My Current Setup

NouveauCliche

Ha! I play with incredible touch. See my YouTube video on head preservation. :)

Really, I just changed my batter heads again a few days ago. They'll look nice and broken in soon enough.
Youtube video: Link pls.

Also question about your tom mount - is it just a standard snare/tom stand?

I had that set up for like 7 years and I found these things called "little booty shakers" that attach to snare stand with velcro and basically suspend the tom - I was absolutely SHOCKED how big of a difference it made. I have pretty good relationship with those cats and I'm sure I can get them to send you a set - let me know. Probably the easiest little drum sound hack I've ever run across -I have them on all my snare/tom stands now - even for my actual snares.

Here's a video a friend of mine made on them (Also - he's a tuning and drum tech PRO - so I know you don't like youtube tunings guys...but there's no one better on the planet for tuning and tech stuff):

C.M. Jones

Youtube video: Link pls.

Also question about your tom mount - is it just a standard snare/tom stand?

I had that set up for like 7 years and I found these things called "little booty shakers" that attach to snare stand with velcro and basically suspend the tom - I was absolutely SHOCKED how big of a difference it made. I have pretty good relationship with those cats and I'm sure I can get them to send you a set - let me know. Probably the easiest little drum sound hack I've ever run across -I have them on all my snare/tom stands now - even for my actual snares.

Here's a video a friend of mine made on them (Also - he's a tuning and drum tech PRO - so I know you don't like youtube tunings guys...but there's no one better on the planet for tuning and tech stuff):

Yes, my tom is mounted in the same series of Pearl stand I use for my snare. Works like a dream and looks quite classic. You'll notice in the photos that my tom shell has no suspension system at all. It's a virgin tom in that regard, just like my bass drum.

I've seen Kenny's stuff before. He's based in Austin, TX, right? Very knowledgeable when it comes to sound engineering for drums. The booty shakers look like an interesting product. I'll check out their website.

I don't shoot YouTube videos. You'll have to wait until I change my mind on that topic.:)

NouveauCliche

Yes, my tom is mounted in the same series of Pearl stand I use for my snare. Works like a dream and looks quite classic. You'll notice in the photos that my tom shell has no suspension system at all. It's a virgin tom in that regard, just like my bass drum.

I've seen Kenny's stuff before. He's based in Austin, TX, right? Very knowledgeable when it comes to sound engineering for drums. The booty shakers look like an interesting product. I'll check out their website.

I don't shoot YouTube videos. You'll have to wait until I change my mind on that topic.:)
Ahhh - got me. I thought for sure my mind was about to be blown by your video haha.

For $15 - it's an amazing difference in sound and so easy to use - and they make a version with black velcro that people will never even notice.

Yessir - Kenny works out of Austin and has done tech work for some amazing touring acts and shows like the Grammys to Live 8 and all sorts of people - too many to name - and he's a heck of a great player!

Ryan Culberson

Thanks, Ryan. I've been running a one-up/one-down configuration for so many years now that I'm not sure I'd know what to do with additional drums. Towel holders, maybe?
I feel ya on the 1 up-1 down thing. Although many of my pics here have shown 2 floors, I play a rig like yours 99.837% of the time. Covid has me bored and exploring with more toms down at the practice shed. The venues I play usually have no room for more than a 4 piece.

C.M. Jones

I feel ya on the 1 up-1 down thing. Although many of my pics here have shown 2 floors, I play a rig like yours 99.837% of the time. Covid has me bored and exploring with more toms down at the practice shed. The venues I play usually have no room for more than a 4 piece.
I've never really wanted a second floor tom, but if I were to add one, I think I'd place it beside my hi-hat instead of beside my other floor tom. That arrangement would add nice symmetry to the setup. I doubt I'll ever bother with it, however. One-up/one-down does the job just fine for me.

Ryan Culberson

I've never really wanted a second floor tom, but if I were to add one, I think I'd place it beside my hi-hat instead of beside my other floor tom. That arrangement would add nice symmetry to the setup. I doubt I'll ever bother with it, however. One-up/one-down does the job just fine for me.
Papa Jo style! Me likey. LOL. Messing around with the 2 floor setup the last few months has got me thinking a bit differently. The third note adds a melodic element. I find my tom fills are getting a lot less busy, but with a little more thought process involved, which is always good.

gish

Nice, comfy looking setup. Why do I like it so much? Oh that’s right, because it’s very similar to my setup (Starclassic B/B, 12-16-22, 12” tom in a snare basket). Like you, I also wouldn’t know what to do with more than 2 toms these days. Maybe put a coated head on the third tom and write the set list on it. Enjoy that kit, it’s a beauty!

C.M. Jones

Wow, Pearl drums look SO much better to me without those ugly L arms. A 1-up configuration with the tom in a snare stand is definitely the way to go.

Nice looking kit!

View attachment 95115
If there's only one advantage to Pearl's Opti-Mount suspension system, it's that it involves no drilling or permanent attachments at all. Remove it, and you have a perfectly preserved tom ready for a snare basket. You'll never know the mount was even there.

C.M. Jones

Nice, comfy looking setup. Why do I like it so much? Oh that’s right, because it’s very similar to my setup (Starclassic B/B, 12-16-22, 12” tom in a snare basket). Like you, I also wouldn’t know what to do with more than 2 toms these days. Maybe put a coated head on the third tom and write the set list on it. Enjoy that kit, it’s a beauty!
Thanks, Gish. Always happy to hear from another one-up, one-down enthusiast.