Multi-Artist Concerts a good thing... or a bad thing?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I grew up in the punk/metal world, so multi artists gigs/shows are the norm for me. You get used to sitting thrugh the bbad to experience the good. You also get pleasantly surprised often times.

I think these older generation/ "reunion" type tours are bad most of the time, but to me, it is more b/c it isn't the real band, and like many have mentioned, they are only playing the radio hits, which for me, are usually the worst songs on the albums. But the cheese factor is the biggest turn off....seeing "Joe Lead Singer" 60 lbs overweight, and barely hitting any notes is not how I want to spend an evening.

Joan Jett is one of my most favorite artists, and I saw her 3 years ago by herself, for about an hour and a half, and it was great. I saw Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour and Crue on Shout At The Devil. and I want those to be my last memories of those bands...in their prime

on the other hand, many older bands are still killing it...like Maiden. But again, they only had one opening act, and it was 2 solid hours of those guys pretty much just like they were in their prime.

Macarina

Silver Member
I grew up in the punk/metal world, so multi artists gigs/shows are the norm for me. You get used to sitting thrugh the bbad to experience the good. You also get pleasantly surprised often times.

I think these older generation/ "reunion" type tours are bad most of the time, but to me, it is more b/c it isn't the real band, and like many have mentioned, they are only playing the radio hits, which for me, are usually the worst songs on the albums. But the cheese factor is the biggest turn off....seeing "Joe Lead Singer" 60 lbs overweight, and barely hitting any notes is not how I want to spend an evening.

Joan Jett is one of my most favorite artists, and I saw her 3 years ago by herself, for about an hour and a half, and it was great. I saw Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour and Crue on Shout At The Devil. and I want those to be my last memories of those bands...in their prime

on the other hand, many older bands are still killing it...like Maiden. But again, they only had one opening act, and it was 2 solid hours of those guys pretty much just like they were in their prime.
Xstr8... er, wait... what?
Anyway, I'm on the other side of the fence (not against you, just a different perspective)... I am absolutely amazed at most of the senior artists still performing today. Rod Stewart (74) killing it with his shows. Rick Springfield (70), though I was not a 'fan', I was totally blown away with his concert. Many of the older artist's I see are in great shape and truly an inspiration not on only sounding good, if not better, but just growing old with a purpose.
Of course I am viewing the world through older eyes. So I am sure I'm more biased when I see folks my own age, someone like Joe Elliot (Def Leppard) who has a little more 'fullness' to him. To me... that looks normal.

Woolwich

Silver Member
FWIW Def Leppard are as good if not better than they were "back in the day" and have had the same lineup for about 30 years so re: this particular gig, anyone going specifically to see Leppard won't be disappointed. Motley Crue are also the original lineup.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I had a great time at the first Lollapalooza. So many bands and interesting things to do.

That said, I really enjoy the 3-hour Springsteen shows. Long enough to be entertained, get the wife pregnant, and come back for the encore.