Mounting internal kick drum mic

Point noted. The dpa omni mic comment I made was in response to Larry's question using a ported head. Even though it wasn't technically a fully internal
mount (it was positioned inside the bass drum through a port in the reso head on a stand) it's a reference for how an omni has worked for dpa. The 4007 Omni was not used mic-ing the reso head on the outside of the bass drum.

Microphones never lie, especially omni mics.
Ha, I now realize I completely misunderstood what you meant by 'in front of the drums.'

I still think in my usual case, I get enough isolation that an Omni would be usable, but there are going to be a lot of variables in stage volume and configuration that I wouldn't want to, especially given more use oriented options.

For studio use, yeah, sounds like a fun time.

Ha, I now realize I completely misunderstood what you meant by 'in front of the drums.'

I still think in my usual case, I get enough isolation that an Omni would be usable, but there are going to be a lot of variables in stage volume and configuration that I wouldn't want to, especially given more use oriented options.

For studio use, yeah, sounds like a fun time.
Absolutely. DPA said if you really want to test how monstrous your monitors can sound, then try their 4007 omni mic inside a bass drum to find out.

Has anyone here ever tried using an omnidirectional mic inside a bass drum?

Any guesses to what it would sound like?

Probably bad because who does that?

It would make for an interesting experiment, ported and un
Omni mics are bad news onstage, I don't care where they are.

Back