My band's latest demo ... finally

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Lol Duncan, he is my role model.....and I am German....
I was hoping it would be a link for the worlds most handsome man or something, oh well....

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Well, if you're German then there is no shame in embracing this guy as your next role model (auf dem rechts or something pig-German):

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
BigSteve said:
This new recording sounds great! I like the changes you made, nice dynamics..and some authoritative fills in there! Nicely done.
Thanks Steve - pity we couldn't do it as well in the demo! Always the way ...

Sorry Pol, I just go back...I was on vacation...and then my dog ate my computer...plus I just got over being sick where I couldn't hear anything for like a week. Add to that the fact that I couldn't type because ... [bullshit bullshit yadda yadda]
Larry, Duncan has you pegged, lad - we all know you're a mad scientist at heart :)

But yeah, I know what you mean. We all listen differently depending on our moods. Music (and drumming) always sounds best to me when I listen to the song as a whole like a non-musician rather than when I hone in on the drum track. Still, sometimes you gotta isolate things to pick up the little things.

Did you notice how I took your advice by building up at the end of the guitar solo? You have a great bag of tricks with blues so by all means share them. I'd play more like you if I could ... but I can't, but I can at least pick up little bits like that. So thanks for the tipoff!

We played the tune better this time because we were more relaxed ... it was just a practice, recorded on a Zoom H2 ... and of course the tone was better on the demo. If you mistook it for a proper recording then I imagine you were having a herbally-induced Strangelove moment - good to see lol

I don't play rimshot backbeats ever because I can't practice them at home and I click 'em too often. Fortunately, rimshots are a bit loud for this group anyway.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Duncan, there is plenty of shame!
Pol, yes I noticed you built with the guitar solo, did I fail to recognize that? My bad.

OK I'll keep critiquing in my normal fashion. BTW, as you know, rimshots don't have to be loud. I play them at rediculously low volumes. I wasn't saying that because your backbeat was too low volume-wise, I just like what the rim does to the tone.

And yes I didn't realize it was just a quick and dirty capture. My bad there too. I have a good excuse though, having a limb fall off is a little unsettling.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Duncan, there is plenty of shame!
Pol, yes I noticed you built with the guitar solo, did I fail to recognize that? My bad.

OK I'll keep critiquing in my normal fashion. BTW, as you know, rimshots don't have to be loud. I play them at rediculously low volumes. I wasn't saying that because your backbeat was too low volume-wise, I just like what the rim does to the tone.

And yes I didn't realize it was just a quick and dirty capture. My bad there too. I have a good excuse though, having a limb fall off is a little unsettling.
Herr Larrich, how did you get das beard to be so ... so ... exotic??

I like the tone of rimshots too but, unlike many here, I don't want them in every backbeat, just for flavour. It takes much practice to have the control needed to play them quietly. I have the original vintage die cast hoops on the snare, which are great for cross stick but produce a very loud and cutting rimshot.

I can't practice on the kit at home so I just did some reading to see what was possible. The best tip I saw was to practice them on a pad by hitting with the shoulder of the stick, which changes the pad tone (and even that is still loud enough for my neighbours to hear). It's not the same but it does teach control of the angles.

Also to tilt the drum for comfort so that, if you miss the rimshot, you at least get the head rather than the rim click.