Music that doesn't stand the test of time for you

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I was a kid in the 80s and in my 20's in the 1990s. While there are some high points in music during that time, there is an absolute ton of garbage as well. It's so disappointing to see so much music that doesn't stand the test of time with me. There are elements of it that I love, but it's heartbreaking to listen to some of it now.

I don't intend to this to be about bashing specific bands; it's more a reflection of a middle-aged musician's thinking.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I'm on the other side of the fence. Music that I liked as a kid I still like for the most part. I might not listen to it nearly as much anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont like it.

The list of songs the radio has ruined for me is about the only exception. I still dont dislike them, just dont wanna hear them anymore.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There were elements with respects to time periods in music which made them timeless. 20s, 50s and 80s come to mind. While there were depressing and crappy songs in those times as well, most of what made the test have been on the “fun” side of the music. The roaring 20s, gave way to fairly docile 30s and 40s music. 50s were fun again, but 60s and 70s were eras of more depressing and dark songs. Back to party jams in the 80s and then it all shifted to dark and in some cases hostile songs. Obviously, there were memorable songs in other years, but as a generalization….We’ll see where it goes next, but I don’t have much hope for most of it surviving the test of time. We’ll see.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'm on the other side of the fence. Music that I liked as a kid I still like for the most part. I might not listen to it nearly as much anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont like it.

The list of songs the radio has ruined for me is about the only exception. I still dont dislike them, just dont wanna hear them anymore.

same here for the most part, but one band I can think of right away:

Grim Reaper - I loved them when they first came out, but man, after some retrospection, the cheese factor was pretty high there

there are also probably 100's of punk bands that I have on mix tapes that could go in this category as well, but the one that stands out the most to me is The Mentors. The 7th grade me loved them...

Al Strange

Platinum Member
The Police have stayed with me since I was 7 and are still my favourite band…I still love most of the songs and bands I liked back in the day to be fair…the same can’t be said for my early childhood faves Adam and the Ants, The Smurfs, and during a strange spell where I was starved of decent hard rock I dabbled with, erm, Limp Bizkit! I wasn’t a child at this point so was old enough to know better!!!:unsure::ROFLMAO:(y)

Out of Round

I was unaware of this whole thing at the time, but may as well post it in this thread. Del Shannon is the cop at the end, so he was okay with it. It stands as a document of a particular historical period. It sits outside the boundaries of time and taste.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Everything I've listened to too much I'm tired of. Doesn't matter that it is.

Reactions: TMe

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Music that I liked as a kid I still like for the most part. I might not listen to it nearly as much anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont like it.
Same here. If I liked it then, I like it now.

However there are some bands/artists that I may not have liked initially, but grew to like as I got older. Oddly, Led Zeppelin was one of those. I was aware of their first hits, but at age 12 wasn't really ready for them. It was a few more years before I appreciated them, and Bonham.

Likewise, there are bands/artists that I never liked, and still don't!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I was unaware of this whole thing at the time...
Luis and I were sorta acquainted, he and his band Renegade were from the Whittier area and my girlfriend's younger sister was a fan and friends with them. Long story about them and their manager/groomer Kim Richards. I'm sure it's documented somewhere.

Here's me and Luis in 2017 - and yes that's Vic Salazar on the left!

_luis.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
@PorkPieGuy you are getting sentimental in your middle age...Well, the more things change the more they stay the same...or something along those lines.

I grew up in a musical family, and distinctly remember falling asleep with the bass/drums of the latest pop/rock tunes pounding through the walls whilst my folks' band practiced into the night (or so it seemed)- circa 1970. So let's just say that rock and roll was ingrained into me from the very earliest age. They did more top 40 stuff (to get the gigs), but by 9th grade I was into hard rock/heavy metal more than anything (except maybe marching band music lol). I fell in love with the likes of AC/DC, DL, LZ, JP, IM, GNR, etc. I also developed a great affinity for fusion artists such as The Police, Brecker Brothers, Mother's Finest, Jeff Beck, Chicago. I still listen to all of these bands who frankly formed the backdrop of my teen years and created some of the best music available.

IMHO it's the music we listen to 12-18 years old that most of us hang on to throughout life...it harkens back to the days of our youth when the world was at our feet and nothing could stop us.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I was unaware of this whole thing at the time, but may as well post it in this thread. Del Shannon is the cop at the end, so he was okay with it. It stands as a document of a particular historical period. It sits outside the boundaries of time and taste.
As a 16 year old I absolutely wanted to be Luis!!!:ROFLMAO:(y)

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
The Police have stayed with me since I was 7 and are still my favourite band…I still love most of the songs and bands I liked back in the day to be fair…the same can’t be said for my early childhood faves Adam and the Ants, The Smurfs, and during a strange spell where I was starved of decent hard rock I dabbled with, erm, Limp Bizkit! I wasn’t a child at this point so was old enough to know better!!!:unsure::ROFLMAO:(y)
The Police are amazing. Limp Bizkit not so much lol. If if makes you feel any better, I once owned a Wild Cherry album.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Everything I've listened to too much I'm tired of. Doesn't matter that it is.
Good point! Over the last few years I have tried to expand my musical horizons, particularly related to vintage vinyl and genres/music. I have 'discovered' Roxy Music, Talking Heads, B-52's, No Doubt and other bands outside of my (perceived) Rock or Metal genres -which didn't really capture my attention when they were first released- but now I find have a great deal of musical talent and interesting arrangements to continue to explore.

TMe

Across the board, I'd say anything that leans to a stiff, mechanical sound, and anything that relies on heavy-handed production techniques doesn't stand up very long. Today's cool effect is tomorrow's laughable garbage. (I'm looking at you, Auto-Tune.)

TMe

I'm going to go for it and say that Rush's 'Power Windows' has aged horribly. At least in terms of production.
I was going to add "loudness war" to "Auto-Tune" when saying that today's cool effect is tomorrow's garbage, but then we'd be off and running, compiling a list of recording effects that seemed cool at the time. Exaggerated stereo pans, e-drums...

The Shepherd

I can no longer handle the whiny lyrics of '90's "alternative" bands. I just don't care about some guy losing his girlfriend to some edgy tweaker.