must know drum songs

JUZZI

I've decided to set myself a personal challenge by making a list of 100 songs to learn on drums :)

How long this will take I don't know, we'll see! If I do not fully complete it, I aim to have a good crack at it at least. I think learning songs is a great way to take a drummer out of their comfort zone, progress quickly and keeps practice sessions refreshed. I also want to be able to bash out well known songs with my band when we jam for fun.

.....I need more to add to my list

Give me some of your ultimate drummer songs!?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Do you want drum-centric songs, or songs that drummers are likely to be playing? (I suppose there's some crossover.) A couple come to mind:

My Sharona
Making Plans For Nigel
Hard To Handle
Honky Tonk Woman
Born To Be Wild

Maybe throw in some Who & Led Zeppelin.

Have fun!

Bermuda

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Lots of good suggestions in this thread:

hawksmoor

Speaking of Hard To Handle by Otis Redding, is Al Jackson playing two-handed 16th notes on the hi-hat during the verse, does anyone know?

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Red Hot from Motley Crue and I Wish You were A Beer by Cycle Sluts From Hell are great for double bass work.
The Way The Wind Blows by Rush is great for hand/feet combo exercises.
My Sharona by the Knack is great for timing and sheer fun.

The sky is the limit for songs that either teach, or help what you already know.

danondrums

Videos or it didn't happen. :)

I don't have much input on this other than...
Join a cover band and learn their songs and then go play them. That should get you to 40. IMO 40 songs in front of an audience is more fun than 100 songs by yourself.

I do enjoy taking one song at a time that I truly love and dissecting it, learning it note for note and then recording video so that I can review and give an honest assessment of accuracy and find the weaknesses that I may not notice in the moment.

jimb

And for a bit of contrast, how bout.
Angel from Montgomery...very slow, masses of space between strikes..not easy, takes a lot of control.

BruceW

Do you want drum-centric songs, or songs that drummers are likely to be playing? (I suppose there's some crossover.) A couple come to mind:

My Sharona
Making Plans For Nigel
Hard To Handle
Honky Tonk Woman
Born To Be Wild

Maybe throw in some Who & Led Zeppelin.

Have fun!

Bermuda
We added My Sharona a couple months ago, what a fun song to play!

Of course, I have to sing it, so I don't get everything in there that belongs... :)

Played or still play most of your other choices, too, all great choices. I'd add Dirty Deeds, I Hate Myself For Lovin' You, and Ticket To Ride to that list.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I'm gonna recommend a smattering of Fishbone songs, 'cause they're interesting from the drum perspective, yet the parts fit the songs and aren't overly chops-heavy, and they're stylistically diverse. Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MrTheOne

I've decided to set myself a personal challenge by making a list of 100 songs to learn on drums :)

How long this will take I don't know, we'll see! If I do not fully complete it, I aim to have a good crack at it at least. I think learning songs is a great way to take a drummer out of their comfort zone, progress quickly and keeps practice sessions refreshed. I also want to be able to bash out well known songs with my band when we jam for fun.

.....I need more to add to my list

Give me some of your ultimate drummer songs!?
Spoonman.

Skyking

Here's a few oldies,
Rock and Roll, Led Zep.
Free Bird, L. Skynard...
Come Together, The Beatles.
Smoke on the Water or My Woman From Tokyo, Deep Purple
Fire, J. Hendrix
Light My Fire, The Doors

davor

Come as You Are - Nirvana

I've been having a go at this one lately as it has some nice staple drum beats/grooves/fills (flams etc) - which I'm hoping to incorporate into my playing in general