Murat Dirils for a listen?

johnnylaw

Hello All,

I can't seem to find any stores in New England that carry these cymbals. Anybody know where they can be played in my neck of the woods?

Thanks

cabbo

I wish I could help you out. I am on the west coast and there are no dealers here either. I bought my collection blind through Keith Banks Music in Texas. Keith took my order and shipped it off to Murat. Six - eight weeks later my cymbals arrived direct from Turkey. I am extremely happy with the quality of these pies... extremely happy. I have ordered twice from Keith and he has treated me well including dealing with shipping glitches, etc. Great prices as well. If you haven't already checked Murat's cool website do so; lots of short but well recorded sound samples.

I have Renaissance and Black Sea series here. Love hitting them with sticks, so deeply musical.

As a qualifier: I have no financial connections to Keith or Murat. Not a pro either. Just a guy with a fairly good ear who played congas and other hand drums for 14 years, then took the plunge last year and bought a Gretsch kit. I tried out several different cymbals before deciding to check out Murat Diril. Not looking back.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I sort of recall that they were being distributed by a guy/company on the east coast, maybe in Virginia or one of the Carloinas? If you can find him, it's possible that some nearby stores will have some product. Might be worth a little trip down there. :)

Nice cymbals, but you definitely need to hear them, and preferably also play them in order to make a decision.

Bermuda

* I may be thinking of Ibrahim Diril's cymbals... also nice! I think he and Murat are cousins. Also, ,one of them used to (or still does) make the blanks for the Paiste Twenty series, which are also nice of you can find an assortment of them to try!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's hard to get any genuine real deal Turkish cymbals in the US, unless you live near where the few distributors are.

I've resorted to buying my MasterWorks cymbals (distributed through Soultone) deaf online. Not perfect, but I haven't returned anything yet. I actually use both sets. So far I've purchased 2 sets of hi hats and an Istanbul 22" Azure ride online. No regrets.

Still, I'd rather be able to hear them first. At least I can get them is my attitude.

dührssen

Since the distribution here in Germany is quite good, I could test most of the Murat's and Ibrahims's within the last years and these are totally fine cymbals for a nice price (at least here in Europe...can't tell wether the price will increase after shipping to the states).

Most of the series are on Youtube as soundfiles. But of course, handhammered cymbals as they are, they vary in sound from model to model.

Have you checked out Soultone cymbals yet? It's quite the same thing for me with these. Wanted to give them a listen but can't test in Europe. But as far as I could see, they might be similiar to the Dirils.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I sort of recall that they were being distributed by a guy/company on the east coast, maybe in Virginia or one of the Carloinas? If you can find him, it's possible that some nearby stores will have some product. Might be worth a little trip down there. :)

Nice cymbals, but you definitely need to hear them, and preferably also play them in order to make a decision.

Bermuda

* I may be thinking of Ibrahim Diril's cymbals... also nice! I think he and Murat are cousins. Also, ,one of them used to (or still does) make the blanks for the Paiste Twenty series, which are also nice of you can find an assortment of them to try!
Yes, it was Ibrahim who made the blanks for the Paiste Twenties, and he made the Byzanse series blanks for Meinl. He was trained in the original, pre-split Istanbul factory.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
We've got a guy up here on CL that has been trying to sell one for a couple of months.
Never heard of the brand and @200 bucks ,not many takers.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/6091080911.html
I bet that cymbal sounds really good too.
I hear you though. That's why I strayed away from one of my buying policies, which is, stick to the major brands because they are easier to sell. Plus, I bought it without hearing it live in person. (Policy #2)

But seriously, the seller had an online video of the exact cymbal I bought. It just had such a sweet sound to it with headphones on. I compared it to a few K's, and it smoked them sound-wise (IMO).

I'm not afraid that I might have to get rid of it either. Since I've started collecting a few cymbals in 2011, I've only dropped two out of my collection. The first was a 18" Paiste Prototype Crash that I sold to a friend because he needed a Paiste Crash. (All his Signature Crashes got cracked. Ha ha) And, I sold a 16" Sabian XS-20. It was a good crash but just too generic for my ever-evolving taste in crash cymbals.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I tried the 19" AD Crash Ibrahim Diril cymbal last night at band practice. I finally understand what people mean when they say it has a smokey sound to it. It is very different that the A Custom crashes, which are bright. I used it as a ride. It is more of a light Jazz ride, but it works very well for classic rock too. It is certainly louder than the 18" A Custom. All in all, it's a very nice cymbal, and I am very pleased with this purchase. I would recommend getting one for yourself.