Movie Music

We have a lot of movies, like 250+. My wife doesn't work and loves movies so I try to make sure she has lots of stuff to watch. Every payday I go buy her movies, both new and old.

Recently we acquired 'A Quiet Place'. There is minimal dialogue to this film, but the music plays such a huge part in creating tension. It was quite beautiful actually.

Just got done watching Deadpool 2. While the soundtrack is pretty run of the mill with it's song selection, they were very well placed. Some mimiced the first flick, others just fit the situation.

So what movies does the music help make the film for you? Be it songs we already know, or completely generated for the movie.

I'll start with one of my favorites, The Fifth Element. When Diva Plavalaguna starts singing it is just amazing.

Please no spoilers, just the music.

Last edited:
I know it gets repetitive but I like the James Bond sound track, and also anything done by John Williams. You need to get your wife a subscription to amazon Prime or Netflix.

I've been watching the film The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightly and that movie score was pretty ingenious. Without telling you about the movie, the soundtrack gave you the feeling of something being counted down. Like time was running out, or a machines' gears were spinning as it was calculating. It was like Phillip Glass music but with the purpose of helping to tell this story. So I really liked this one.

Worn out, cliche' at this point, probably considered "bubblegum" or the pop of soundtracks by soundtrack snobs, but two came to mind immediately....

Psycho-shower scene especially.
Jaws

My wife loves movie soundtracks-all the John Williams influences are astounding. We were just watching "Sahara" and she loves that sound track. The only movie soundtrack I've bought is Zabriskie Point soundtrack back in the 70s that I think was Pink Floyd (yeah it was Pink Floyd I'm not looking it up dammit)

When it comes to mainstream movies, several come to mind:

Carlito's Way
Guardians of the Galaxy
Saturday Night Fever
Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction

For artier movies, I think of these:

The Cook, the Thief, his Wife & her Lover (Michael Nyman)
The Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)
Whale Music (Rheostatics)

For whatever reason, the music in these movies really help set the tone for each scene.

Ooh lots of good stuff here. A few of these I haven't seen but will definitely check out. I would also like to add Dazed and Confused. Probably the best classic rock sound track ever.

As far as Netflix or Amazon Prime, I need to see if the mobile hotspot on our phones will connect my Xbox 360 to the internet first with enough signal. We don't get internet where I live unless I get satellite service, and that isn't in the budget.

Wait I also bought another sound track during 70s it was Harry Nilsson's The Point-from said movie. Somebody mention Phantom of the Opera soundtrack I'm going to shoot them-yeah it's great but I heard it about 5 billion times everyday while working for about two years. It became like Chinese water torture-so like The Martian and ABBA LOL.

Taxi Driver soundtrack-just watched it. Remember the street drummer on snare-then later you hear snare background for dramatic effect.

Think how much the stabbing violins added to the shower scene of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho".

Think how much the stabbing violins added to the shower scene of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho".

Yes....but the cellos...THE CELLOS!

As she slowly slides down into the tub....popping the shower curtain rings...
Every last breath punctuated by the legato accents and raspy groans of the cellos....

Two absolute giants of film music:

John Barry.

Perhaps not always strictly "movie music" because his tunes could stand on their own as songs instead of just being the backdrop to a movie.

Sergio Leone.

What more needs to be said?

Two absolute giants of film music:

John Barry.

Perhaps not always strictly "movie music" because his tunes could stand on their own as songs instead of just being the backdrop to a movie.

Sergio Leone.

What more needs to be said?

I think you mean Ennio Morricone for the second one, but agreed.

Scarface, with its intense stringed music along with its coke-fueled early 80s no-hit-wonder music.

Definitely Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Edit:

Oh gosh, I forgot to mention Trainspotting.

Oh, and probably my favorite soundtrack of all time is from Rushmore.

I rather like the soundtrack from "The Blues Brothers" and "Cadillac Records"

I think this is biased since it's one of my favorite movies, but the score to "American Beauty" is very moving for me. It's very well paced and the music fits the mood and scene very well each time. Again though, I think that's one of the best movie creations in my little world, so probably have strong bias.

Not a movie, but a long running HBO show "Six Feet Under" also had great use of music... They were more free about using pop music as well as orchestral score where needed. The songs they used were usually cool and a good fit.

Along those lines I dug some of the tunes in the show "Sons of Anarchy" but that's more because I like biker music than think they used music particularly effectively.

Back