Musicians Institute

drummergirl6591

I've been wanting to go to MI for a few years now, but I've been reading reviews on the school recently and they don't sound very good. A lot of people say it isn't worth the money, they're over-priced, and the instructors aren't the greatest. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the school. I'm torn and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Thanks!

Marianne

I've been wanting to go to MI for a few years now, but I've been reading reviews on the school recently and they don't sound very good. A lot of people say it isn't worth the money, they're over-priced, and the instructors aren't the greatest. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the school. I'm torn and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Thanks!

Marianne

I would say contact them and maybe you can audit a few classes and see what the atmosphere is like. I'm sure in the interest of getting more students to enroll, they would be more than happy to accommodate you. I would meet a few students who are there and ask them what they think, and get a list of graduates you can contact and ask them now that they're out.

I attended MI in Hollywood in the late 90s and it was awesome...

if they think people like

Chuck Silverman
Maria Martinez
Fred Dinkins
Gary Hess
Tim Mcintyre
Tim Pederson
etc etc are no good then they have no idea what they are talking about...

its a great school in a great town with tons of opportunities

Chuck Silverman is on this forum....talk to him

I went in 1991.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I'm very happy to done it.

But at some point, the school was sold to new owners, and they really changed up the program, and increased the tuition, so it's impossible for me to say how it is now.

Several of the former names who were there did leave, but some other guys have been there since my time. Fred Dinkins is a monster drum teacher; he was the guy everyone wanted to have as their private teacher back then, and he's still there, as are several other teachers.

Plus they added Rob Carson; I wish he had been there when I was.

As for people saying negative things about it, that's always been the case. Long before the internet, people have slagged on the school and hurled insults at it. The vast majority of the people who say it's terrible have never been there.

But to be fair, check out LAMA too, which was started by several former MI teachers, and where Ralph Humphrey and Joe Pocaro teach.

I went in 1991.
That's the year I was going to go. I got out of the Navy in the fall of 1990 and that was my plan. But things around here were already heating up (pre-grunge explosion) so I never left.

But if I had, we'd have been classmates!

I went in 1991.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I'm very happy to done it.

But at some point, the school was sold to new owners, and they really changed up the program, and increased the tuition, so it's impossible for me to say how it is now.

Several of the former names who were there did leave, but some other guys have been there since my time. Fred Dinkins is a monster drum teacher; he was the guy everyone wanted to have as their private teacher back then, and he's still there, as are several other teachers.

Plus they added Rob Carson; I wish he had been there when I was.

As for people saying negative things about it, that's always been the case. Long before the internet, people have slagged on the school and hurled insults at it. The vast majority of the people who say it's terrible have never been there.

But to be fair, check out LAMA too, which was started by several former MI teachers, and where Ralph Humphrey and Joe Pocaro teach.

Fred Dinkins changed my life

on a side not to the OP....also check out Drummers Collective in NYC

Most probably it is not a problem to check out some classes and spend some time there before you make your decision. I did so when I visited LA, and it was easy to arrange. If you are considering going to music school its a good idea to spend a little time looking at some of the well known ones, and choosing depending on your musical tastes, needs, location, and finances.

:)

I think it will depend greatly on your goals. I considered going to music school, but for now I feel most comfortable choosing my own teachers. I can already hold down simple music in any style very well, so I don't feel like I need to be spending more time on things like that. My interests are really in the specialized techniques of my favorite drummers. So many professionals teach through Skype today that I can ask specific questions about specific things I see drummers doing in videos. It's very cool!

Still, I would love to attend music school for a few years, just to have the time dedicated to focus 100% on music. I can definitely see the value in eliminating all of the other distractions I deal with as an engineering student (not just a drummer).

Donny Gruendler teaches at MI. I took a lesson online with him and he is extremely knowledgeable about recording drums. He'll teach you about sizes of drums, tuning, microphones, mic placement, mixing, and so on for different styles of music. I really think that he is one of the best drummers around in terms of control of his sound. His grooves are more solid than steel. The exercises he gave me have honestly been the most practical and beneficial things I have ever worked on. Period.

And, I'm sure that MI is chock full of drummers on his level.

It's also about the musicians you will meet while you are studying. I know somebody who just graduated and is now playing in 5 different bands in LA. There is certainly something to be said for that.

If you go, I'll be jealous!!!

-sheldon

That's the year I was going to go. I got out of the Navy in the fall of 1990 and that was my plan. But things around here were already heating up (pre-grunge explosion) so I never left.

I would have been in your class also! lol I was on the road with Harlequinn Angel and left them to attend... It never happened though due to tuition.. bummer!

That would be cool.

I keep trying to track down more classmates, but back then we had no cell phones, no internet, no email, so there was no thought of "we'll all keep in touch". I think going today would be such a better experience in terms of networking.

Fred Dinkins changed my life

I hear you. I wasn't lucky enough to have Fred as my private, but I can still hear him preaching in the classes I did have with him. As I said, he's a monster of a teacher.

I talked to him this past NAMM. I'm surprised that after almost 20 years worth of students, he could still remember me.

I really regret I didn't go to Musicians Institute instead of Players' School. If I was gonna do it today though, I'd probably go to LAMA.

Back