My 2013 NAMM report with pictures

Wow, great job Ian! Very well done, and your blog is an interesting read.

Nice blog mate. Enjoyed the read.

Can't believe Ludwig are really gonna wait in excess of six months to release the new mount-come-lug-come-clamp-come-bracket. The idea will be ripped off, adapted, modified, rebranded, on the shelves and out the door before they make a dollar out of the thing at that rate. Strange......as is customary where Ludwig are concerned I guess.

"But, really? Clip mounts?"

Couldn't agree more. How they get it so right with the new Renown and seemingly fall so short with the other, is beyond me.

Also can't wait to see that 23" Sweet Ride here in Oz. It should make its grand appearance in this backwater sometime circa 2018 I'll wager. Which should give me just enough time to beg, borrow and steal enough money to pay for the thing.

Good job! I enjoyed your post. Thank you

Very nice work Ian. TBH, I'm not sure why Liberty spent that amount of money doing the show either. They're a good UK custom builder. I wish them all the luck in the world, but you've got to have something more than a new wood/new finish in your goodies bag to stand any chance in the US market, & even if you have the best damn thing out there, your chances are still marginal at best. Brand is everything.

Very nice Ian. As stated by others, I really hope the new Ludwig mount doesn't take 6 months to hit the market.

Very nice work Ian. TBH, I'm not sure why Liberty spent that amount of money doing the show either. They're a good UK custom builder. I wish them all the luck in the world, but you've got to have something more than a new wood/new finish in your goodies bag to stand any chance in the US market, & even if you have the best damn thing out there, your chances are still marginal at best. Brand is everything.

I don't know, but I thought of you when I took that picture.

I was also thinking of you when I noticed the cork mounting bracket on the Goai line, and the stave shells of So Cal Drum co. I am really curious on your thoughts on the cork.

Overall, who knows. Every year I see a brand new brand of drum that is never heard from again. Lots of people want to make drums, not everyone gets to keep doing it.

Normally at NAMM I'm looking at gear, and I forget to take pictures of people. And I'm trying to be professional and not act like paparazzi. But this year I wanted to at least get a few pictures.

Here I am with one my drum instructors from when I was at PIT a million years ago. At the time, I thought he was much older than me, since he was so much more talented. It wasn't until much later I realized we're the same age. LOL. The one and only Mr. Ray Luzier.
ianray

Me and a good friend having a discussion about microphones with a certain drummerworld pro
(you might recognize both gentlemen)
toddsevenian

And you know you're having a good NAMM show when you got closed out of the same bar as Jojo Mayer. LOL!
jojosevenian

Nice blog mate. Enjoyed the read.

Can't believe Ludwig are really gonna wait in excess of six months to release the new mount-come-lug-come-clamp-come-bracket. The idea will be ripped off, adapted, modified, rebranded, on the shelves and out the door before they make a dollar out of the thing at that rate. Strange......as is customary where Ludwig are concerned I guess.

From what I've understood, it will be available immediately with new Ludwig kits purchases. It's only a wait for the retro fit.

But honestly, it is not uncommon for things to be shown at NAMM that won't be available for several months down the line.

Thanks for this write, all us non badgers appreciate your time.

Nice that you caught up with Mr Luzier, he strikes me as an all round good guy.

Gotta say, the Liberty drums looked nice, but didn't sound very good.

But worst in show sound-wise was that goofy SJC kit. I asked if the kick inside the kick, the woofer on the floor tom, and the tube through the rack tom were just for the show. The guy hit all three drums and said "the sound speaks for itself." Indeed it did. Just atrocious. In no genre could those lifeless, flappy sounds possibly work. He would have been smarter and more correct to say "this kit is just to attract attention to the booth" and not let anyone play them. Their tenacity is admirable, but I am very embarrassed for them.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Here I am with one my drum instructors from when I was at PIT a million years ago. At the time, I thought he was much older than me, since he was so much more talented. It wasn't until much later I realized we're the same age. LOL. The one and only Mr. Ray Luzier.
ianray

ah....one of my former instructors as well

nice to see Ray is well

great stuff brother

Yes, enjoyed the read Ian. Thanks for doing that for those of us who couldn't be there!

I will be waiting for a couple of then new Ludwig mounts. ;)

Gotta say, the Liberty drums looked nice, but didn't sound very good.

But worst in show sound-wise was that goofy SJC kit. I asked if the kick inside the kick, the woofer on the floor tom, and the tube through the rack tom were just for the show. The guy hit all three drums and said "the sound speaks for itself." Indeed it did. Just atrocious. In no genre could those lifeless, flappy sounds possibly work. He would have been smarter and more correct to say "this kit is just to attract attention to the booth" and not let anyone play them. Their tenacity is admirable, but I am very embarrassed for them.

Bermuda

I will hence-forth be referring to that as the "Turducken Kit". Hell, maybe they should just put a duck in the bass drum. Would probably sound better.

Back