My Current Setup

C.M. Jones

Uni-lock is what keeps the tom settings in place I think, the opti-mount is the tom arm mount, I think - this:

Mine is different from this one though, it doesn't mount on the bottom tension rods, there's a nut fixed right under where the arm goes in into the drum and only two batter head tension rod mounts. The nut comes out and it's a finished airhole along with the already installed airhole.

I looked a little for the right mount but I didn't find it right away.
Got it. The Opti-Mount systems on the kits I've owned have mounted only on the tension rods -- no shell contact at all -- and thus have always been a breeze to remove with no evidence of having been there.

I have no experience with the "nut" you're referring to. I've never owned a kit with that setup, but it sounds as though it might look better if you just left the nut on the shell. Better than the exposed hole, at least.

C.M. Jones

It looks better without it, it's like a little penis sticking out of it but clean without it. But I wound up mounting it on the bass with the 10 inch tom to my left on a stand. I'm good with it.

I'll take a pic of it and post it when I get around to it, weird that I didn't find it on a search.

Your heads look too clean, do you play them? lol
Ha! My heads don't always look that pristine. The ones in the photos were only a few days old.

iCe

Looks like a nice and ergonomically great set to play! Find that i lean more towards these 'classic old school' wraps these days.

J-W

Beautiful kit there, CM! I love every thing about it............particularly the color (right down to the tint) and the head choices. It's got class written all over it.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Nice looking kit! I love that finish. My first kit was a Rogers in white marine pearl - had I kept it, it would probably look similar now.

BTW, how do you like those coated Pinstripes in comparison with the black ones you tried?

C.M. Jones

Nice looking kit! I love that finish. My first kit was a Rogers in white marine pearl - had I kept it, it would probably look similar now.

BTW, how do you like those coated Pinstripes in comparison with the black ones you tried?
Good to hear from you, Stroman. With regard to head comparisons, I do prefer Coated Pinstripes over Ebony or Clear Pinstripes. Ebony Pins are extremely dark and muted. They excel at low-end, which is great, but their tonal spectrum is somewhat limited. Clear Pins, on the other hand, are slightly lacking in warmth, often the case with clear heads in my opinion. Coated Pins are perfect. They give me some of the low-end of Ebony Pins, but they aren't as extreme about it, and their coating contributes to the warmth I'm after. Also, I favor the look and feel of coated heads, probably because I played nothing but Coated Ambassadors on every drum for many, many years.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Good to hear from you, Stroman. With regard to head comparisons, I do prefer Coated Pinstripes over Ebony or Clear Pinstripes. Ebony Pins are extremely dark and muted. They excel at low-end, which is great, but their tonal spectrum is somewhat limited. Clear Pins, on the other hand, are slightly lacking in warmth, often the case with clear heads in my opinion. Coated Pins are perfect. They give me some of the low-end of Ebony Pins, but they aren't as extreme about it, and their coating contributes to the warmth I'm after. Also, I favor the look and feel of coated heads, probably because I played nothing but Coated Ambassadors on every drum for many, many years.
I used to tech for a guy who used the black Pinstripes. He liked the very dark, dead sound. I didn't like it in person, but his toms did sound killer through the PA.

I've experimented quite a lot with heads, and I could get by with a clear Pinstripe if needed, but it wouldn't be a first choice. I never tried the coated Pinstripes, though. In general I prefer coated heads, so maybe they'll find their way onto the kit at some point. Thanks for the perspective.

Yamaha Rider

E
No joke, that’s how you spot English tourists. It’s an entire nation of people that’s never heard of UV rays, sunscreen or melanoma. You just go to any beach (especially Bondi which is basically only tourists) and look for people with lobster skin— guaranteed they’re English.
English? I think you'll find the only thing redder than a ginger Scotsman in the sun is two ginger Scotsmen.

Ransan

Some of you have requested photos of my setup, so rather than dispatch private messages, I thought I'd launch a general thread. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select (Birch/African mahogany shells). Here are the components: 14" x 5.5" snare, 22" x 16" virgin bass, 12" x 8" tom, and 16" x 16" floor tom.

The snare in the photos is in Natural Birch finish, but I also have an identical snare in Barnwood Brown. The rest of the kit is in Nicotine White Marine Pearl. I didn't buy this setup as a shell pack but rather custom-ordered it from Pearl. Each drum arrived in a separate box.

All cymbals are from Zildjian's S Family: 14" Mastersound Hi-Hats, 20" Medium Ride, and 16", 17", and 18" Thin Crashes. I purchased each cymbal separately as well. Packs never meet my demands.

All heads are Remo:

Batter: Coated Ambassador on the snare, Coated Pinstripes on the bass and toms.

Resonant: Clear Ambassador on the snare and toms, Coated Powerstroke with Pearl logo on bass.

All hardware is Pearl, including my bass pedal.

View attachment 95088

View attachment 95089

View attachment 95090
Bread and butter primo.
By the way, in your choice for heads, did you get the coated pins to warm the up kit a bit?

C.M. Jones

Bread and butter primo.
By the way, in your choice for heads, did you get the coated pins to warm the up kit a bit?
Hey, Ransan. I like Coated Pins on my toms and bass because they emphasize midrange and lower tones and also shorten sustain a bit. And yes, Coated Pins are warmer than their Clear and Ebony counterparts. I also just like the look and feel of coated heads. They aren't as plasticky as clear heads -- at least that's always been my perception.