Music that doesn't stand the test of time for you

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Love their “Cereal Killer” album. But a lot of that record sounds too clean and the parts too tight to be considered “punk” for me. I think it was a songwriter who hired studio musicians to make the band.

yeah...I considered them a "schtick" band...and the angry, young, poor, and pissed off at the world kid that I was could not take them seriously b/c they weren't seemingly angry, young, poor, and pissed off at the world

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
We all grow up sooner or later and wonder what everybody else was so mad about 😉

true...but also realized that there is a TON of stuff to still be mad about, but you just deal with it in a different way.

and I still LOVE angry, fast, loud, pissed of punk and metal to this day!!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I used to be this way, but now it just makes me tired. 🤣

it keeps me alive!!! The music, not the being pissed off...

Almost all of my punk and metal friends "grew out off" that music, and are now depressed, sullen, "beaten down" - honestly boring - people. I could not handle that kind of existence. I didn't "grow out of" any genre....I just added more to the pile.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Music is a funny thing! I swear I have a LONG list of bands that I should absolutely love, but I just don't for whatever reason.
Same here, and some of them make NO SENSE to me. I love Dylan and Springsteen and Jackson Browne (and Nick Drake and Elliott Smith and Sufjan Stevens and Mark Kozelek) but while I admire, respect and enjoy Warren Zevon, his music just doesn't move me the way the others do. I wish he/it did, and every few years I try again and, so far at least, no real luck.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Quiet Riot Metal Health

I hear it now and wonder if my brain was toast back then.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
it keeps me alive!!! The music, not the being pissed off...

Almost all of my punk and metal friends "grew out off" that music, and are now depressed, sullen, "beaten down" - honestly boring - people. I could not handle that kind of existence. I didn't "grow out of" any genre....I just added more to the pile.
I'm finding that as I get older I'm liking more extreme metal than I did as a teenager. Funny really, always liked metal but couldn't stand growls. Love them now...

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
I’m right there with you and am ashamed to admit I once owned a pair of parachute pants! o_O
Back then I didn’t know of the genre titled heavy metal. When I was 14 I was offered a free ticket to a band called Rush! And I declined!! Ugh. I still cringe at the commercial crap from the 80”s

You are hereby permanently admonished and ridiculed to within a hairs breath of your life for declining a ticket to a Rush concert.
Youth is wasted on the young. Sigh

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Wow. I might be the only one who has never heard of him
I had definitely vaguely heard of him, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard that song before, and I don’t know of any of his other songs that I might’ve heard.

I always find it interesting when artists who are big or even huge in either the UK or the states aren’t much more than a blip in the other place. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard any American talk about Robbie Williams, but I believe he is or was big over there for quite a while, no?
And I remember being gobsmacked nearly 20 years ago to discover that “Don’t Stop Believin“ was barely known by some of my English friends who were enormous music fans. It wasn’t that they didn’t like the song – – they had barely ever even heard of it. Blew my mind. In fact, one of those friends had made a decent living as a professional drummer for a while, even playing with Kylie Minogue for a bit. And he was astonished to find that great jazz drummer Steve Smith was the guy playing on the song.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
ASIA- Loved them in the early 80's but not so much now. They sounds kind of dated and a bit too polished for my liking.

I still enjoy listening to the bands of the 1970's that each member came from that made them famous.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'm finding that as I get older I'm liking more extreme metal than I did as a teenager. Funny really, always liked metal but couldn't stand growls. Love them now...

yeah....that happened to me in the early 90's...I got into Morbid Angel, Diecide and Nocturnus, mostly for the playing, ,and the vocals just sort of ended up being tolerable. I was ok with "yelling vocals" like Chuck Billy and Phil Anselmo, but it took time for the Cookie Monster stuff to sink in

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
ASIA- Loved them in the early 80's and the original bands of the 70's that each member came from.
But now, it sounds kind of dated and a bit too polished for my liking.

agreed...I listen to them about once every 3 or 4 years, get some warm fuzzies of the early 80's, and then move on

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Portishead's first two albums. I used to really enjoy them but now I can't even get through the first track on either of them. I'm not sure what happened - probably me.

However, their third album ('Third') really is an absolute masterpiece that will stand the test of time and sounds like absolutely nothing else.