My 22" Swish Knocker arrived today!

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
Finally, after a week (never order from company w/ Fed-Ex again) my Swish Knocker arrived. For those not familiar with one one is let me describe it. Guys have had these on their kits since the 1940s because of their interesting sound. The cymbal is basically a 22" pang with rivets(20). A pang is a mix between a china and a ride as it has a flanged edge like a china but a bow, bell and profile of a ride. Swish cymbals are great effects cymbals and now I have one. I can't wait to show up with it somewhere to see people's confused looks about it. It is a rather odd looking cymbal. I'll try and get pictures later this week.

Congrats on your new cymbal! Swish Knockers are great! They are actually very versatile as well, definitely on my list for upcoming additions.

From where did you order it?

spleen

Sweet....

Is that what Peter Erskine has above his floor tom?

Looks like a china with rivets...

I can't find one anywhere. I really want a 24" one like Simon Phillips has. would settle for 22" though. Could you help me ut bra?

Jimmy Chamberlin of Smashing Pumpkins uses one, too. You can hear it in a lot of their songs on their last album. I owned one awhile ago but traded it in for something else. At the time, I was thinking it was TOO big and in the way, but I wouldn't mind if I'd kept it. It has a great sound.

Beside Peter Erskine also Buddy Rich used one

...and here Steve White:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/stevewhite1.html

and here Peter Erskine:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/petererskinerhythmmethod.html

stevewhite.jpg

I'm familiar with it because - yes - i myself use one too.

A great cymbal, but needs some understanding. Really violant and tough in the beginning, but love it now.

Bernhard

Last edited:
Nice pick up!
I had one along time ago.
It was a cool sounding cymbal.
I loved the ones with 20 rivets--mine didn't have them, and I was bummed--it was the last of 3 left (period) when they were discontinuing them back then (1990).
I wonder if they are the same thickness now as mine was.

siphi_clone--check/keep checking eBay for a 24" Swish like Simon's.

Zildjian doesn't offer that size anymore, and they don't do special orders unfortunately.

It's a pretty freakin' cool cymbal--I heard Simon's last year when my band played a show with Toto.
It's the china over the Octobans.

skitback.jpg

He has a Swish, not a Swish Knocker.
The Knockers were only ever 22" cymbals (his cymbal doesn't have rivets either).

If you can find one, buy it, because it is a cool one.

Sabian will make a 24" Swish (they list it as a "Chinese") if you don't care that it's not a "Zildjian" (same formula though).

The AA Chinese would be the closest thing to the Swish Zildjian made.

Woodwind Brasswind stocks them... wwbw.com
They have a few things that the musiciansfriend inventory doesn't carry.

Thats Strange since they too are owned by Musiciansfriend or the conglomerate thereof.

Thats Strange since they too are owned by Musiciansfriend or the conglomerate thereof.

everyone has to have their own little corner of the pie or musiciansfriend would get all the biz! Of course they did not get mine in the purchase of my kit or accessories....ROFL

Oh, and to the cymbal...sounds sweet would love to hear a sound bite

Nice pick up!
I had one along time ago.
It was a cool sounding cymbal.
I loved the ones with 20 rivets--mine didn't have them, and I was bummed--it was the last of 3 left (period) when they were discontinuing them back then (1990).
I wonder if they are the same thickness now as mine was.

siphi_clone--check/keep checking eBay for a 24" Swish like Simon's.

Zildjian doesn't offer that size anymore, and they don't do special orders unfortunately.

It's a pretty freakin' cool cymbal--I heard Simon's last year when my band played a show with Toto.
It's the china over the Octobans.

skitback.jpg

He has a Swish, not a Swish Knocker.
The Knockers were only ever 22" cymbals (his cymbal doesn't have rivets either).

If you can find one, buy it, because it is a cool one.

Sabian will make a 24" Swish (they list it as a "Chinese") if you don't care that it's not a "Zildjian" (same formula though).

The AA Chinese would be the closest thing to the Swish Zildjian made.

Thanks mate, will do.

It's always a great day when your new knockers arrive in the mail.

Nice catch there, mate!

Probably because Zildjians are timeless cymbals! Buddy Rich had one he used very sparingly (like at the end of a chart) for an explosive crash. A couple times in the first minute of this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27B1mEr7rIw

Back