My 6 yr. old son's first gig

Your son is really good! He's even using his hi-hat foot! Keep him in those lessons, as long as he is having fun ofcourse :) That teacher is obviously doing a good job with your son.

That is totally AWESOME. The set looks HUGE next to him. What kind of sonors are those? I agree, he should keep going if he likes it.

The drums are Sonor special edition Birch. The whole kit is actually a 6-piece, 10,12, 14ft, 16ft, snare and 22x20 kick. He only needed those three pieces for that song so I wussed out and chose to take the easy set-up and tear-down version. He was supposed to have been center stage and was set to close the show but the gals running it freaked out about having the kit set-up back stage. The video would have been much better had he been on stage but he rocked it just as strong. He had a great time and yes, I am one hell of a proud dad. I am proud of his drumming but more proud that he had the courage to actually do it and remained calm and cool the entire time. I appreciate the kind words!

Hey BigBelly,

Damn, SIX years old?!?!? He kept great timing, was TOTALLY into the groove, and was nothing short of great.

I know you're proud of him, and rightfully so.

I had a kinda sad feeling watching that video though, and didn't know exactly why until just a minute ago-- I don't have any kids, and have been way OK with that until I watched YOUR kid... I almost wish I had a kid now.

Be proud, brother--that kid is gonna go far.

Cheers,
C. P.

The drums are Sonor special edition Birch. The whole kit is actually a 6-piece, 10,12, 14ft, 16ft, snare and 22x20 kick. He only needed those three pieces for that song so I wussed out and chose to take the easy set-up and tear-down version. He was supposed to have been center stage and was set to close the show but the gals running it freaked out about having the kit set-up back stage. The video would have been much better had he been on stage but he rocked it just as strong. He had a great time and yes, I am one hell of a proud dad. I am proud of his drumming but more proud that he had the courage to actually do it and remained calm and cool the entire time. I appreciate the kind words!

Wow. HOT drums. You realize that regardless of who actually owns the drums, they are his right? My dad still thinks of his 64 Ludwig set as 'his' but its definitely mine. Your first instrument is yours by definition. You must be VERY proud and you have reason to be.

This little guy rocks! I can tell you're a proud daddy and rightfully so! The great thing about these talent shows it it gives him the opportunity to play in front of an audience. Talent shows, festivals, open mic nights are great for that. As long as he's not shy it's great incentive when just practicing alone gets dreadfully boring. How long has he been playing? I've only been at it several months and he's already makin' me look bad!

You folks are saying some very nice things! Thank you. The reaction we have had from this has been incredible. For us, it's been the parents and their remarks and for Johnny it's his peers. His school is a K-8 but only about 400-500 kids. The daytime video is from his performance in front of his whole school...and his big brother. Johnny has become the talk of the school and because of that, his desire to play the drums has shot sky high! I think he is getting infected, me too.

Not long ago, I was looking for a way to help encourage his practice. Christmas came and we got our second kit, the Sonor in the video and as funny as it may sound, having two kits really made him turn a new leaf in his desire to play drums. Not only could he and I together play side by side, it gave him the opportunity to teach his big brother (or his friends) and for him, that was huge. Now he's getting a ton of attention because of it and even though he is very humble, I can tell he digs it. He is having a bunch of fun with drumming and that's exactly how it should be (fun).

Thanks again folks.

Back