Music Appreciation

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Music appreciation, the dark side. The lack and/or ignorance of, has a way of putting a white hot spotlight on my inner ignorance. Meaning if I say I don't care for screamo metal for instance. Recently, I realized I really, really love hearing chords with anything I'm listening too. Gotta have them as a major structure of the song. So anything without chords, (I think of bebop) I shun. Who loses there? I love jazz now, but I had to sort of force myself to try and get it in the beginning. But it has to have chords for me now, isn't that rediculous?

Disconcerting, sad, and not at all good when facing one's mental musical limits.

I guess my question is, is it unhealthy to not like certain musics?

To me it's like saying I don't like a particular soundwave form. It's stupid, no matter how I try and justify it.

And believe me, I can sit here and justify it all day ha ha.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Nah, I think it's just fine. It's just ingredients thrown into a recipe. I love pizza, and I love spinach. I hate spinach pizza. I see music as the same. You don't hate the soundwave itself, you just don't like what it's been mixed with.

I'm the opposite. For me, chords ringing out can kill a song if over used. I like to hear guitar/bass/key players using their whole instrument. There are tons of notes, please use them.

Old Dog new Cans

I've always said that music is like food, we eat what tastes good. Plain and simple. You mentioned two genres that I also struggle with. They can be, Extreme. Extremely fast or extremely syncopated. It's hard to follow sometimes. Just playing at 180 bpm because you can do it well, doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good to the ear.

I'm certainly not going to continue to force myself to listen to something that isn't pleasing.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Music with challenging harmony is tough to appreciate, when you don't have significant training on piano or guitar. Take away chords, and it's even more difficult.

Recently, I realized I really, really love hearing chords with anything I'm listening too. Gotta have them as a major structure of the song. So anything without chords, (I think of bebop) I shun.
When you hear chords in a song, it spells out the harmony of the song explicitly. There is no guessing whether the tonality is minor, major, dominant, whatever. But let's say you're listening to a jazz duo of, say, only bass and sax. If they play a song that you recognize and know well, you'll be able to follow along quite easily, and if the bass player explicitly plays the tones of each chord, it will be even easier. No chords are necessary.

Now, when the players stretch a bit, and play tones that refer to the chords in less obvious ways, it will sound less like "the song", and create tension. At some point, the duo will return to the more obvious chord tones, and resolve the tension.

If the players stretch past the point that you are able to discern "the song", well, that probably means that your sense of harmony is not very advanced, which, of course, is common among drummers who don't study a pitched, chorded instrument as well (i.e. piano or guitar).

EDIT: You're of course free to dislike whatever you want. But you can't *really* like something unless you understand it first.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
EDIT: You're of course free to dislike whatever you want. But you can't *really* like something unless you understand it first.
This is an interesting statement. I'll have to think about this for a while.
Maybe what you mean is; When you understand where the music is going, and/or where it just was and you are familiar with what is happening, then you are more likely to enjoy it.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I guess my question is, is it unhealthy to not like certain musics?
No. Not at all. And don't let anyone tell you any different.

HOWEVER...

Be careful whenever you start sharing your dislikes because people get really stupid really quickly whenever you say you don't like something. Although it may not seem like it here on DW, I keep A LOT of thoughts and opinions to myself. I try to think, "Will someone out there find this helpful?" or "Would this be a fun conversation?" before I post most things. If the answer is no to either of these, most of the time I say nothing.

Tastes are a funny thing in that if you look at something on paper, for all logic's sake, you should like them, but you just don't for whatever reason.

Life is short, and life is really freaking hard sometimes. Try to keep an open mind, but I say enjoy what you like and heck with the rest.

It's different - sometimes it takes time and listening to other music first to like something.
I don't worry as long as I can enjoy different kinds of music. There's too many albums to listen to all of them, anyway.

I wonder about the chord thing, though. There are lots more chords in Bebop than most other genres. Maybe you don't like the sound in general or if the chords are not played by anyone. How do you like this video?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wonder about the chord thing, though. There are lots more chords in Bebop than most other genres. Maybe you don't like the sound in general or if the chords are not played by anyone. How do you like this video?
There are probably chords in some bebop, I'm no authority there. If they are there, I am missing them because all I hear are the soloists mainly. See, doesn't that sound completely ignorant? It does to me. I'm probably insulting people too.

I like that video very much. To me, that's jazz not bebop. I think of Coltrane for bebop. I'm probably wrong there. Maybe I'm referring to hard bop? This is wonderful stuff in the video.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Viva la difference'. Boring world if we all thought alike-and a scary world. I'm digging on metal now just like jazz-have to start wit pablum and move up though. I like everything but the inaudible growling singing part-other than that I dig it. The evil Satan voice just stirs something primal that makes me want to climb on stage and beat the Hell of Satan-quit that crap and sing like a damn angel. LOL

Jbravo

I like what I like, but make the effort to give new things a try. An example I’ll use is Le Butcherettes.
What first attracted me was the drums sounds. There are some pretty odd sounds in their music too, some of which I still don’t care for. But they mostly write a good song, and Teri has the perfect voice for her music.

I come on the forum to relax and learn things. So I prefer to read about what people like, and other positive info. Likewise, I’m more likely to post about things I like than things I don’t.

Everyone has their preferences, and me raining on their parade doesn’t make me any happier, so why bother?😊

To your point Larry, no one but me make the final decision on what I like, and I feel no regret or guilt about it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Maybe I would be a better person and a better musician if I were more open minded. I just think a lot of today's music feels like an assault on my senses. I'm looking to be soothed by music. How pathetic is that? Get with the times old man. I can see how people become closed off to new stuff. It's something I have to be vigilant about or it would happen to me even worse than it is.

Jazz...I knew jazz was worthwhile making myself listen. I don't feel the same way about metal. I would never want to work that hard playing drums.
It's just wrong to celebrate a person's limits thinking it's OK. I think.

Jbravo

I like metal as in Metallica and Motorhead etc, but I’m also not into the scream/ shout type of metal too much either.

On the other hand, we have a group of local kids called “Afraid of the Dark” who mix that stuff in with some pretty good songs and a good female lead vocalist.

I think the music you grew up with kinda sets your baseline and your tastes expand and contract from there...

Mongrel

Silver Member
Shut up and play your....

Guitar
Drums
Bass
Harmonica
Keyboard
Table top
Cajon....well, on second thought....lol.
Whatever...

The navel gazing is killing me. So tired of all the thinking...analyizing, hand-wringing, self doubt, apologizing, and agonizing over nothing.

Just.
Shut.
Up.
And....
PLAY (or listen?)

You don't need a psych eval because you don't care for something.

Period....

:p

Last edited:

Jbravo

Shut up and play your....

Guitar
Drums
Bass
Harmonica
Keyboard
Table top
Cajon....well, on second thought....lol.
Whatever...

The navel gazing is killing me. So tired of all the thinking...analyizing, hand-wringing, self doubt, apologizing, and agonizing over nothing.

Just.
Shut.
Up.
And....
PLAY (or listen?)

You don't need a psych eval because you don't care for something.

Period....

:p
I’m gonna have to get back on the diet- all my navel gazing has to be done with mirrors.😊

brentcn

Platinum Member
This is an interesting statement. I'll have to think about this for a while.
Maybe what you mean is; When you understand where the music is going, and/or where it just was and you are familiar with what is happening, then you are more likely to enjoy it.

Yes, that’s a good way to phrase it. Coltrane’s My Favorite Things is a good example of how adventurous playing is made accessible, because the tune is familiar. But not all adventurous playing is done against a familiar tune.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Regarding chords - I do find it harder to listen to free jazz or modal jazz where there is just one scale or chord for the whole piece. I miss the sense of direction, the road map. Which is probably the exact thing that appeals to the free jazz fans.

Overall, I try not to comment on the few styles of music that completely bore me or irritate me, because for some people out there those styles are their ultimate favourite music that they live and breathe. Best not to offend for no good reason.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Jazz...I knew jazz was worthwhile making myself listen. I don't feel the same way about metal. I would never want to work that hard playing drums.
That's the thing Uncle Larry, the work is worth the reward. It's just practice and repetition like with any style of music, and with time the work becomes easy. It's just a different set of variables plugged into the same equation. The foundation is still the same. We still use the same rudiments and techniques. It's up to the user to decide what to do with it. Once you get it, you got it. And once you got it, you improve on it. No difference.

There are probably chords in some bebop, I'm no authority there. If they are there, I am missing them because all I hear are the soloists mainly. See, doesn't that sound completely ignorant? It does to me. I'm probably insulting people too.

I like that video very much. To me, that's jazz not bebop. I think of Coltrane for bebop. I'm probably wrong there. Maybe I'm referring to hard bop? This is wonderful stuff in the video.
Well, I don't feel insulted. :) I just posted that video because either guitar or piano are playing the chords a lot of times. Maybe that's what you want to hear in music. Anyway, Bebop and Hard Bop generally have lots of chords and you probably already like it. :)
Here's another set of videos of the tune "There Will Never Be Another You". If you listen to the third version first, you may feel a bit lost if you don't know the tune but if you listen to them in this order, you might appreciate the third version all of a sudden because you can sing the theme to yourself and know where you are in the structure.
This version includes the lyrics, so it's probably the most accessible one:
Then here's more of a classic bebop rendition with chords provided by the piano:
And here's a version without chordal instruments:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Larry not to confuse the matter even more, but isn't there music we appreciate listening to vs performing, as opposed
to both playing and appreciating it ?

An example could go like this:: I like listening to Prog much more than trying to play it. Or...I like listening to Big band as well as
playing in one.

Last edited: