My drum key

Sonorfan

I noted several posts today regarding drum keys and their pros and cons. I too have had some that are sloppily by g for the lug, one that was so tight it almost had to be hammered on. But the only me in the picture I bought well over 30 years ago and it’s quality is most apparent in the metal used , heavy chrome steel and the swivel. It makes head removal a Dream as with the swivel it operates twice as fast as a standard key.
There is no brand name and living as I did across Canada I have no idea where I bought it. My hope is I never lose it.

Attachments

• BBED24A6-01A6-42EF-B592-BB97F4F762E6.jpeg
    BBED24A6-01A6-42EF-B592-BB97F4F762E6.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 16
I have one of those old cranks. It is helpful. Here's the next generation.

I noted several posts today regarding drum keys and their pros and cons. I too have had some that are sloppily by g for the lug, one that was so tight it almost had to be hammered on. But the only me in the picture I bought well over 30 years ago and it’s quality is most apparent in the metal used , heavy chrome steel and the swivel. It makes head removal a Dream as with the swivel it operates twice as fast as a standard key.
There is no brand name and living as I did across Canada I have no idea where I bought it. My hope is I never lose it.

I found these cheap on eBay a couple years ago when I got back into drumming. I use the 2 key method. This works GREAT for me when tuning.
I try others now and again, always go back to this design. (y)

Had a ratchet style key similar to this one back in the day for really cranking the marching snare batter heads...it had a red handle but I don’t recall the brand.
Now like @Old Dog new Cans I use two keys simultaneously across from each other, as any drummer should be ambidextrous when handling a key as well as sticks. I used to be all(y), but after some practice it’s ? fairly easy. And it’s twice as fast.

Attachments

• 4E10D7A6-9BAD-4C7B-80D5-324704F97633.jpeg
    4E10D7A6-9BAD-4C7B-80D5-324704F97633.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 4
To assert dominance over my fellow bandmates i just use my bare hands instead of a drumkey when tuning the drums etc.
Obviously this is a joke

Over the years I've gather a lot of drumkeys over different makes, but i have one in my stickbag from Pearl that I've been using for the last 9 years or so.

I use an Evans torque key a lot, but the key I've had the longest is a Yamaha key I've had since before I even had drums.

I have a T-handle key I use for head removal. I have one that fits into my cordless drill as well if I'm doing the whole kit at once.
Most times I just take my time & enjoy the process.

I find drum keys are like socks. I have a bunch, then I can't find but two or three, then I find I have a dozen-then it cycles again. I've got two now I'm using but I know I've got a bunch more stuck in one of my old drum bags or a drum box of stuff. You collect a bunch of crap it all gets lost in.

I have a pair of Pearl drum keys for head changes and major tuning. They're quick and easy to move around from lug to lug.

I also have a Evans standard key and Evans torque key. They're nice and well made, but the magnetic head means I use them more to help keep sticks or headphones in place on my floor tom, and the occasional minor tuning tweak.

I find drum keys are like socks. I have a bunch, then I can't find but two or three, then I find I have a dozen-then it cycles again. I've got two now I'm using but I know I've got a bunch more stuck in one of my old drum bags or a drum box of stuff. You collect a bunch of crap it all gets lost in.

same here...I probably have 30 of these laying around the bandroom; my truck; my house...and none of them are where I need them to be when it comes down to it

key.jpeg

Stupid as it sounds I do have favorite keys. I'm a psychological mess. Why can't I be like normal people and just use what's available but NO.
I have to make sure my favorite key is in my stick bag which makes me feel better. I think my favorite key tunes better. I'm not serious but yet I am. I could get drunk and talk keys for an hour.

Had a ratchet style key similar to this one back in the day for really cranking the marching snare batter heads...it had a red handle but I don’t recall the brand.
Now like @Old Dog new Cans I use two keys simultaneously across from each other, as any drummer should be ambidextrous when handling a key as well as sticks. I used to be all(y), but after some practice it’s ? fairly easy. And it’s twice as fast.
Hey I have one of those with my mini socket set but all the sockets are hex. Where did you find a traditional square drum lug socket ?

This one?

Attachments

• 143654004_135253255099436_6606374158844556650_n.jpg
    143654004_135253255099436_6606374158844556650_n.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 4
Stupid as it sounds I do have favorite keys. I'm a psychological mess. Why can't I be like normal people and just use what's available but NO.
I have to make sure my favorite key is in my stick bag which makes me feel better. I think my favorite key tunes better. I'm not serious but yet I am. I could get drunk and talk keys for an hour.

Not stupid at all. Some people have a security blanket, some have a security key.

Seriously though, some keys do tune better than others which tend to be more off key.

Prior to getting a pair of Pearl keys I swore by the Tama drum key. I think much like drumsticks different keys have enough of a different feel we're all bound to choose favorites, especially since I think we all have our own style when it comes to using one.

Back