Music triggering memories

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I was just making baked beans on toast for lunch (I don't normally eat them but they were leftover and I didn't want them wasted). As the beans poured from the Tupperware I had a vision of the famous scene in Tommy when Ann Margaret wallows in baked beans like an orgasmic mud wrestler.

Some will remember that I posted a cover of The Kinks's Sunny Afternoon and Abe said it brought him back to a time when a hot daughter of family friends played the song for him.

Larks Tongues in Aspic will always remind me of when I was around 10 or so and a local friend played me his big brother's LTIA LP - and it actually scared me and I asked him to turn it off.

Maggie May reminds me of my older sister - it was the first single of hers that I inherited. Ditto, the album Sgt Pepper.

Even when I hear Banarama's Venus it makes me think of Christmas long ago, when I got my first album - 20 Dynamic Hits. It included Blue Mink's Venus - a much better version. Ditto The Guess Who's American Woman.

I have lots of these

songs that trigger vivid images from my past, some for reasons unknown...they just do

Tears For Fears - everybody wants to rule the world

Don Henley - Boys Of Summer

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

the Eagles - I can't tell you why

these songs trigger these visions from my past that I have no explanation for....sort of a butterfly inducing nostalgia

its not even that I love the songs...they just do something to me when I hear them

Oh yes,

"Under the Milky Way" by the Church always reminds me of being a teenager, looking out the window at night, wondering what life all means.

"Pride" by U2, siting on a bus, watching my buddy get off the bus, after he admitted that song was cool, and everyone thought the song was cool, when prior to it's release he and everyone else at school would tease me for liking such an obscure band like U2. Hah.

Great White -"Rock Me"​
Best bachelor party I ever went to. One of the strippers danced to "Rock Me" .... good times .... good memories. I think that moment might be "etched" in my DNA, now.​
Larks Tongues in Aspic will always remind me of when I was around 10 or so and a local friend played me his big brother's LTIA LP - and it actually scared me and I asked him to turn it off.
I can see how this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCed47HdRu8 might scare a 10 year old.​
I was turned onto Spooky Tooth - "Ceremony" at age 13. I scared quite a few people, playing that album for them (or at them, as the case might be).​

oh,lots of em' Polly: first time I heard Don Henleys' boys of summer, I was driving down pch on a ugly foggy stormy day, then when I saw the mtv video, it looks like they filmed that part on the beach right by where I was driving that day I headr it. always flash on that.

oh, oh and this one, back in the early 80's my freind said come over, I bought some drums, and he was playing along with (learning) " touch and go" by the cars...I learned that one recently ( trippy 5/4 time).

Certain songs trigger memories, that's for sure, they remind us of our past existence, good, bad or sad, I think is an integral part of our lives. :)

I have a few for very different reasons and meanings, it's not a comprehensive list, just some "highlights" ...

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers
John Miles - Music
Cats musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber - Memory
Frank Sinatra - Fly Me To The Moon
ABBA - I Do, I Do, I Do....
Jacques Brel - Les Vieux
Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection
E.L.O. - The Diary of Horace Wimp

... and yes, some members are posting links or are talking about artists/bands that will trigger memories :)

Several for me too. Here's a few:

Santana and Rob Thomas' Smooth. - I was a new police officer and driving around In my cruiser, pulling into the parking lot of the local high school to meet up with a fellow officer and I remember hearing that song for the first time and instantly liking it. Everytime I hear it now, I always flashback to where I was the first time I heard it.

Clapton"s I Shot the Sheriff - this is the first song I can ever remember hearing on the radio so I always kind of flashback to me sitting in the floor of my room as a kid of about 6 years old listening to the radio.

And I have one of those scary memories too, of Bowie's Major Tom. I was probably about 12 or 13 and was babysitting. It was about 11:30 pm and all the kids were in bed and the house was fairly dark and a video (or maybe an SNL performance) of Bowie in full ziggy makeup came on of him singing that song and for some reason I just remember it totally freaking me out...lol. I remember that feeling every time I hear that song now.

Wow, there are so many.

To name a few:

- Season's in the Sun - Terry Jacks
- Fly Like and Eagle -Steve Miller
- Maggie May & I'm Losing You - Rod Stewart

It's great hearing these tales ... funny little random moments.

dmacc, we both have Maggie May **spooky** ... I was at a bassist's home when I first heard Fly Like An Eagle. Liked it's slightly spacey feel immediately.

Mary, David Bowie was a spooking looking guy! :)

Abe's the reason for this thread:

Boy, does this song brings back memories... the 20 yr daughter of some friends of my folks.. lusicious, voluptuous, AND she had this musky fragrance about her that played pure havoc with my hormones...

She, poor thing, had to entertain a pre pubescent 15 yr old Aydee, and I was invited to hang out in her room while the grownups hung out by themselves. THIS was the 45 that she had on her little record playee ( remember those thangs..? ) ooooh

Love the description of her haha

and different perceptions of songs:lol mad about drums has CATS on his list, well when I was in college preparing for a final in piano class, I was doing Pink Floyds' " nobodys home" for my final, on a giant stienway piano in frnot of 30 peole and when I finished this womans says' SOUNDS like no body's home" letting every one know she thought I sucked on piano. well on her turn, she chose " memories" from the cat's musical, and when she finished, i said " SOUNDS like some one stepped on that cat's tail" lol :p I couldn't take the high road that day.

these songs trigger these visions from my past that I have no explanation for....sort of a butterfly inducing nostalgia

its not even that I love the songs...they just do something to me when I hear them

Yes! Sometimes for me they don't trigger specific events... but emotions, or brief, insignificant memories. Like how the sun was filling my room with an orange glow, or the long stretches of rural road cushioned by infinite green on either side, or the city lights illuminating the night sky...

Yes! Sometimes for me they don't trigger specific events... but emotions, or brief, insignificant memories. Like how the sun was filling my room with an orange glow, or the long stretches of rural road cushioned by infinite green on either side, or the city lights illuminating the night sky...

completely

when I hear that Tears For Fears song I picture my old back yard on a hot summer day....no idea why

Back