My favorite sticks

cjl71178 said:
I've been using Zildjian Z4A wood tips for the past six years...they're awesome. They remind me a lot like the Promark 747's, but they have a little bit more beef at the top of the stick. Not too thick and not too thin.

I'll have to check out that custom drumstick website...for $2.75, i might switch! LOL!

Matt replies: I forgot to mention, if Jeff (from customdrumsticks.com) doesn't have your exact stick, you can actually send him one and he will make them for you. On Drumzilla's Lair (Yahoo Groups) many drummers have reported being very happy with Custom Drumstick's work.

My absolute faves are the old Promark red stripe "jazz" model in oak but sadly they have been discontinued for over ten years

Next closest are the Oak 727s which IMHO are just a bit too thick

And if I can't find any thing else the modern Promark white Oak "Jazz" model although they are about an inch and a half shorter than the original "jazz" red stripe sticks.

System of Adam said:
My absolute faves are the old Promark red stripe "jazz" model in oak but sadly they have been discontinued for over ten years

Next closest are the Oak 727s which IMHO are just a bit too thick

And if I can't find any thing else the modern Promark white Oak "Jazz" model although they are about an inch and a half shorter than the original "jazz" red stripe sticks.

Hi Adam,

What size were those red stripe jazz sticks?

Matt

I really liked those vic virth american classic metal n sticks. Nice and thick with good rebound. Too bad I broke one in two days.

Last edited:
Vic Firth Signature Series Peter Erskine... These sticks are amazing! I also like the vic Firth American Custom SD2 Bolero and the Vic Firth American Custom SD4 Combo... Go VicFirth!!!

I couldn't agree more on the Peter Erskine Vic Firth's -- I've been using the Erskine "Ride Stick" for the past year and love them. A great stick for playing jazz ride patterns and a beefy enough to play pop / rock. Great sticks.

Vater 5A (nylon or wood)
Vic Virth Generals & Boleros
Regal Tip 550W brushes

I make my own mallets.

vater piccolo, made out of sugar maple. kinda large yet very light. (also break fairly quickly so i use them mostly for my v-drums)

Regal Tip 'Jazz' NT nylons or the same stick with the E Series tip. Great cymbal sound. Love the the way Regal Tip's varnish feels too.

OZjazzer said:
Regal Tip 'Jazz' NT nylons or the same stick with the E Series tip. Great cymbal sound. Love the the way Regal Tip's varnish feels too.

Are the 'E' type all they're cracked up to be? I'm interested because I like the sound of wood tips, but dislike the excessive chipping that seems to occur. Thoughts? Opinions? Do they really do what they claim and have the sound of a wood tip with the feel and durability of nylon?

I used to play vic firth 5A's but then I stopped for a while and then when I picked it up again the only non broken pair that I had left was a pair of VF 2B's and I gotten used to them so been using them ever since.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Are the 'E' type all they're cracked up to be? I'm interested because I like the sound of wood tips, but dislike the excessive chipping that seems to occur. Thoughts? Opinions? Do they really do what they claim and have the sound of a wood tip with the feel and durability of nylon?

I think they are more a like a cross between wood and nylon, but definitely more like wood. It's easy to fool many drummers into thinking they are hearing 'wood'.
I actually like nylon Regal Tip NT's, which indicates 'narrrow shoulders'. This makes a HUGE difference to to cymbal sound and enables me to use nylon heads most of the time. The more 'woody' E Series just give me a different colour which is handy in some situations. The thing I hate about wood tips is that the sound is changing from the minute you start using them on cymbals, they start wearing and chipping, and there goes the consistent sound. You'll notice that the E Series feel nice and bouncy on the cymbals too. Give them a go, but see if you can get a model that suits you with the narrow shoulders.

Im new here, and my favorite sticks would have to be Pro-Mark 720 Intruders, or Pro-Mark 420's, (Mike Portnoy) and of course Pro-Mark Rock Knockers, cuz there basicly a full tree haha

Back