My DW Design piano black kit

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I've gone ahead and installed a Gibraltar double tom mount onto my 22x18 bass drum and I must say, I'm expecting my load-in/set-up time to be pushed ahead by 15 minutes or so. It's very cool that (like when I played a 4-piece kit) with the double tom mount, I can now lower my cymbals to a comfortable level as well - this was unexpected.

What do y'all think?

Attachments

• kit-frnt.jpg
    kit-frnt.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Kit-from-back.jpg
    Kit-from-back.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DW-tilted-from-frnt.jpg
    DW-tilted-from-frnt.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 77
So I've gone ahead and installed a Gibraltar double tom mount onto my 22x18 bass drum and I must say, I'm expecting my load-in/set-up time to be pushed ahead by 15 minutes or so. It's very cool that (like when I played a 4-piece kit) with the double tom mount, I can now lower my cymbals to a comfortable level as well - this was unexpected.

What do y'all think?
Looks tidy! (y):D

Nice move !
A tom mount is definitely more handy. Rather small mount, which is nice..
You did the drilling ?
Nothing to do with the mount but I notice that contrary to the other Design finishes, your gloss black version has fully painted bass drum hoops, which is a nice feature (partly painted hoops look cheapo).

Last edited:
Good call. I am with you-- bass drum tom mount all the way, though I'm fine without it at home. And also, I think using the Gibraltar over the DW is a great idea. The DW mount works well but it's SO heavy. I wish they'd come up with a better version. I've had the Gibraltar version on a couple kits and found it to be excellent.

Lovely.
I'm a big fan of bass drum mounting tom toms because of the set up advantages in terms of time taken and consistency of positioning. Not only does the Gibraltar mount look exactly at home but I'm guessing you've been able to place the toms exactly where you want them, the fact that a tom mount is fixed where you get it is the only criticism I've heard of them that could be a negative consideration.

Looks great. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. I actually like the way a tom mount looks on a bass drum.

On a side note, would you have added a mount to a Collectors series Exotic or is that sacrilege? lol

What do y'all think?
Looks proper. I despise how you can’t get toms mounted on bass drums standard anymore on a lot of the mid to high range sets. Curious why you didn’t go with the DW version that slides back and forth

It looks good! I much prefer mounting the rack tom(s) on the bass drum. I have tried all of the alternative mounting methods and found them wanting. Sometimes the old way of doing things is best. Peace and goodwill.

I used to not like rack mounted toms on the kick. Until I bought a used DW FF kit with kick mounted rack. Love the ease now of quickly setting up rack to exact same position every gig. The DW rack I have is very light too. It's not a double, though. For our jazz sound 1 up/1 down is more than enough. In fact today I may leave floor tom at home.

Very nice, well done!

Looks great. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. I actually like the way a tom mount looks on a bass drum.

On a side note, would you have added a mount to a Collectors series Exotic or is that sacrilege? lol
My very first Collectors kit I bought in 1999 was a now-rare zebra FinishPly. I installed a Yamaha mount on that one with a Gibraltar arm. Nothing is a sacred of it gets the job done 😉

Nice move !
A tom mount is definitely more handy. Rather small mount, which is nice..
You did the drilling ?
Nothing to do with the mount but I notice that contrary to the other Design finishes, your gloss black version has fully painted bass drum hoops, which is a nice feature (partly painted hoops look cheapo).
I do my own drilling, it’s not that hard. This Design Kit was a 2020 limited edition - and is now discontinued. When the came out, the 10/12/16/22 shell pack was $1700 I think. I got that shell pack and added the 14” floor for $1300. I was really looking for a black kit that could be left in the sun 😉

Looks proper. I despise how you can’t get toms mounted on bass drums standard anymore on a lot of the mid to high range sets. Curious why you didn’t go with the DW version that slides back and forth
Have you see those DW double tom mounts? They weigh a TON! And then there was the issue that I wouldn’t be able to mount the toms low enough for me, and ive seen guys just raise them up and literally run it upside down to hang the toms - which looks weird. DW needs to re-design it - or maybe that’s how they keep people from using them since they advocate virgin bass drums anyway. But since DW owns Gibraltar, it’s not like I’m using another companys stuff, right?

Reactions: TJK
Are you creating an outdoor drum sanctuary for vagrant drummers?

If so, I'm in.
Black drums just fit in with any stage decor, but a few times I’ve played outdoors and when you show up early for sound check, now it means the drums are sitting on an outdoor stage in the sun until showtime. So I was debating between some Yamaha Stage Customs or these. I much prefer maple instead of birch.

Black drums just fit in with any stage decor, but a few times I’ve played outdoors and when you show up early for sound check, now it means the drums are sitting on an outdoor stage in the sun until showtime. So I was debating between some Yamaha Stage Customs or these. I much prefer maple instead of birch.

The highlighted portion is important. I know lacquers and wraps have come a long way, but repeated exposure is going to take its toll. I initially used a black cover, but that only exacerbates the heat situation. So now I use a silver/reversible cover like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-covers-63061-drum-cover-80-inch-by-108-inch

Also, @Bo Eder -how did you decide where to position the actual mount on your kick when you drilled it? Did you use the location of another set you have as the template?

The highlighted portion is important. I know lacquers and wraps have come a long way, but repeated exposure is going to take its toll. I initially used a black cover, but that only exacerbates the heat situation. So now I use a silver/reversible cover like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-covers-63061-drum-cover-80-inch-by-108-inch

Also, @Bo Eder -how did you decide where to position the actual mount on your kick when you drilled it? Did you use the location of another set you have as the template?
I’ll look into getting a cover - like one of those emergency blankets that looks like foil.

but regarding the placement, I kinda eye-balled it while the toms hung from stands. Then broke out the straight-edges to get the holes marked.

Back