Multi track vs. USB

I used a Mac, So Im using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for my Earthworks mics (2 OH, kick, snare, 4 toms) and then in the Mac Im combining it as a single interface with the XR18 which gives me another 16 inputs to create 24 total..
Are you using a USB Thunderbolt dock? If so, any delays associated with that? Thanks

Are you using a USB Thunderbolt dock? If so, any delays associated with that? Thanks

No I’m going to USB-C straight into my M1 Mac Mini

No I’m going to USB-C straight into my M1 Mac Mini
So you're using two USB ports on the Mac. I'm asking because it hasn't occurred to me that I can get another AI and use the Kanex dock that I have to connect to my Macbook Pro.

So you're using two USB ports on the Mac. I'm asking because it hasn't occurred to me that I could get another AI and use the Kanex dock that I have to connect to my Macbook Pro.

Yea. This Mac has 2 USB-C ports and 2 normal usb ports.

The Scarlett is connected via USB-C and the Behringer XR18 is connected via Normal USB.

Then in system preferences > Utilties > Audio MIDI Setup, I created an Aggregate device that consists of both interfaces.

3C21F4E8-0A36-47D7-9D74-D12544EA056B.jpeg

A lot of USB mixers _don’t_ have that limitation, so it’s not helpful to confuse USB with stereo.
No, I was stating the difference between most USB mixers (stereo out) vs digital mixers (multi-channel). I am not aware of any USB mixer that is NOT a digital mixer that has more than 2 channel (stereo) out. If you are, I would love to know since digital mixers are way more expensive than any analog...

Last edited:
No, I was stating the difference between most USB mixers (stereo out) vs digital mixers (multi-channel). I am not aware of any USB mixer that is NOT a digital mixer that has more than 2 channel (stereo) out. If you are, I would love to know since digital mixers are way more expensive than any analog...
*pinching the bridge of my nose*
So when you say USB mixer, you mean an analog mixer that _only_ has A/D conversion at the stereo main output? With no digital effects for each channel?

*pinching the bridge of my nose*
So when you say USB mixer, you mean an analog mixer that _only_ has A/D conversion at the stereo main output? With no digital effects for each channel?
Not exactly ... It is still an analog mixer, but it does have effects that you can apply to each of the physically plugged mics/instruments, but when you connect it via USB, it only allows you to record a stereo track of the whole mix. That is what a lot of companies are marketing as a USB mixer.

If there are digital effects per channel then every channel of the mixer is digital, it is a digital mixer. USB is a digital data transfer format, a mixer that has USB is digital.

If you want to say “too many digital mixers at a low price point only allow stereo audio through their USB port”, that would make sense.

Focusrite 18 (6 XLRs)
The Focusrite has two powered XLRs for condensor mics (eg overheads), for a total of .... wait for it....

8 XLRs :cool:

But that said, the XR18 is a great device and is really versatile.
The obvious benefit of the remote console for the XR18 is shorter mic cables. I played a gig a few years ago and the sound guy had the XR18 right up on the stage.

Last edited:
The Focusrite has two powered XLRs for condensor mics (eg overheads), for a total of .... wait for it....

8 XLRs :cool:

Yea my focusrite 18i20 for sure has 8 XLR’s and all support phantom power.

I believe the two inputs on the front are high frequency for guitars/bass but can be used for anything,

I’m actually going to list my Behringer XR18 up for sale as soon as I get my Scarlett Octopres to connect to my 18i20 to give me a full 16 inputs

If there are digital effects per channel then every channel of the mixer is digital, it is a digital mixer. USB is a digital data transfer format, a mixer that has USB is digital.

If you want to say “too many digital mixers at a low price point only allow stereo audio through their USB port”, that would make sense.
It is not me who wants to say it, the companies market it that way. if you shop for usb mixer you would normally find stereo out only, if you search for Digital mixer you will normally find multitrack output.. You must be the kid that nobody liked because everything had to be explained exactly because common sense is NOT there.....

It is not me who wants to say it, the companies market it that way. if you shop for usb mixer you would normally find stereo out only, if you search for Digital mixer you will normally find multitrack output.. You must be the kid that nobody liked because everything had to be explained exactly because common sense is NOT there.....
That's... uncalled for. I think you're the one here who is it of sync on this issue. For example, search Sweetwater for USB analog mixers. While you will see results for the smaller units that mix down to stereo via USB, you'll also find the larger and more expensive units that have more flexible and expansive routing options.

A mixer is a mixer regardless if it has a physical or software control. A USB mixer is a USB mixer regardless of whether or not it sends a multitrack or stereo data via USB.

That's... uncalled for. I think you're the one here who is it of sync on this issue. For example, search Sweetwater for USB analog mixers. While you will see results for the smaller units that mix down to stereo via USB, you'll also find the larger and more expensive units that have more flexible and expansive routing options.

A mixer is a mixer regardless if it has a physical or software control. A USB mixer is a USB mixer regardless of whether or not it sends a multitrack or stereo data via USB.
I have done that research, every time I look for USB mixer I am only able to find stereo out, and when I look for Digital mixer then multitrack output becomes an option and of course the price goes up significantly. Again, if you know of any USB mixer that has physical faders (and it's not marketed as a digital mixer) that has multitrack output (24 inputs or more) Yes I am aware of the Zoom Live track, but that unit as well as it's competitors (Tascam model 24) are marketed as digital as well and not so much mixers but recorders and at around $1000. Perhaps I need to be much more exact on why I say they are different yes a lot of mixers have USB, No, not a lot of USB mixers offer multi track output only the digital ones.. and yes I am aware that a mixer is a mixer regardless of it's output, the discussion was that there IS a difference between USB and digital and I am not the one saying that marketing is. but yet I am the one out of sync....

I don't feel the burden of proof is really on my end, but I'll play ball.

Searching with USB Analog Mixers:

I just picked up a Zoom livetrack l-8 that's working pretty good so far. It works as an computer interface and/or standalone. I've tested on a PC and it worked in Reaper but not Studio One. It works great on a mac using logic, GB and Reaper. I can import drumless tracks into the L-8 and record 6 mics without too much fuss and never touch a computer. It runs off batteries so I can take it up to the church and record piano parts on the grand or sit on the back porch and record me sucking at guitar. I'm not an expert with it but so far it's been work the price I paid. I get a 10% discount at GC (retired military) so that definitely helps.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll see if I can help.

I just picked up a Zoom livetrack l-8 that's working pretty good so far. It works as an computer interface and/or standalone. I've tested on a PC and it worked in Reaper but not Studio One. It works great on a mac using logic, GB and Reaper. I can import drumless tracks into the L-8 and record 6 mics without too much fuss and never touch a computer. It runs off batteries so I can take it up to the church and record piano parts on the grand or sit on the back porch and record me sucking at guitar. I'm not an expert with it but so far it's been work the price I paid. I get a 10% discount at GC (retired military) so that definitely helps.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll see if I can help.
Wait GC gives a military discount?? :oops: Got to check that out.

Hey Moxman

if you're interested, Im getting ready to list my XR18 up for a good deal soon. Once my new OctoPre arrives tomorrow, Im going to sell it. its less than a year old and works awesome.

let me know if you are interested

Back