My dad’s 64 Slingerland kit

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
This is a fabulous 1964 Slingerland kit that belongs to my stepdad (who is actually a great person my ‘other’ dad and taught me how to play) who’s used this kit for over 50 years of gigging with various bands (But now retired) Including my mom as lead singer. She had the red satin flame finish changed to black about 10 years ago (don’t hate her, it was rough). Original 60’s Zildjians with rivets added circa mid 70’s. Check out the flat cymbal stands. I learned on this kit around 1977 and still jam on it when I visit. 61BC1305-6D19-4095-ADEB-AB99FD895777.jpeg
Ps don’t try to swipe to unlock, it’ll lock your phone for 10 minutes.

Beautiful !!
I love my 63' Slingerlands. I got them new when I was 13 years old.

Nice. Were they always concert toms, or were they "converted" in the quest for more cut (that 70's thing)?

Nice. Were they always concert toms, or were they "converted" in the quest for more cut (that 70's thing)?
I have never seen them with bottom heads. He has told me that he took off the bottom heads because he could never get them tuned right with them.

Did you ever eat something that tastes so good you drop your fork, tilt your head back, and just start blindly drooling ala Homer Simpson?

That's what I do when I see vintage concert tom kits.

Super cool kit, thanks for sharing the pics and the nostalgia it carries for you!

This is a fabulous 1964 Slingerland kit that belongs to my stepdad (who is actually a great person my ‘other’ dad and taught me how to play) who’s used this kit for over 50 years of gigging with various bands (But now retired) Including my mom as lead singer. She had the red satin flame finish changed to black about 10 years ago (don’t hate her, it was rough). Original 60’s Zildjians with rivets added circa mid 70’s. Check out the flat cymbal stands. I learned on this kit around 1977 and still jam on it when I visit. View attachment 97377
Ps don’t try to swipe to unlock, it’ll lock your phone for 10 minutes.

Those stands are cool! I'd never seen those before!! (Don't show them to A&F haha)

Awesome kit - thanks for sharing!!

Did you ever eat something that tastes so good you drop your fork, tilt your head back, and just start blindly drooling ala Homer Simpson?

That's what I do when I see vintage concert tom kits.

Super cool kit, thanks for sharing the pics and the nostalgia it carries for you!
Thanks! It is really cool although I was disappointed when I learned they had been re-wrapped ? but I'm over that because they didn't lose the vintage look or sound. Since they don't play in a band anymore, he had them in their cases for a number of years until a few years ago I got him a bluetooth adapter for his stereo so he could play along with more than his ancient vinyl and cd collection. It opened up a whole new world for him and now he plays almost every day sometimes for 3+ hours. 79 years old and still got the groove! He's told me many times that they'll be mine when he's gone; i'm obviously not looking forward to his passing but if I somehow outlast him I will treasure the Slingers as long as I live.

Those stands are cool! I'd never seen those before!! (Don't show them to A&F haha)

Awesome kit - thanks for sharing!!
Thanks! Pretty amazing that those stands have lasted nearly 60 years with no replacement parts. His 20" Zildjian has a pretty long crack in it that I did back in the 80's when he let me pound away on them ?, but he never complained then or since, and told me not too long ago that it's a good thing because it reminds him of me whenever he sees it ?

Those are '60s Premier stands. I used those with my Slingies for many years until they just wore out.
That’s great to know thanks!

........ and now he plays almost every day sometimes for 3+ hours. 79 years old and still got the groove! He's told me many times that they'll be mine when he's gone; i'm obviously not looking forward to his passing but if I somehow outlast him I will treasure the Slingers as long as I live.
That's really cool !!!

dude...so awesome!!! I grew up on my dads 1955 Ludwigs, and still use them for my jazz and country band! so much mojo and coolness there

plus the connection you made with him, and getting back into playing now is awesome!!

Thanks! It is really cool although I was disappointed when I learned they had been re-wrapped ? but I'm over that because they didn't lose the vintage look or sound. Since they don't play in a band anymore, he had them in their cases for a number of years until a few years ago I got him a bluetooth adapter for his stereo so he could play along with more than his ancient vinyl and cd collection. It opened up a whole new world for him and now he plays almost every day sometimes for 3+ hours. 79 years old and still got the groove! He's told me many times that they'll be mine when he's gone; i'm obviously not looking forward to his passing but if I somehow outlast him I will treasure the Slingers as long a I live.

Thanks! Pretty amazing that those stands have lasted nearly 60 years with no replacement parts. His 20" Zildjian has a pretty long crack in it that I did back in the 80's when he let me pound away on them ?, but he never complained then or since, and told me not too long ago that it's a good thing because it reminds him of me whenever he sees it

Very nice stories and sounds like a nice family SomeBadDrummer. ;)

Back