My Current Setup

C.M. Jones

Some of you have requested photos of my setup, so rather than dispatch private messages, I thought I'd launch a general thread. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select (Birch/African Mahogany shells). Here are the components: 14" x 5.5" snare, 22" x 16" virgin bass, 12" x 8" tom, and 16" x 16" floor tom.

The snare in the photos is in Natural Birch finish, but I also have an identical snare in Barnwood Brown. The rest of the kit is in Nicotine White Marine Pearl. I didn't buy this setup as a shell pack but rather custom-ordered it from Pearl. Each drum arrived in a separate box.

All cymbals are from Zildjian's S Family: 14" Mastersound Hi-Hats, 20" Medium Ride, and 16", 17", and 18" Thin Crashes. I purchased each cymbal separately as well. Packs never meet my demands.

All heads are Remo:

Batter: Coated Ambassador on the snare, Coated Pinstripes on the bass and toms.

Resonant: Clear Ambassador on the snare and toms, Coated Powerstroke with Pearl logo on the bass.

All hardware is Pearl, including my bass pedal.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

I love that finish. I bet she really sparkles under lights! (or he, or even it— I don’t presume to know the gender of your drums)
Ha! I'll keep my kit gender neutral, I suppose. The last thing it needs is an identity crisis.

Yeah, the finish is great. It's starved of stage lights and studio mics under current limitations, but I'm keeping it well practiced for better days ahead.

Griffin

Ha! I'll keep my kit gender neutral, I suppose. The last thing it needs is an identity crisis.

Yeah, the finish is great. It's starved of stage lights and studio mics under current limitations, but I'm keeping it well practiced for better days ahead.
Yes it will be nice to live in times that don’t feel as though they were predicted in Revelation. So far in my neck of the woods this year we’ve had fire, flood and now plague. It’s enough to drive anyone mad.

D

Deleted member 525878

That is a very nice, orderly, tidy set-up. I used to use coated Pinstripes on a few snares before I became a singly-ply purist.

C.M. Jones

That is a very nice, orderly, tidy set-up. I used to use coated Pinstripes on a few snares before I became a singly-ply purist.
Double-plies don't work for me on snares. I like sensitivity and crack in that domain. For years, I used Coated Ambassadors on my toms and bass as well, but the lockdown has induced me to experiment, and I'm quite partial to double-plies on my toms and bass right now. Coated Pins are my favorites thus far.

C.M. Jones

Yes it will be nice to live in times that don’t feel as though they were predicted in Revelation. So far in my neck of the woods this year we’ve had fire, flood and now plague. It’s enough to drive anyone mad.
It could be worse. At least the sun hasn't exploded yet.

Aussies can handle anything. Your coasts are infested with sharks, and your inland swarms with the most venomous species on the planet. Nothing phases you. You guys will be around long after the rest of us have expired.

Griffin

It could be worse. At least the sun hasn't exploded yet.

Aussies can handle anything. Your coasts are infested with sharks, and your inland swarms with the most venomous species on the planet. Nothing phases you. You guys will be around long after the rest of us have expired.
This is true. And I am enjoying a reprieve from waves of tourists. It’s nice to grab my morning coffee with fewer people posing for photos. That’s why we train the wildlife to only eat tourists.

D

Deleted member 525878

Wow! I always check out the NASA Ozone Watch website and there's another big hole starting to form already!

Al Strange

No joke, that’s how you spot English tourists. It’s an entire nation of people that’s never heard of UV rays, sunscreen or melanoma. You just go to any beach (especially Bondi which is basically only tourists) and look for people with lobster skin— guaranteed they’re English.
Mad dog’s an Englishman, goes out in the midday sun...I’m more of a vampire myself, stay out of it if I can! Brits are generally mental though, especially when abroad...just add alcohol...🙈🦞😑

NouveauCliche

Some of you have requested photos of my setup, so rather than dispatch private messages, I thought I'd launch a general thread. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select (Birch/African mahogany shells). Here are the components: 14" x 5.5" snare, 22" x 16" virgin bass, 12" x 8" tom, and 16" x 16" floor tom.

The snare in the photos is in Natural Birch finish, but I also have an identical snare in Barnwood Brown. The rest of the kit is in Nicotine White Marine Pearl. I didn't buy this setup as a shell pack but rather custom-ordered it from Pearl. Each drum arrived in a separate box.

All cymbals are from Zildjian's S Family: 14" Mastersound Hi-Hats, 20" Medium Ride, and 16", 17", and 18" Thin Crashes. I purchased each cymbal separately as well. Packs never meet my demands.

All heads are Remo:

Batter: Coated Ambassador on the snare, Coated Pinstripes on the bass and toms.

Resonant: Clear Ambassador on the snare and toms, Coated Powerstroke with Pearl logo on bass.

All hardware is Pearl, including my bass pedal.

View attachment 95088

View attachment 95089

View attachment 95090
Very - very nice! Clean - classic: would play/10.

Those are some clean heads there CM - fresh or you only play mallets? haha