My attempt at a Steve Jordan kind of groove

Thanks!

Haha maybe that's his secret!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 303
Very cool man, I loved it... very groovy indeed :)

I would have loved is a little more energy... that's because you've also put a link of Steve doing his stuff... and the "energy" factor is what came first in my mind... and yes, you'll have to LOOK at the hat during the groove :)

Is it just me or does Steve's bottom hi-hat look pushed in...inverted like? Almost like a china or something?

Nice playing, nice groove and your drums sound great. Love that large cymbal on your left. Must be nearly a world record for longest hihat rod....man I'd need to cut that baby down in no time.

Is it just me or does Steve's bottom hi-hat look pushed in...inverted like? Almost like a china or something?

I saw that some time ago - apparently he's using thin crash cymbals as his 17" hi-hats and the bottom one couldn't take the pressure and inverted!

Not saying it didn't happen, but that particular cymbal in the pic does not look in any way inverted to me. What is making you guys think it is?

Nice groove Nerf. If ever there was a cat to rip some licks off, Jordan would be him. Cool stuff!!

In the video, have a look at the last clip of Steve playing. Definitely inverted that bottom hat.

Thanks for all the positive comments! :)

I know the energy is not there compared to Steve. I'm working on really digging in more, the way he does.

To address the questions about the kit:
The toms and bass drum are a Gretsch Catalina Jazz, snare is a Mapex Saturn 14"x5.5"
14" K Hi Hats, 20" Meinl Jazz Medium Ride on the crash side, and a 20" K Constantinople Medium Thin High cymbal on my right.

Thanks for all the positive comments! :)

I know the energy is not there compared to Steve. I'm working on really digging in more, the way he does.

To address the questions about the kit:
The toms and bass drum are a Gretsch Catalina Jazz, snare is a Mapex Saturn 14"x5.5"
14" K Hi Hats, 20" Meinl Jazz Medium Ride on the crash side, and a 20" K Constantinople Medium Thin High cymbal on my right.

Yeah, it was a good performance. But now we gotta work on your gear. You need at least a 22" bass drum. And then get a 22" light ride of some kind and the aforementioned 17" hi hats. And crank your snare way up too ;)

Back