Music that moves you to tears

mikyok

Platinum Member
When I saw Carole King do Tapestry live. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow got me in a 60000 crowd at Hyde Park where you could hear a pin drop.

The original teeny bopper version is just that and far too happy but the Tapestry version is how it's meant to be done. It has feel, soul and a deeper meaning.

Ruok

Silver Member
Debussy’s orchestral interpretations of Satie’s Gymnopedies

Tchaikovsky’s 6th Symphony

And a whole lot of other classical pieces....

Chopin's Etude in E major is a lovely piece and it was covered by Apollo 100 in the early 70s entitled "Tristesse" (which I think means "sadness"), and this version can get me teary eyed at times. I think that Apollo 100 actually improved the melody the way they did it.

Hewitt2

Chopin's Etude in E major is a lovely piece and it was covered by Apollo 100 in the early 70s entitled "Tristesse" (which I think means "sadness"), and this version can get me teary eyed at times. I think that Apollo 100 actually improved the melody the way they did it.

That is an all-time lovely piece. One of my favourite piano pieces, for sure (Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto mines similar emotional ground for me).

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
"It'll All Work Out" from the album Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.
Was going through a bad break up during that album's release & this song just hit me right in the heart.

Yamaha Rider

Gold Member
Despite a lifetime of soul, rock, blues, jazz, classical and pop music that I've deeply loved - it comes as a shock that I can say without hesitation (although I've never thought about this before) - that if music is the highest form of art, and it is, this piece of music is the most beautiful and moving thing ever created.
Never knew the lyrics till I saw these subtitles, so it's not those. Just pure, soaring, inexplicable beauty.
You can call me a nut, but not till you've listened to it. All of it.
Baillero, from Songs of the Auvergne, by Canteloube.

Last edited:

Old Dog new Cans

For me, it's not a particular song. Yes, Heaven by Temple of The Dog played on the radio as I was driving to my Father's funeral. SO, yes, some songs have an effect when I hear them. ?

But, for me, it's more about the Soul of the singer. I watched the docu/concert movie about Aretha Franklin playing in the church in California in the early 70s I think it was. Her voice. . .you feel it deep inside. She FEELS, what she sings. That music was POWERFUL. I will add, it had nothing to do with it being "spiritual" music. Mainly about how the vocalist emotes, I guess?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
For me, it's not a particular song. Yes, Heaven by Temple of The Dog played on the radio as I was driving to my Father's funeral. SO, yes, some songs have an effect when I hear them. ?

But, for me, it's more about the Soul of the singer. I watched the docu/concert movie about Aretha Franklin playing in the church in California in the early 70s I think it was. Her voice. . .you feel it deep inside. She FEELS, what she sings. That music was POWERFUL. I will add, it had nothing to do with it being "spiritual" music. Mainly about how the vocalist emotes, I guess?

Yeah, Aretha was amazing. She might not have had the range of a Mariah or the sheer technique of a Whitney, but who cares? She sang from the deepest part of herself. You can’t not feel what she does when you hear her sing. She could sing the phone book and make you know how she felt about every name in there.

rhumbagirl

Flower Power stuff for me..

"Shower The People", "You've Got A Friend", "Carolina In My Mind" by James Taylor
"Take Me Home" by John Denver
"Sweet Caroline", "I Am, I Said", "Song Song Blue", and pretty much everything from Neil Diamond
"Daniel" by Elton John
"Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Sound of Silence", "Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel
"Close To You", "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters
"Magic" by Olivia Newton-John
"Fernando", "Dancing Queen", "Take A Chance On Me" by ABBA

And "Shallow" by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
And "Mama" by Queen
And "Yesterday", "Something" by The Beatles

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

The "Maria" section of Joshua Bell's version of The West Side Story Suite always gets me. By the time you reach it in the piece, you've already been on quite a sonic journey and when you love the movie/story etc. as much as I do : it's just hits different almost every single time. Worth a purchase to get it in high quality audio: but there are some live versions you can find online.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
The "Maria" section of Joshua Bell's version of The West Side Story Suite always gets me. By the time you reach it in the piece, you've already been on quite a sonic journey and when you love the movie/story etc. as much as I do : it's just hits different almost every single time. Worth a purchase to get it in high quality audio: but there are some live versions you can find online.

Bernstein is a legend

I have played drums and bass in many iterations of this musical over the years, and often times find my self getting chills at this part, especially if the actors are "in the moment" as well. Many times I am glad that no one can see me as I am a bit misty eyed...

rhumbagirl

What's the date on this performance? I swear I can see the twin towers in the skyline (top right).

Last edited: