My attempt at Jazz drumming

theuntitleddrummer

im a 15 year old drummer. This wasn't constructed to be a solo. I was just playing some comping ideas. I used the son clave starting with the foot (you can't hear it has well) and then the hands. I did make some stops and I didn't bother to edit it out; I got lazy.. I did a latin groove I learned and at the end I speed up the swing tempo. Have mercy on my playing. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9YfYlouG4

youtube.com/himynameisryan56

Matt

Hey man! For a 15 year old, I didn't think that sucked at all (like you said on the description under the video). You obviously have some cool ideas and have spent some time working on putting those types of ideas together. I do have a suggestion about your jazz ride feel. I think that at slower tempos (all the way up to about 3:50 in your video), you should work on getting a "tighter" triplet feel. I know that in jazz it is a preference thing, but to me your feel was uncomfortably straight. I think you should delay the "skip note" more than you are. ( [ting - - ting - ta - ting] I think you should err on the side of the "ta" being on the late side of the triplet, and that a dotted eighth - sixteenth rhythm will feel better than a more straightened rhythm.)

You also had a really loose kind of feel on the snare drum. That is cool, except that sometimes some of your notes did not sound like they had very intentional, confident placement. I think that's mostly a rudimental practice and stick control type of issue, but like I said, you've obviously been exposed to the way those things work, so I would say just keep working hard and having fun with it!

theuntitleddrummer

Thanks for the comment Matt. I'll definitely work on my feel. I agree about my snare work, it was loose but some of those were new ideas so I guess it will work out. Thanks again!

aydee

Platinum Member
You have the most important thing anyone can have on the drums, in jazz or any other kind of music.

A nice feel. ( Sorry Matt, I thought his feel was terrific.. the rest can be worked upon )

Wavelength

Platinum Member
I like your touch on the instrument! I agree with Matt; you should work on the ride cymbal phrasing. Try playing along to some Art Blakey and Max Roach recordings.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Nice noodle session, TUD. It felt like you were having fun so the vid was fun to listen to. Nice idea to film in B&W to create that old time vibe.

Like others, I enjoyed the touch and feel of your playing, also your tuning. Be good if you can post occasionally as a record of your progress.