My debut single - played with my Starclassics Walnut

BerlinStold

Hi there,

I've been absent from the forum for quite a bit. But nonetheless a few of you might remember, that I own a very rare Tama Starclassic Walnut (yes, that's a made in Japan 100% Walnut). This year I finally worked some hours extra to bring my first ever single to Spotify (& all the other streaming services). Of course I used my Starclassics for the drum parts and I'm very interested to hear what you think about the Starclassics sound in this song.

In terms of production the drum recording is a loop I borrowed from a different song that I recorded with my band. But it serves the song well I think.

The song is a pop/alternative (I would say *lol*) mashup with a little bit of 80s vibe. It's about all our childhood heroes getting older & retiring from their treacherous work.

You can choose your favorite streaming service here: https://berlinstold.de/single

Let me know what you think not only of the drum sound, but the composition, performance & production, too! :)

#### CREDITS ####

words and music by Thiemo Peiler

PERSONELL:
lead & backing synths, FX synths, piano, main & backing vocals, drums & percussion by Thiemo Peiler
additional backing vocals by Fabian Krause
guitar by Jan Koerver
bass by Leon Kunze
saxophone by Niklas Arends

PRODUCTION:
recorded, produced and engineered by Thiemo Peiler at BerlinStold Productions
drum loops recorded by Alexander Schnatow, engineered by Ben Scholz
mixed & mastered by Thiemo Peiler at BerlinStold Productions

© BerlinStold, distributed by Spinnup
℗ BerlinStold, distributed by Spinnup

BerlinStold

I hope this didn't come across as an advertisement. Because I could really use some honest opinions about how the drums sound, about production, performance & composition. It's my first ever finished project & I know it's not perfect, but I'd really like to keep improving myself. That's why I come to you guys.
So maybe someone likes to give it a listen and tell me what they think. I'd really appreciate that! :)

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Well, i only listened on a laptop and the 1 minute that i was allowed to hear sounded pretty ok..

The only criticism that i would have at the moment, is that in my opinion the artwork is not really representing the song, but that can also be just a matter of taste..

For the rest i see not much wrong with this..:)

BerlinStold

Well, i only listened on a laptop and the 1 minute that i was allowed to hear sounded pretty ok..

The only criticism that i would have at the moment, is that in my opinion the artwork is not really representing the song, but that can also be just a matter of taste..

For the rest i see not much wrong with this..:)
Oh. I didn't realize I didn't give an option to hear the song for people with no streaming service whatsoever. If you'd like to hear the whole song you might wanna try http://berlinstold.bandcamp.com

Either way. Thank you for the feedback. I have to confess, that the artwork was a last minute thing I did myself for the sake of having one. There wasn't that much thought and preperation going into that, so maybe that's why you feel it doesn't quite fit. Defintely learnt from that experience, though. :D

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Well, i heard the complete song now and i have to say thats a pretty nice project that you finished there..

Nice intro (i always like intros where i have to listen a second time to hear where the '1' is), pleasantly sounding vocals (drums too) and all together a nice catchy tune, but still interesting enough to listen a few times more..

Really not much criticism to give..

And that transation/break into the chorus at like 3.18 is pretty cool too btw..

Really very nice, my compliments..!:)