Moved drums, now my double bass pedals move on their own

daronmal

This wasn't an issue before I moved the whole set. I had to clean the rug underneath and then moved it all back, but now when i play, the right (main) pedals slowly shift to an off angle until it's not even hitting the bass drum head at all. I tightened the clam and the spikes into the rug and those didn't help at all. I feel like a moron.

I use a small one and it fits pretty securely but still moves.
Hmmm. Either you've got a really thin bass drum hoop ..... or perhaps a wonky pedal. Brand/model of both drum and pedal might shed some light on this. Pictures might help, also. I'd check the hoop clamp part of your pedal, for any broken, bent or missing parts.

I decided to just order new pedals, I've been wanting some new/more high quality ones for a while, so hopefully this will help with the issue.

Obviously, the dirt helped to keep everything in place, so open your vacuum cleaner bag and put it back on the rug! :)

Or: check if you set up your bass drum and pedals differently than before cleaning. I suspect that rotating them a bit to the right could counteract your creeping pedal. Try to get your pedal and leg in line and make sure that this line is perpendicular to the drum head.

Make sure you retract your spikes before you clamp it to the bass drum hoop. Sometimes the spikes lift the pedal up off the gorund enough where it won't grab the hoop well.

I found a small piece of a mousepad is a great hoop protector. It gives the pedal something to "bite" into, and the thickness of the pad makes the pedal fit tighter and protects the hoop underneath. Best of all, a cheap $3 mousepad is big enough to do about 20 bass drums!

I decided to just order new pedals, I've been wanting some new/more high quality ones for a while, so hopefully this will help with the issue.
Seems this was just the motivation you needed.
I still need closure for the issue tho...:cool:

Back