mounting cymbals from the tom post

TDrum

On my new kit, which I've just mentioned in another post, I'm mounting the tom from a cymbal stand. I've been looking at the now redundant hole in the top of my kick drum and am wondering if I can find a use for it, perhaps mount a cymbal or some percussion. Does anyone do this or something similar?

Remove the mount. Take it to a trophy shop and have a brass plate made the same size with the exact same mounting holes...........

Custom built for .................... and your name under that.

Do it in a nice script font. Put that on there.

Mount a giant magnifying glass on it so you will look really freaky to the audience?

Sorry I'll go mow the lawn now.

I have done it lots of times. It works just fine. Peace and goodwill.

Get one of these:
98813432-260x260-0-0_Ultimate+Support+JamStands+Table+Top+Mic+Stand+Jam.jpg

take the base off, mount it upside down inside the drum holding a kick mic.

Find a way to attach a water gun to the kick, on a moveable mount like a turret. Have it fire a sharp stream of water at the crowd, operated by a switch attached to the heelplate of your hi hat.

That's what I'd do anyway.

You can mount whatever you want out of that hole. I saw a picture recently where the guy had a huge patio table umbrella sticking out of his kick. Would be great on sunny days. Just watch out if it gets too windy., haha

Its a perfect place to put a splash. My Taye set came with a double tom holder and a tube mount for whatever. I used it in many ways, crash, splash, cowbell. Welcome

Its a perfect place to put a splash. My Taye set came with a double tom holder and a tube mount for whatever. I used it in many ways, crash, splash, cowbell. Welcome

Here is a photo of my Taye with the same kind of mount. I use it to mount a crash (18" Paiste GB multi). I also clamp a boom to the tube and put my ride on it (20" Paiste 2002). It works real well for me - eliminates two stands from my set up. BTW, when you look at the photo remember that I have a left handed set up.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Don't be put off by guys having fun with your question. It is not because anybody thinks it is a silly question but some threads just turn this way. Ultimately you will always get good answers. This is a great forum with great guys and gals.

Attachments

• IMG_9797.jpg
    IMG_9797.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 921
There are no rules, clamp anything to anything, use any hole for any pleasure. In this iteration of my set, the tom mount holds a tom, two cymbals and a cowbell. Cymbals mounted on basses is a time honored tradition.

drumset.jpg

A few examples from my kits where I use different clamps and holders on my bass drum.

Attachments

• 0303021203.jpg
    0303021203.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 919
  • 0310021644.jpg
    0310021644.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 842
  • 0324021411.jpg
    0324021411.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 0227011308.jpg
    0227011308.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 960
As long as the down tube matches the mount, go for it. It saves you at least one stand. I fly a 16" crash (and occasionally my ride) from the bass drum mount.

Attachments

• bdsetup.png
    bdsetup.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 2,210
use any hole for any pleasure.

drumset.jpg

I'll thank you to keep your distance there big fella...:) That's an awful big hole in that wall....Good height too...

Loving the pic, the old barn in the back looks great and I like the black and white.

I've heard of them. So how glorious was it for you? :)

I'm going to have to give this a go and get my ride mounted there somehow. Just need to find stand/post/clamp combination that will do the job.

I want to do the same thing on my Ludwig early 70s kick. Anyone have any specific info on a sleeve or something that would reduce that hole down in a less-than-kludgey way?

UPDATE: Never mind! Just figured it out. I have to use the top and center sections of a stand, and it'll work well.

I'll thank you to keep your distance there big fella...:) That's an awful big hole in that wall....Good height too...

Loving the pic, the old barn in the back looks great and I like the black and white.

This is one of my favorite venues, but I won't say why ha ha.

Actually it's just down the street, and they treat the band like guests w/ food and drink. I swear it's not the other amenities.

Get one of these:
98813432-260x260-0-0_Ultimate+Support+JamStands+Table+Top+Mic+Stand+Jam.jpg

take the base off, mount it upside down inside the drum holding a kick mic.
Oh my God, I love this idea, take my cat dear sir, you are brilliant, you deserve it.

use any hole for any pleasure.
That's not something you hear too often.

personally I've mounted a few cymbals from my empty tom holder, but I always have a problem with the cymbals ringing when I hit the bass drum.

Back