My dog has allergies

Good Karma

He's has skin, grain and seasonal allergies. Anyone have a dog with symptoms like this.
If so, how are you addressing these issues.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have 5 dogs. Two have skin allergies to fleas. I Frontline the 💩 outta them. It helps with the scratching and chewing for the most part. One dog has bald spots from chewing, the other not so much. One is more allergic I guess. Normal bathing with oatmeal shampoo and Frontline are the best I can do for them. I live in the woods so fleas and ticks are rampant. When I lived in the city I would treat the lawn too. It's pointless here.

What kind of dog do you have? I do love me some doggies.

Old Dog new Cans

Yucca should be given daily for allergies. Yucca Intensive, a concentrated liquid medication is a powerful product that is safe for cats and dogs with allergies. It can also be given in your pet's food or applied directly to areas of itching skin. Shampoos and conditioners ease allergy symptoms.

I know nothing about that product, but I did do a quick search. I've seen some change diet in order to battle allergies. My vet said giving an antihistamine allergy pill is ok--DEPENDING ON size. I would certainly ask your vet about that. -1800petmeds

Did a second search on Google

Antihistamines like Benadryl only benefit a small percentage of dogs with allergies. Fatty-acid supplements and sprays that contain oatmeal or aloe can help relieve skin irritation.May 18, 2015--the Dodo

We need a "Post your Pet" in Off topic if there isn't one.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My vet said giving an antihistamine allergy pill is ok--DEPENDING ON size. I would certainly ask your vet about that. -1800petmeds
My dog with the bad flea allergy gets Benadryl when necessary. Baby aspirin also. She weighs 20lb. We give her a quarter tab of Benadryl. I don't remember for the baby aspirin. My wife used to be a vet tech, she knows all that stuff.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh yeah, if by grain allergy you mean food allergy, you can make his food. We used to do this until it became cost ineffective. Rice, meat, and vegetables is great for dogs. You can add eggs and crushed up shells if you want also. They will become more active, have shinier coats, and just seem happier in general. If I only had three, this would still be cost effective and I would totally still do it.

Good Karma

Thanks for all the help. He has severe allergic disorder and the vet thinks its related to food. He's on ultamino right now and he's on an elimination diet. It seems to have helped but over six weeks now have passed and he has brown sores near his tail and legs. He's been biting his feet too. The vet thinks he has a combination of skin allergy and environmental allergies. It's very frustrating.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My dog Patches would get seasonal allergies as our cat Sesame and my old one eyed cat Rocky. I use to take them for corticosteroid shot but found applying corticosteroid cream worked well too.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
We have two retired service dogs, both of them are Golden Retrievers. These are the first two dogs we have ever owned that have had allergies.
The female Golden has grain allergies so we avoid all foods with grain and have fed both dogs Orijen dog food for years with great success.

Our male Golden has had a history of hotspots where he begins licking a particular spot, typically on his right front leg. I have always attributed this to separation anxiety when I am absent for long periods due to work. Almost every episode has started shortly after I leave to be on film location for one to five weeks. Our vet has successfully treated him with a round of low dosage steroids and antibiotics and he's usually good to go for another three to eight months without reoccurrence. Our vet states hotspots are typically an allergic reaction to some agent in the dog's environment, but he realizes how attached our male dog is to me and concedes his hotspots are behaviorally triggered when I am gone.

Good Karma

I have 5 dogs. Two have skin allergies to fleas. I Frontline the 💩 outta them. It helps with the scratching and chewing for the most part. One dog has bald spots from chewing, the other not so much. One is more allergic I guess. Normal bathing with oatmeal shampoo and Frontline are the best I can do for them. I live in the woods so fleas and ticks are rampant. When I lived in the city I would treat the lawn too. It's pointless here.

What kind of dog do you have? I do love me some doggies.
Golden doodle

Good Karma

We have two retired service dogs, both of them are Golden Retrievers. These are the first two dogs we have ever owned that have had allergies.
The female Golden has grain allergies so we avoid all foods with grain and have fed both dogs Orijen dog food for years with great success.

Our male Golden has had a history of hotspots where he begins licking a particular spot, typically on his right front leg. I have always attributed this to separation anxiety when I am absent for long periods due to work. Almost every episode has started shortly after I leave to be on film location for one to five weeks. Our vet has successfully treated him with a round of low dosage steroids and antibiotics and he's usually good to go for another three to eight months without reoccurrence. Our vet states hotspots are typically an allergic reaction to some agent in the dog's environment, but he realizes how attached our male dog is to me and concedes his hotspots are behaviorally triggered when I am gone.
I never thought about it being behaviorally triggered, that's very possible. He's a golden doodle so has some retriever in him. He's very attached to me as well. Hmmm maybe on to something here. Thanks

Benthedrummer

Had a Burnese Mountain dog x with an Aussie Blue Heeler.

She was big, lean, solid and powerful.....her bark was thunderous.

She had a small bald patch on her upper leg which irritated her in summer. Applied steroid cream which helped.

She was my princess.

She got run over and was killed.

Bonnie.....thank you for protecting me. I miss you sweetheart x x

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Thanks for all the help. He has severe allergic disorder and the vet thinks its related to food. He's on ultamino right now and he's on an elimination diet. It seems to have helped but over six weeks now have passed and he has brown sores near his tail and legs. He's been biting his feet too. The vet thinks he has a combination of skin allergy and environmental allergies. It's very frustrating.
If it's food allergy just keep trying different grain free foods (and grain free treats) until you can eliminate that source.
If it's an allergy pollen in your yard or extended environment check first for ear infections and stay on top of treating the ear infections. They can lead to biting and licking other areas. Keeping your dogs nails trimmed and filed can help with scratching. Also as weird as it sounds use a hand wipe with aloe to wipe all of your dog's paws after it comes back indoors to remove the allergens.

Good Karma

If it's food allergy just keep trying different grain free foods (and grain free treats) until you can eliminate that source.
If it's an allergy pollen in your yard or extended environment check first for ear infections and stay on top of treating the ear infections. They can lead to biting and licking other areas. Keeping your dogs nails trimmed and filed can help with scratching. Also as weird as it sounds use a hand wipe with aloe to wipe all of your dog's paws after it comes back indoors to remove the allergens.
Ok great thanks for the suggestions!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I wonder about the food allergy thing. My Dad kept a kennel of hunting dogs, racing dogs, an show dogs-so I scooped a lot of poop, dipped them for fleas, and we'd give them shots to. I hated that crap, because my two older brothers closer in age so could split but myself I was stuck with all the crap by myself. Never heard of a food allergy then and good grief I've seen dogs eat and drink crap that would make a billygoat puke with no harm (even eat another dog). I enjoyed taking care of animal facilities while in grad school-mice and hamster are sweet, rabbits mostly but some mature bucks will eat you alive. I was terrified of one-my professor would glove up and handle the beast. I'd always think of Monty Python-I don't believe they were joking LOL.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I wonder about the food allergy thing. My Dad kept a kennel of hunting dogs, racing dogs, an show dogs-so I scooped a lot of poop, dipped them for fleas, and we'd give them shots to. I hated that crap, because my two older brothers closer in age so could split but myself I was stuck with all the crap by myself. Never heard of a food allergy then and good grief I've seen dogs eat and drink crap that would make a billygoat puke with no harm (even eat another dog). I enjoyed taking care of animal facilities while in grad school-mice and hamster are sweet, rabbits mostly but some mature bucks will eat you alive. I was terrified of one-my professor would glove up and handle the beast. I'd always think of Monty Python-I don't believe they were joking LOL.
I used to feel the same way about canine food allergies. I've had dogs my entire life with zero issues, so I thought it was all a bunch of hooey. But when we began fostering our two service dogs years ago I changed my mind. Just a small amount of food with grain triggers her symptoms. Once we got our female Golden on a proper diet her symptoms disappeared.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I used to feel the same way about canine food allergies. I've had dogs my entire life with zero issues, so I thought it was all a bunch of hooey. But when we began fostering our two service dogs years ago I changed my mind. Just a small amount of food with grain triggers her symptoms. Once we got our female Golden on a proper diet her symptoms disappeared.
Oh I’m just hesitant cause I’d had never heard of it but science is about discovery. Allergy expression has changed in humans to and we have coevolved together as we domesticated them. Dogs share many human diseases and because of their genetics is one of the best animal models for human disease, use to use in cardiovascular research to but due to societal norms dropped it.

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Oh I’m just hesitant cause I’d had never heard of it but science is about discovery. Allergy expression has changed in humans to and we have coevolved together as we domesticated them. Dogs share many human diseases and because of their genetics is one of the best animal models for human disease, use to use in cardiovascular research to but do to societal norms dropped it.
This and there's a lot of people who don't know jack about selective breeding, so they compound poor canine lineages and health issues.
Some dogs ought not ever be bred due to hereditary conditions.

When I was growing up I never personally knew anyone who had a peanut based allergy. Now its common place.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
This and there's a lot of people who don't know jack about selective breeding, so they compound poor canine lineages and health issues.
Some dogs ought not ever be bred due to hereditary conditions.

When I was growing up I never personally knew anyone who had a peanut based allergy. Now its common place.
Man's that's spot on. When I was young I was shocked how a breeder would extinguish (for a better word) any dog even suspected of a genetic frailty. I thought it was cruel but it is "selective breeding". I think with more sympathy the dogs have been adopted so live on to pass their genetics which can inadvertently pollute a germ line. Behind our kennel was a doggy graveyard-I'd probably be in prison since I was often the hit man. I didn't like it-obeying orders and I did adopt two of them. Oh lord now I'll be known as the dog killer (I love dogs-all my whole family have indoor family dogs). Hey I cried a few times I didn't like it-it was that or my Dad shoot me LOL.

Last edited: