Mute Pads Made from Car Mats

The other day I was in a discount store, saw a set of car mats for around $10, and bought them with the intention of using one for a shower mat.

After I got them home, it dawned on me that they might make decent drum mutes too. I therefore cut three of them up into drum-sized circles and put them on my drums.

The verdict? I can't tell the difference between my homemade drum mutes and the store bought kind for the toms. My mutes made from car mats seemingly quiet the toms by about the same amount, have decent stick action/rebound, and don't sound any worse than the real mutes. That is, my mutes make my toms sound lousy, but just enough tone comes through for me to at least know that I'm playing different toms.

Better, the scraps thrown on the cymbals mute those in the same way cymbal mutes do.

I do have reservations about using my homemade mute on the snare. It sounds fine with the snares off, but with the snares on, it sounds horrible. I may buy a Silent Stroke head for the snare and just deal with swapping out that head.

I also didn't make a mute for the bass drum. For now the bass can be handled by draping a cloth over the batter head, although I may eventually stuff it with pillows.

Anyway, lots of drummers use one or another DIY method for quieter apartment-friendly playing, but I never heard of the car mat option and decided to pass it along. It seems to work.

Better for me, I still have a car mat to use in the shower, which is what I bought the mats for in the first place. My tom and cymbal mutes are therefore free.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There are several options, but things like Black Holes and Ser-Pads are pricey.

This would probaby be similar to The HQ/Evans Sound/Off thingys. They are not too expensive and I have a few as I can't make noise until after regular school hours at one of the plces I work.

If the car mats work for you, then why not?

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
There are several options, but things like Black Holes and Ser-Pads are pricey.

This would probaby be similar to The HQ/Evans Sound/Off thingys. They are not too expensive and I have a few as I can't make noise until after regular school hours at one of the plces I work.

If the car mats work for you, then why not?

Good idea with the car mats.

My local hardware store sells neoprene rubber by the roll. It's the same material the SoundOff pads (and wetsuits) are made from. I'll usually get about 10' of it and cut circles out as necessary for quiet time. Like you, the scraps make for good cymbal mutes.

As for the kick, I just removed the reso head and jammed it with blankets and pillows. It's pretty dead.

If the time comes I need to use the kit for a gig, getting it ready requires nothing more than putting the reso back on, taking off the pads and hit the road.

Easy peasy.

opentune

Platinum Member
Buying sound-offs is a waste of money. Cheap yoga mats can be had for $10, you can cut out any sizes you want, and they are not as heavy.