My Current Setup

C.M. Jones

Is this the same 4 piece configuration you switched to?
Ha! No way. Pearl introduced the Session Studio Select (formerly the Session Studio Classic) in 2018. I got mine earlier this year. I had a Session series in the '90s, and it was a great kit. In the recent update, though, Pearl included a lot of Masters-grade features in the Session Studio Select, one reason I chose it over a Masters category. I've also owned a few Masters kits over the years, as well as BLXs and Exports. I'd have to say my current set is my favorite, mostly because I find something very special about the birch/African mahogany shells and the manner in which Pearl crafted them this time around. They're only 5.4mm, and their tone isn't quite like that of anything I've played previously.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Is this the same 4 piece configuration you switched to?
Clarification: If by "configuration" you mean the dimensions my kits have consisted of since I decided to go the four-piece route, the answer is mostly yes. My tom sizes have always been 12/16. Most of my basses have been 22, but a few were 20. And I've always played 14x5 or 14x5.5 snares. I had a 6.5 depth for a while but didn't like it much.

I initially interpreted your question to be, "Have you been playing the kit on display in this thread for the last twenty years?" The answer to that is no. See my previous post for elaboration on that topic.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Clarification: If by "configuration" you mean the dimensions my kits have consisted of since I decided to go the four-piece route, the answer is mostly yes. My tom sizes have always been 12/16. Most of my basses have been 22, but a few were 20. And I've always played 14x5 or 14x5.5 snares. I had a 6.5 depth for a while but didn't like it much.

I initially interpreted your question to be, "Have you been playing the kit on display in this thread for the last twenty years?" The answer to that is no. See my previous post for elaboration on that topic.
Yes this is what I meant, dimensionally. I kind of figured it would be. I get the impression you like to use what works until it doesn't work any more.

Yamaha Rider

Some of you have requested photos of my setup, so rather than dispatch private messages, I thought I'd launch a general thread. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select (Birch/African Mahogany shells). Here are the components: 14" x 5.5" snare, 22" x 16" virgin bass, 12" x 8" tom, and 16" x 16" floor tom.

The snare in the photos is in Natural Birch finish, but I also have an identical snare in Barnwood Brown. The rest of the kit is in Nicotine White Marine Pearl. I didn't buy this setup as a shell pack but rather custom-ordered it from Pearl. Each drum arrived in a separate box.

All cymbals are from Zildjian's S Family: 14" Mastersound Hi-Hats, 20" Medium Ride, and 16", 17", and 18" Thin Crashes. I purchased each cymbal separately as well. Packs never meet my demands.

All heads are Remo:

Batter: Coated Ambassador on the snare, Coated Pinstripes on the bass and toms.

Resonant: Clear Ambassador on the snare and toms, Coated Powerstroke with Pearl logo on the bass.

All hardware is Pearl, including my bass pedal.

View attachment 95088

View attachment 95089

View attachment 95090
A pearl of a pearl Pearl ♥