My anti-NAMM performance video!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
There is a way that NAMM could fix this problem in fell swoop: return NAMM to actually being the National Association of Musical Merchandisers. In other words, return to the days when NAMM was NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Buyers only.

I've been to three NAMM shows while wearing a dealer badge. I noticed across those three years that the number of "Visitor" tags were increasing exponentially. The number of "Buyer" tags were very small. Those guys with "Buyer" tags were treated almost like celebrities in their own right!

There was talk at one time about making only the last day of NAMM open to the public, or at least making all but the last day "buyers and dealers only" days. I don't know what the current policy is. I've been out of the music dealer business for years now, so my current NAMM knowledge is far out of date. Do you know current policy, Bo?

GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm
I do not. I’m sure Bermuda knows much more about this than I. But one thing I do know, if NAMM downsized it in such a way, there’s a whole industry that would lose out. The convention center, for one. Then the hotel services and restaurants....even Disney probably sees a few folks attending NAMM.

So as much as it would be cool to have “just the cool people”, there’s an entire segment of the working population that make a good living off of this one event and that wouldn’t be there if NAMM shuttered itself to buyers only. Although I say check with Bermuda - he would know a lot more.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I do not. I’m sure Bermuda knows much more about this than I. But one thing I do know, if NAMM downsized it in such a way, there’s a whole industry that would lose out. The convention center, for one. Then the hotel services and restaurants....even Disney probably sees a few folks attending NAMM.

So as much as it would be cool to have “just the cool people”, there’s an entire segment of the working population that make a good living off of this one event and that wouldn’t be there if NAMM shuttered itself to buyers only. Although I say check with Bermuda - he would know a lot more.
Well, you could have a day or two that allowed more regular stick-toting people, and the rest for actual business. That seems reasonable to me.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
If SnowWhite, Cinderella, Ariel the Mermaid, Belle, Jasmine, Anna, Rapunzerl and bunch of other female Disney character's showed up at NAMM that would be cool. I'd pay a dollar to see that. Maybe an adult version? Well no that's sick-I like the idea but it's just bad. I think if do you something long enough it can jade you a bit so you have to guard yourself from such. Fortunately Bo has DW to vent, before he reaches critical mass and melts down, so he'll be ready for NAMM next year with a positive attitude-or at least be able to fake it LOL.

Last edited:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Watching videos of new gear released by manufactures over the past few years, I see Reps having to talk loudly into microphones, some of them to the point of distortion.
That and reading the references of a "Guitar Center" like environment, I get the feeling that attending the NAMM show is like this ad from a few years ago?

Last edited: