My Bands New Single - My Jazzy Valentine

Juniper

Gold Member
My band The Amber Bugs released our latest single the last few days, one we're all very happy with and a bit of a different sound for us.

Released online on Valentine's Day, exactly 12 months to the day since the song, My Jazzy Valentine, was first conceived and recorded back in August 2018 at Tilehouse Studios, London.

This is the first of three singles from those sessions.

Avalible on all streaming/online services (iTunes, Deezer, YouTube music, Spotify..etc) but below is the Soundcloud link.

https://soundcloud.com/theamberbugs/my-jazzy-valentine

Recorded on Reel to Reel analogue/tape and the drums were recorded so well by our engineer Luke that apart from little level adjusts here and there they weren't mixed/sonically altered in post production as I was already very happy with it.

Due to some slow down sections it was recorded without a click. We used a lovely vintage Rhodes organ for the keys and even a brief appearance for Finger Cymbals and finger clicks!

I'm personally very happy as it was the first song I've recorded completely playing Traditional Grip since starting to make the switch a couple of years ago. It suited the song/drags a lot better and it turned out ok.

Drum Gear Wise

Used my 1960's LM400 Supraphonic and my first recording outing of my recently purchased Sabian HH 21" Vanguard Ride, which sounds lovely. It really suits the vibe of the song.

Also, switched my usual 13" rack and replaced it with my 12" and tuned the drums slightly higher for this one. Did think about recording this song alone on the studios vintage Gretsch Roundbadge but I'm pleased with how my kit sounds regardless, hence the lack of post mixing!

Also, I took the photo on the cover stood outside of the famous 'La Zorra y el Cuervo' Jazz club in Havana, Cuba (check that place out if you're ever over there)

Hope you enjoy.

As always feedback/criticism welcome.

I listened to the entire first song. I like the intro, good guitar, a great balance between guitar and bass. I'm glad you could hear everything the drums were doing. So often in recording the drums and bass are neglected--need a good balance of everything. . ."I cross my T's and cross my eyes", love that.

Then the organ hits, what a great sound! I like the first song, great job.

I listened to the entire first song. I like the intro, good guitar, a great balance between guitar and bass. I'm glad you could hear everything the drums were doing. So often in recording the drums and bass are neglected--need a good balance of everything. . ."I cross my T's and cross my eyes", love that.

Then the organ hits, what a great sound! I like the first song, great job.

Thanks so much for checking it out and for the kind words. Really glad you liked it, only being a three piece we're always looking for a nice balance of instruments in a mix so I'm glad that came through ok.

I agree, the organ makes the song completely when it comes in. Our bassist really nailed her organ parts!! She did a great job.

Appreciate it, thank you!

Thanks so much for checking it out and for the kind words. Really glad you liked it, only being a three piece we're always looking for a nice balance of instruments in a mix so I'm glad that came through ok.

I agree, the organ makes the song completely when it comes in. Our bassist really nailed her organ parts!! She did a great job.

Appreciate it, thank you!

Well, I was a club DJ in Indy for over 20 years. I listened to many songs, OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If I'm ever in a situation and someone asks me to play NIN Closer or M.Crue Girls girls girls, I'll lose my brains right there. My point is, I enjoy original music.

A 3-piece?! Really great. When there are fewer players, and you're still able to project a large full sound, vocals, etc. Great stuff

Well, I was a club DJ in Indy for over 20 years. I listened to many songs, OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If I'm ever in a situation and someone asks me to play NIN Closer or M.Crue Girls girls girls, I'll lose my brains right there. My point is, I enjoy original music.

A 3-piece?! Really great. When there are fewer players, and you're still able to project a large full sound, vocals, etc. Great stuff

Oh yeah, just three members in the band.

We're very lucky in that the other two band members are multi instrumentalists so we always have a wide amount of options to play with when coming up with ideas together and we all mostly have the same approach when it comes to how we want things to sound.

Thank you again, really pleased you liked it and youre happy to check out new music.

Nice one..!

And i agree that the set also sounds very nice..

But btw, i am still curious to hear that Madonna cover..

Is that one from the two that will follow..?

Thank you very much for checking it out!

Material Girl cover should indeed be the next release out of the three. The video's being worked on currently and if everything goes to plan it should all be out in a couple months.

Will be sure to post links on here at the time.

Back