My C&C Kits

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Hey all,

I am the lucky owner of two C&C drum kits. Several people on the forum have asked for info and pictures of the kits, so I finally was able to take some pictures. Here they are!

Burgundy sparkle - 22X14, 12X8, 14X14, 16X16

Navy blue sparkle - 22X14, 12X8, 16X14

Now a little bit about these kits.

The burgundy sparkle kit is 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany and was purchased in 2010. It was inspired by a vintage Ludwig kit I used to have. This kit has a very warm, fat tone, probably due to a combination of the wood and the slightly rounded bearing edges. I would describe it as a cross between a mahogany kit from the 50s/60s and a modern mahogany kit in terms of sound. The floor tom is probably the best sounding drum I currently own, and certainly the best floor tom I have ever owned. This kit was purchased for a tour I was scheduled to go on, but the band imploded a few weeks before the tour was to begin. Oh well, at least I got a great drum set!

The navy blue sparkle kit is 3 ply maple/poplar/maple and was purchased this year. I have always wanted a navy blue sparkle kit (sort of inspired by vintage Slingerlands) but could never find someone who could make a kit that sounded great and could do the finish I was looking for. I had a color swatch of what I was looking for that I saved for years. Late last year I brought it to Bill and Jake at C&C and they absolutely nailed it. This kit has a sound reminiscent of vintage drums but with a bit of a modern flavor to it.

The photos don't do these drums justice, but the navy sparkle is especially flat in the photos, it absolutely pops in sunlight and under stage lights. (It was a partly cloudy day in Portland today.)

I basically sold off a couple of drum sets and some cymbals to buy these kits. It was a very long process!) Anyway, I still love my vintage gear and my Ludwigs, but these C&C drums make me very happy.

Pics of the mahogany kit!

Attachments

• C&C 10.jpg
    C&C 10.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 1,293
  • C&C11.jpg
    C&C11.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 1,212
  • C&C12.jpg
    C&C12.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 1,223
  • C&C14.jpg
    C&C14.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 1,198
Pics of the maple kit.

Attachments

• C&C15.jpg
    C&C15.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • C&C 16.jpg
    C&C 16.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 1,245
  • C&C 17.jpg
    C&C 17.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 1,173
Incredible looking cits my friend! I imagine they sound fantastic, but why do both kits have the same sizes?

-Jonathan

That's interesting! I'd love to be able to hear both kits in person. Oh well.

Do you have a favorite out of the two?

-Jonathan

That's interesting! I'd love to be able to hear both kits in person. Oh well.

Do you have a favorite out of the two?

-Jonathan

Jonathan, that is a really tough question. I go back and forth all the time with which one I like better. I have been digging the navy blue one lately since I put some Aquarian Super 2s on the toms. It has a nice warm tone, but with a good punch to it. Having said that, you could ask me tomorrow and you'd get a different answer. :)

I will say I like the finish on the navy drums better, but that is simply because navy blue is my favorite color.

I'm just gonna be a jerk and say I like the Burgundy ones the best.

Beautiful sets!

Those are two beauty's, got any clips of them in action?

Unfortunately, I don't have any clips. I will say these drums sound like vintage drums but with more oomph. The navy kit sounds like a cross between a modern kit and a vintage kit- kind of the best of both worlds. The mahogany kit leans a little more toward the vintage side.

Back