My Christmas present!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Et en plus c'est en Français :) J'ai beaucoup aimé, mais je dois ré-écouter encore car j'ai trouvé des placements particulièrement audacieux (dans le sens 'intéressant'). Je reviendrai !
And it’s in French :) I liked it a lot, but I will re-listen again because I’ve found some placements particularly daring (meaning ‘interesting’), I will come back!

Merci beaucoup Calim, j’apprecie vraiement ton commentaire sur nos arrangements, et je trouve sympa que tu aies envie de re-écouter ces chansons ;-))

Thank you very much Calim, I really appreciate your comment regardind the arrangements, and I’m thrilled that you will re-listen to these songs ;-))

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
And it’s in French :) I liked it a lot, but I will re-listen again because I’ve found some placements particularly daring (meaning ‘interesting’), I will come back!

Merci beaucoup Calim, j’apprecie vraiement ton commentaire sur nos arrangements, et je trouve sympa que tu aies envie de re-écouter ces chansons ;-))

Thank you very much Calim, I really appreciate your comment regardind the arrangements, and I’m thrilled that you will re-listen to these songs ;-))
Thanks for the translation of Calim's post Henri. Being an old fart English guy, I'm ashamed of my lack of language ability (born of lack of educational opportunity). Andy (votre ami).

resohead

Silver Member
Love that dunning and the band too. Wish I could speak French. Your playing is quite a pleasure ti listen to. Very tasty.

calim

Thanks for the translation of Calim's post Henri. Being an old fart English guy, I'm ashamed of my lack of language ability (born of lack of educational opportunity). Andy (votre ami).

Sorry for not having translated it myself - I wanted to show a little more personal :D
But anyway, I said I'll return and I'm here - speaking english this time.
The first thing I like is the snare tuning/sound especially in "solitude", and more generally how it sounds" (except the huge amount of reverb :D)
theses songs makes me think about Michel Jonasz and Jacques Higelin. While I'm not a huge fan of Jonasz's voice/singing (I don't like when it tends to "mannered" singing), I get very comfortable with the singer in this records.

Seems "Ocean Bleu" was not the easy one to play on - unlike the presumed "easy" feel.
What I found magical about this one is I am not able to determine who "leads", neither if it is voluntary - in a no-pejorative meaning of course. Great "Steve Gadd" - like linear patterns around 4:15 :D

Paradoxically, you seem more comfortable on "Solitude" , despite of some difficult transitions / rate changes (I mean "changement de débit in French") which are very well executed !

PS: what are you working on these time ?

Cheers !!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Sorry for not having translated it myself - I wanted to show a little more personal :D
But anyway, I said I'll return and I'm here - speaking english this time.
And thanks for doing so, it's really appreciated, I liked the fact you responded in french, very personal indeed, and I noticed your accent in english is as bad as mine :-D

I'll try to answer your comments to the best of my memory, it's a long time since we've done these recordings :)

The first thing I like is the snare tuning/sound especially in "solitude", and more generally how it sounds" (except the huge amount of reverb :D)
Thanks, on these two songs I was using a Tama Artwood 4" Piccolo snare, a newly purchased snare back then, the tuning was on the medium to high pitch. :)

The mixing was done by the sound engineer, the singer and myself :)

theses songs makes me think about Michel Jonasz and Jacques Higelin. While I'm not a huge fan of Jonasz's voice/singing (I don't like when it tends to "mannered" singing), I get very comfortable with the singer in this records.
The singer, who wrote these 2 songs, was a huge fan of Michel Jonasz and Jacques Higelin, we've been often compared to these artists :)

Seems "Ocean Bleu" was not the easy one to play on - unlike the presumed "easy" feel.
What I found magical about this one is I am not able to determine who "leads", neither if it is voluntary - in a no-pejorative meaning of course. Great "Steve Gadd" - like linear patterns around 4:15 :D
The approach to the song was to create a relaxed ambiance with emphasis on the vocal and the horns 2 voice sections :)

Thank you very much for the association to Mr Gadd, he's one of many who had an influence on me :)

Paradoxically, you seem more comfortable on "Solitude" , despite of some difficult transitions / rate changes (I mean "changement de débit in French") which are very well executed !
That would be because of my rock background, "Compartiments Fumeur" was my first band outside a rock context, the transition was inspired from the approach that Veronique Sanson uses as arrangements within her songs :)

PS: what are you working on these time ?
At the present time, I'm not playing with any band as I'm about to move to another country, but I practice regularly on the kit, currently working on a less is more approach to drumming (read more sober than simple), and thus far, I'm happy with my progress :)

Thank you so much Calim for taking time to listen and comment upon my drumming, it's always great to have some feedback :)

What type of music do you play? Did you upload any of your drumming on the forum?

Cheers

Henri

calim

What type of music do you play? Did you upload any of your drumming on the forum?

Cheers

Henri
Thank you for asking Henri ;) btw I would feel a little like a topic hi-jacker to answer here.
I will open a new thread, you'd be welcome to listen then !

G

gf2564

Great stuff and excellent playing! Since I am from the southern US, I have no clue what he is saying, I am still working on english but I enjoyed the vocals, as well. Great sax playing on the second tune!
Gene

kauaiplayer

Great music, and awesome playing! It must have been a blast to be a part of that band. I love the snare work at the end of L'Ocean Bleu. Thank you for sharing this.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Great stuff and excellent playing! Since I am from the southern US, I have no clue what he is saying, I am still working on english but I enjoyed the vocals, as well. Great sax playing on the second tune!
Gene
Thank you Gene, sometimes I had no clue as what he was singing either :)) The sax on the intro was played by a very young 18 years old player, a student at the conservatory of music in my home town :)

Great music, and awesome playing! It must have been a blast to be a part of that band. I love the snare work at the end of L'Ocean Bleu. Thank you for sharing this.
Thank you Mr Player, it certainely was a pleasure to be part of this band, I'm glad you enjoyed the snare fills :)

Thank you for asking Henri ;) btw I would feel a little like a topic hi-jacker to answer here.
I will open a new thread, you'd be welcome to listen then !
Calim has open a thread, which display his tasteful grooves with one of his band, I urge you all to check it out in the "Your Playing" section, amazing stuff. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Pretty good sound for 1987 man. The first one, Solitude, very nice atmosphere. In the first 20 seconds of that tune, if you told me it was The Meters, I would have believed it. The song itself and the whole sound of the track just sounds like the Meters. You were like a clock man, front to back. I really like your touch and your feel. I like the way it made me feel. Very airy with a lot of space. Space feels so nice to me. It soothes me. Nice drum tones too. All in all I thought it was a good mix of thoughtful restrained adornment while relentlessly maintaining the groove, and NAILING the figures! A very mature, pro drum part. Restrained but never pedestrian, with the oh so important subtle nuances. Loved when you went to the ride cymbal, the nuances that followed, and the double time section afterwards was unexpected and fit well. What was the deal with the end, they ran out of tape? Such an abrupt ending to a smooth and relaxing.... sophisticated groove. That's the word, I was looking for, sophisticated. That's you, Mr. Sophistication.

The 2nd tune "L'Ocean Bleu" I felt was in the same family of tuneage as "Solitude", smooth and very easy going music, with a jazzy flavor, but groove oriented enough to not hit me as straight ahead jazz. Loved how you came in on that one. On these songs, your drumming is transparent. I mean that in the best of ways. Your drumming is so integral to the song, it does not stick out, it's part of the fabric, woven into it. You really get inside a song. You really are a generous player, providing what the others need and understanding the big picture.

You hit me as a sophisticated gentleman of a drummer, friendly and humble, with loads of talent, good hands too, interesting musical ideas....and the sneaking suspicion that there is much more to you than meets the eye. (and ear!)

The only real negs I could find, anywhere, there were maybe 2 places in "L'Ocean Bleu" where the flow was only 99% perfect. WTF Henri?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
The only real negs I could find, anywhere, there were maybe 2 places in "L'Ocean Bleu" where the flow was only 99% perfect. WTF Henri?
Well, Larry, during that take of the song, the gorgeous girlfriend of the sound engineer walked into the monitoring room, we had eyes contact and she smiled at me, on the other takes of this song I had eyes contact with my bass player looking at me with a huge grin on his face, didn't have the same effect though ;-)) ...nah! I'm just kidding, but for me back then it was a hard song to play to get the feel I wanted, it's a difficult song (for me at least) to get absolutely right, you have to be in the background, just providing a subtle groove , and at the same time, to have enough presence and texture to lift the song without being obtrusive, if you know what I mean, coming from a rock backround back then, it was sometimes a hit & miss thing :)

No we didn't run out of tape :)) It goes with the lyrics of the song, the lover within his "solitude" for being without her, says "when love as died I'll be dead (onstage all the lights went off when he dies and the song stops dead when he falls) lol.

Thank you very much for your comments Larry, it means a lot to me :)

If I'm Mr. Sophistication, lol, you are Mr. Wise Man, the mentor of this forum, members actually join this forum because of you and your renowned wisdom :)

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No we didn't run out of tape :)) It goes with the lyrics of the song, the lover within his "solitude" for being without her, says "when love as died I'll be dead (onstage all the lights went off when he dies and the song stops dead when he falls) lol.

OH OK I get it now. Yea great effect. Shame on me for not listening to the lyric closely enough to make that connection.

If I'm Mr. Sophistication, lol, you are Mr. Wise Man, the mentor of this forum, members actually join this forum because of you and your renowned wisdom :)

Ha! Got you snowed. I'm not really a drummer at all. I found a pic of the most handsome man I could find and used it as an avatar. As far as my wisdom? Ha! I'm just a really good liar. I make all this stuff up and you Bozo's just suck it up. I even had a few members tapping clicks to 40 beats a minute. I convinced them that it helped me! I'm still rolling over that one. Really I'm just a loser who works all day cleaning the grease from McDonald's french fry machines. I'm not even an electrician, that was a lie too! You guys are saps!

Responded in the quote

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Ha! Got you snowed. I'm not really a drummer at all. I found a pic of the most handsome man I could find and used it as an avatar. As far as my wisdom? Ha! I'm just a really good liar. I make all this stuff up and you Bozo's just suck it up. I even had a few members tapping clicks to 40 beats a minute. I convinced them that it helped me! I'm still rolling over that one. Really I'm just a loser who works all day cleaning the grease from McDonald's french fry machines. I'm not even an electrician, that was a lie too! You guys are saps!
Hahaha Larry, handsome reply, although there's an element of thruth in that statement, you're indeed a really good liar ;-))

calim

Calim has open a thread, which display his tasteful grooves with one of his band, I urge you all to check it out in the "Your Playing" section, amazing stuff. :)
Thank you again to promote the stuff ;)