Music that moves you to tears

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt...... A broken man seeking redemption at the end of his life.

Winner! Probably the saddest song I've heard.

I'll also add Genesis' "The Carpet Crawlers", Jethro Tull's "Life's a Long Song", Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' "The Kindness of Strangers", and Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

What's the date on this performance? I swear I can see the twin towers in the skyline (top right).

It's funny - you would think that it would be a lot easier to track down the date of a performance like this.

From what I can see : it was was actually October of 2001.

That kind of reminds of me of a Sting live concert I own on DVD: It was actually recorded ON September 11th, 2001. Beautiful show : "All this Time" was the name.

Despite a lifetime of soul, rock, blues, jazz, classical and pop music that I've deeply loved - it comes as a shock that I can say without hesitation (although I've never thought about this before) - that if music is the highest form of art, and it is, this piece of music is the most beautiful and moving thing ever created.
Never knew the lyrics till I saw these subtitles, so it's not those. Just pure, soaring, inexplicable beauty.
You can call me a nut, but not till you've listened to it. All of it.
Baillero, from Songs of the Auvergne, by Canteloube.
Do you think it’s time we introduced Sir Cliff to this thread? :unsure:

I'm not sure if our American bredren are ready for Sir Cliff. They haven't gotten over Bowie yet. Let's not blow their minds again.
I looked him up. Not familiar with his stuff at all. Didnt want to listen to it either based on y'alls murmurings of him. Will it make me want to drill my eardrums out?

He's big with housewives of a certain age! Was pretty much a British Elvis imitation originally - but he did have a pretty darn good surf guitar backing band - The Shadows.
Not as bad as I was expecting. Still a bit confusing though, surf Elvis? Y'all got a punk Wayne Newton hidden somewhere? Funk Conway Twitty?

Oh man there is a Robert Cray song (I cant remember song title but on Persuader album I think) about this man who has lost his identity and leaving his wife and kids - not for another woman-to find himself. There was a time in my marriage I felt same way and entertained bolting , then it gets into longer story but short of it I didn’t and so thankful I didn’t . So when I play song I shed a tear for me and then to the stupid jackass in song who bolted- the idiot.

Behind blue eyes makes me think of my late mom so... It's on my favorite Who album. Leonard Bernstein's Westside Story instrumental record really blew me away too. One night after a gig I heard it on the radio and when I pulled into my driveway I just sat there stunned and listened to the rest. Without the lyrics and dancing it's pretty densely layered. Lots of great harmony.

It's funny - you would think that it would be a lot easier to track down the date of a performance like this.

From what I can see : it was was actually October of 2001.

That kind of reminds of me of a Sting live concert I own on DVD: It was actually recorded ON September 11th, 2001. Beautiful show : "All this Time" was the name.
I think that's just the release date of the DVD or CD. Besides, I have a hard time envisioning NYCers casually laying out on the grass in Central Park just a couple of weeks after 9/11 with all the emotional stress and turmoil to deal with. And it's hard to say that, knowing how therapeutic symphony music can be. :rolleyes:

Wow, great thread. Thanks for sharing the music, guys.

I weep at the drop of a hat, so I'm crying right now, naturally. Lulz. Whenever the emotions well up, I cry, and I don't care. I'm good with that, it's something I genuinely like about myself.

What this thread reminded me of, in addition to all of the wonderful music that all y'all have posted already, is a memory I have of driving a rented Jeep on Maui. The radio station was all about "The smooth sounds of the 70s", and there I was, driving slowly on a dirt road in the middle of what must have been a farm (?) when "Before The Deluge" by Jackson Browne came on. I can usually carry on while crying, but I had to pull over and just...ugly cry/weep/sob uncontrollably for several minutes. It was a sublime moment.

Back when there were record shops, random dude recommended this album. Always liked this song and puts me in a good mood. Bulgarian so have no idea what they are saying, but love song says the title

Last edited:
Back