Multiple bounce roll technique

But that's a person thing, not a wrong technique thing. Straining too hard when pooping is bad too, but whose gonna tell someone they are pooping wrong?

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is you can hold the stick correctly but still squeeze it too hard. That's the person's fault.

I just think it’s more complex than that, although I do partially agree.

I just think it’s more complex than that, although I do partially agree.
I'm willing to bet a majority of the problem, regardless of where the problem lies (squeezing/holding stick wrong/whatever), is in lack of instruction. Having someone watch you and make corrections week after week goes a long way.

While I'm an advocate of using all my fingers on the stick as much as possible, for multiple bounce...or "crush" rolls...I only use my thumb and index finger. I create a pivot point with just those 2 digits, and I crush the stick into the head as unclean as I can. As much slop as I can get from it. Any more digits on the stick other than 2 inhibits the sticks natural inclination to multiple bounce.

So pinch the stick and crush the stick into the head, alternating hands. That's how I do it.

Try to blend the sound of each hand with the sound of the other for that seamless effect
I think I like this, for me it makes sense. The pivot point between the index finger and the thumb, that's what I do naturally in fact.. i was afraid that it was required to use the other finger under the stick.

At least for the type of exercise in Stick Control.

The amount of pressure i'll see about that by practicing it.. and trying to find the pressure sweet spot.

Sooooo…..squeezing the stick tightly is absolutely not the correct method for this. One of the best things I’ve found to improve my buzz rolls is to play paradiddles with triple stroke and quadruple stroke pickups to each paradiddle, like a flamadiddle, but with more notes. Sticking would be LLL R-L-R-R for the triple, and just add another L for the quadruple. You can also do this without the paradiddle, just alternate as if you’re playing drags or flams, but doing triples and quads.

It takes a while to get a good buzz roll going, it’s one of the hardest things in drumming. Just be patient with the process.
I will try to buzz this sticking tomorrow LLL R-L-R-R

Yep it's about letting the stick do the work-so I do like Larry and pinch stick between thumb and index (though finger next to index does play into it) and press into the head-you can also just let it drag multiple bounce like Jo Jo and jazz snare comping-I love that because you can let it decay or keep it an even tempo drag buzz. I use American but been in a French kick lately. If you ever watch me play I do lots of one handed buzz rolls and drag rolls with my snare left hand (usually I do those near edge) -I over do it at times. I also do a single handed roll that is a really a single hit followed by triplet but it sounds like a single stroke roll because how it evens out continuously going (bounce control and it has that agitation motion with wrist that pumps it but I use low stick heights unlike blasters). I'd play with what works for you getting the most bounce for your effort-and I think it's more getting out of the way of the stick and let it build a momentum and action for multiple strokes. Here is an old video of mine to a drumless track that I filled with accent drags, buzzes and rolls with my left snare hand. Like too much so like I say I can get carried away with it I should name it "Kind of a drag" ROFL.
Nice playing there, really a fun way to spend time,

I like when you publish these video examples.

I think I like this, for me it makes sense. The pivot point between the index finger and the thumb, that's what I do naturally in fact.. i was afraid that it was required to use the other finger under the stick.

At least for the type of exercise in Stick Control.

The amount of pressure i'll see about that by practicing it.. and trying to find the pressure sweet spot.

I will try to buzz this sticking tomorrow LLL R-L-R-R

and I would alternate that with RRR L-R-L-L

I’ve always had crappy technique but at this late date hard to change so like Popeye the Sailor man I am what I am.
Also you have to roll to get to buzz- so this year makes 50 years of rolling actually. Rolling rolling rolling down the river. I’ve always had a knack rolling with one hand I think I maybe part cowboy.

the more I grip the stick on a press buzz roll(e.g. the more contact with my fingers and hand) the less movement of the stick so the roll sounds...what...tighter?..with an extreme of sounding choked.

the looser (just pressing with minimal thumb and one other finger) the more...open?...more loose the roll sounds.

Not really a situation of either/or...more of where on the gradient you want to make the roll to express what you want.

Yep it's about letting the stick do the work-so I do like Larry and pinch stick between thumb and index (though finger next to index does play into it) and press into the head-you can also just let it drag multiple bounce like Jo Jo and jazz snare comping-I love that because you can let it decay or keep it an even tempo drag buzz. I use American but been in a French kick lately. If you ever watch me play I do lots of one handed buzz rolls and drag rolls with my snare left hand (usually I do those near edge) -I over do it at times. I also do a single handed roll that is a really a single hit followed by triplet but it sounds like a single stroke roll because how it evens out continuously going (bounce control and it has that agitation motion with wrist that pumps it but I use low stick heights unlike blasters). I'd play with what works for you getting the most bounce for your effort-and I think it's more getting out of the way of the stick and let it build a momentum and action for multiple strokes. Here is an old video of mine to a drumless track that I filled with accent drags, buzzes and rolls with my left snare hand. Like too much so like I say I can get carried away with it I should name it "Kind of a drag" ROFL.
Sounds great..can you help calm my blood pressure?..that is NOT a Brady 7x13 sheoak block snare..please say no.

In conclusion, having an instructor observe you pooping week after week goes a long way toward learning the correct technique.

Are there zoom lessons going on that I didn’t know about? 🤔
Lol I was trying to come up with an analogy and couldn't really think of another activity where you can do it right but squeeze too hard. I've got some now:

Using a pencil
Using a piping bag
Making a fist
Opening a plastic bottle

I apologise for the pooping analogy. Or do I?

Back