Muting for Jam Sessions

TravCat

Anyone have any advice on muting drums for a jam session in a small space? I’ve already placed plastic muffle rings on the drums and plan on playing with hot rods. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Anyone have any advice on muting drums for a jam session in a small space? I’ve already placed plastic muffle rings on the drums and plan on playing with hot rods. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
maybe a softer beater for the bass drum? How quiet do you have to be?

Ghostin one

For example, Ringo was known to use a wallet, harmonica case, a pack of cigarettes, and tea towels. Not sure how much of that was "muting", and just getting a different sound.

1583257094119.png

TravCat

These are both great ideas. I will try them when we get together next time. I think it will probably come down to kit balance and learning to play a little softer.

MntnMan62

Why not play with those Promark Hot Rods drum sticks? they are thin rods of wood that are held togethr to form a stick. They flex so they are far quieter than regular sticks but not so quiet as brushes.

MntnMan62

I would start with brushes. Everyone's ears will adjust to the room and you may be able to move to sticks or the hot rods.
Wow. I feel like an idiot. I'm just seeing that TravCat already tried the Hot Rods. So my previous comment was moot. My apologies. Brushes sound like a good idea. I'll slink away now hoping no one will see me.

opentune

Platinum Member
I think one can use sticks quietly, but it takes some technique and delicate touch.
Tea towel on snare, use light thin hi hats, tape on the ride. When crashing use the tip of the stick on the top of the cymbal, rather than full-on hitting a glancing blow to the cymbal. Or use a crash cymbal during drum parts far less than you normally would.

C.M. Jones

Minimize use of crashes, play your hats more closed than open, and use the tips rather than the shoulder of your sticks. If those measures are insufficient, place thin towels on your drums, and shelve your sticks for a pair of rods.

beatdat

Something new from TAMA:

Maybe try them on cymbals, too?

Tama also makes a soft sound beater that's really quiet.

Peedy

on my home kit I mute the bass drum beater with two toddler socks over it secured with plastic ties.

roncadillac

Sincerely hope this doesn't come across as dismissive or snarky:

I spent so many years trying to find a way to make my drums quiet when the situation called for it and it took me a long time to realize that my drums weren't doing anything wrong and I needed to make my playing quiet. It took me even longer then that to actually be capable of making my playing 'that' quiet.

You won't see immediate results but if you are already in this boat then you may as well look at it as an opportunity to expand your playing and not a reason to bastardize your drums.

Beatles were great and Ringo had some cool grooves but his drums sounded like a fart your new girlfriend is trying to hold back on your first date but just can't and it subtly slips out during an awkward silent part of the conversation, skip the tea towels

drumnut87

are the other your jamming with bringing their volumes down as well? if they're not, then why should you?