My feet aren't working

Guitar Guy

I've been doing some double bass endurance exercises. I lift weights 3x a week and just recently added a short daily cardio session on an exercise bike. Around the time the exercise bike was added my double bass timing and evenness has fallen apart. It sounds like I'm playing very fast swing or something. I attribute it to the new cardio, though it's possible it's just a coincidence.

It's been 3-4 days in a row that I'm failing. Do you think I should take a break, and if so from which element? Or, this might sound crazy but do you think I should just power though it all and keep going and it'll clear up eventually? I can just practice other stuff in the meantime.

Tough question to answer for you. Not feeling what you feel, I don’t think anyone can answer with certainty. I have found that slowing myself down often helps me get past ruts of this kind. Beyond that, I couldn’t tell you. Sorry about the non answer, but hey…

George Lynch and Carrot Top both had to stop lifting weights because it was interfering with their work. Jus' Sayin' 🧐

Take a day or two off and let your legs recover.
Limit serious double bass practice sessions to 3-4x weekly.

You’re overtraining relative to your development level. Don’t increase your workload by more than 10-15% weekly

Slow it down to a bpm that feels good and go from there… :unsure: (y)

....and then from there, slowly speed up until you have an issue, note that tempo, and then stay there until the issue smooths out

sort of like this

1. start with 16ths around 80 bpm
- do this for 1 minute
2. move tempo up 10 clicks
- do this or a minute
3. repeat step 2 until you ind a tempo where bad things happen <- I call this the "trouble tempo"
4. stay at that tempo for the rest of that session

this is the system I use to build speed in both my hands and feet. At the next session, you should be able to work up to the previous trouble tempo and possibly push on

I am still finding that my left loot does not like to play with my right foot past certain tempo ranges. Right now, I lose connection around 140, but have not weorked on drum set stuff "hardcore" for 6 months b/c of scheduling things at work.

The only "weight lifting" I do for double bass is sitting on a yoga ball when I would normally sit in a chair. I feel like the stronger my core is, the better my legs/feet "float" underneath. I have also sat on the yoga ball and played double kick as well, but that is much trickier

It’s reasonable that if your legs are physically changing that adjustments would need to be made to your playing. It would be hard to change drum sticks without it affecting your timing. I’ll run with that analogy.

Power through. Maybe stop focusing on double kick for a while.

I'm guessing the OP is from a younger individual who is developing muscle and playing ability simultaneously. Much of the advice given will be relevant, valid and helpful.

If you're older, like above 50, you are losing or have lost muscle mass. People don't consider that possibility and give less than adequate advice being based on the physiological aspects of a younger person. Many of us here are older. My muscle loss thru my 50s has been dramatic. Kicking has become much harder than 15 years ago when I quit playing altogether. You have to strength train just to maintain what you currently have in muscle. This is important to lifestyle, to remain strong enough not to fall down when you reach 70. strength train. Old people need strength training.

I've started back training double bass and immediately felt muscle soreness after an extended session.

How long have you been playing double bass? I went through stages where my control and endurance would suddenly fall off for no apparent reason. This went on for about the first 3 years (playing every day) until I finally fully developed a proper, consistent pedal technique.

It's been 3-4 days in a row that I'm failing. Do you think I should take a break, and if so from which element? Or, this might sound crazy but do you think I should just power though it all and keep going and it'll clear up eventually? I can just practice other stuff in the meantime.
Depends. Are you a metal drummer? Is double kick a requirement?

If the answer to both of these is yes, power through it. You will have days where you are required to play but are worn out and dont want to. This is where powering through shines.

If your answer to the above is no, then rest. Double kick isnt necessary.

This is just a guess, but either your legs are just cashed or your pedals feel lighter after the cardio.

I've been doing some double bass endurance exercises. I lift weights 3x a week and just recently added a short daily cardio session on an exercise bike. Around the time the exercise bike was added my double bass timing and evenness has fallen apart. It sounds like I'm playing very fast swing or something. I attribute it to the new cardio, though it's possible it's just a coincidence.

Depending on your age and the intensity level of the weight work/cardio work, I'd say it's wrapped up in the whole "rest/recovery" cycle. I'm 63, and work out fairly intensely, both with weights, walking swimming and biking (former triathlete with an arthritic back and surgery on both knees) I find my playing is impacted by working out. Maybe if I were younger, it may not be as big an issue it is form. Thats why I asked your age. I guess if you are under 40, I'd try to power through it. 40+, I think you'll need to recover (day off at least once a week) to optimize your drumming. If I'm gigging on a Saturday, easy swim or a walk on Friday and no work out at all day of gig. Gig day I feel fresh.

Back