They saw me but weren't that impressed. Trotted just out of range. I decided to circle around the back of my property hoping to catch them upwind. It worked.

Just as I emerged from the branches,of some white pines, I saw a big doe standing atop a small hitt at a distance of only 50 meters. She was staring at me motionless; a perfect broadside. I braced my shotgun against a tree, aimed carefully and let loose a 12 gauge slug. The deer jumped and disappeared. I racked another round and walked up the hill.

The deer was laying only about 10-15 meters from initial impact. Stone cold dead. It was the cleanest of kills; exactly what I wanted. When I walked up to the animal I felt a tremendous sense of responsibility. I immediately texted all my experienced deer hunter buddies asking for their help in gutting it. No dice. I decided to do or myself, not really knowing what I'm doing and treating it like very big bluegill.

When I arrived at the butcher, he complimented me on the "excellent" job I did cleaning the animal. He was also very pleased that I brought it to him right away. The other big compliment I received was from my neighbor. When hearing that I stalked the deer, he said "you earned that."

It's all in the freezer. About half of it will be be gifts to close friends. The rest will be special meals.
Well, congratulations, man. I'd imagine you'll always remember that one! I'm sure you and your friends will enjoy the meat.

Reactions: A J

felonious69

Gold Member
Never been hunting, but I love meat!
An old landlord (and school friend) used to give me some venison. I'd cube it, about 1", and marinate it in various concoctions for about two days and use it for shish-kabobs. Yum!
Also makes great summer sausage!
Gongrats on your first!

King Tiger

Nice job! Deer jerky is awesome. I never went hunting myself, but my wife got a 6 point buck over a month ago, . . . . . with our mid-sized Ford suv. That put a whooping on the suv, totaled it, but my wife was okay. The state police officer found the deer just off the highway, he didn't make it. I'm glad it didn't suffer for days afterward.

• Sad

King Tiger

Yup...deer'll do that!
Glad your wife is OK.
If those freaking deer would just follow the rules and cross where there are "Deer Crossing" signs!
I know, right. The signs are a black deer on a yellow sign, easily visible. I don't know how deer can't see them. I mean, after all . . . . .

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Yep the deer have totaled two of my vehicles but I’ve lost count the number of deer I’ve totaled over a lifetime of deer hunting- probably over a hundred. When my wife and I didn’t have a pot to pee in I’d nkill 3-4 to fill my freezer to feed family. That’s pretty common in the south. We don’t eat venison much now so I’m more select looking for a young deer fattened up on corn- like eating veal. Haven’t got one yet - I have till Jan 9th.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
Yep the deer have totaled two of my vehicles but I’ve lost count the number of deer I’ve totaled over a lifetime of deer hunting- probably over a hundred. When my wife and I didn’t have a pot to pee in I’d nkill 3-4 to fill my freezer to feed family. That’s pretty common in the south. We don’t eat venison much now so I’m more select looking for a young deer fattened up on corn- like eating veal. Haven’t got one yet - I have till Jan 9th.
Feeding your family..Ted Nugent would be proud..throwing you a high 5. I'm sure you are aware of his hunting morals.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I saw Ted one time in 70s in a small bar in Tifton Ga- he was terrible. It was years later I discovered he’s not only terrible but an egomaniacal lunatic. He reminds me of my eldest brother actually.
My wife was proud because it helped reduce our debt when she was working on MD and I PhD. We accrued a huge debt that took over a decade to pay off as it was. My professors loved deer jerky which was a plus too.

felonious69

Gold Member
I'm not a hunter either. But I do like meat as my main course! (I won't eat turkey...or muskrat or duck or possum or crawdad...) Beef...Pork...Chicken...Bear...Venison...Fish...(some other) seafoods...I'm there!

And yes, not just once but at least twice...
But when you're an elitist you can buy your way out of trouble.

A J

Not being a hunter I had to look up poaching. When I did I thought uh oh...that ain't good.
Poaching is a serious problem around here. There are lots of people breaking the rules. Fortunately, our county sheriff has been catching some of the worst offenders this year. Just recently they were arresting some meathead for assault at his home. His angry girlfriend/sister led the deputies to a pile of poached deer carcasses.

Salmon poaching has also been a problem; more serious than deer (in my opinion). Since the salmon migrate up our creek to spawn, my wife and I have taken a personal interest in protecting them. We know where the favorite poaching spots are and visit them regularly. My wife actually coordinates directly with the local conservation officer and were able to nab two big-time out-of-state poachers.

felonious69

Gold Member
We know where the favorite poaching spots are and visit them regularly.
You might want to be careful, though. Some poachers are egomaniacal lunatics and will shoot you rather than face responsibility!

felonious69

Gold Member
@A J someone on Amazon asked me (cuz I bought one) if the drum dial would work on what (I think) your profile pic shows.
Told them I am not sure.

The Shepherd

Congrats, well done!

My season was screwed up due to Covid so I only got one out day with the muzzleloader. I saw a few does while perched with my crossbow but they were well out of range.

I usually make up a big pot of deer chili when I have an open jam with friends. It's always a big hit. My wife will also make deer stew which is so lovely on a cold winters night with some fresh bread.....yummm!